USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace
Jul 3, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #1,682 of 1,712

Quote:
Always interesting to see inside another component.  The Audio-gd thing has a 50 ohm BNC output where it should be 75 ohms, and notice the wiring inside the box.  Totally negates any advantages of the BNC anyway....

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Glad someone agrees with me. When I say stuff like that, everyone argues with me.

Jocko

Jul 3, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #1,683 of 1,712

Quote:
I like it when companies do comparisons for us.

Makes it more believable, right?

Quote:
I wonder how USB can power it ? But maybe the DSP is inactive if you don't use external power.

It should even give a better solution paired with audio-gd non DSP dacs.

Why do you think it's USB powered?  And I don't understand what the DSP does?  Might you explain?

USG

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #1,684 of 1,712
Based on this picture it can be powered either from USB or external PSU, like Trends. Does it do 24/192 or at least 96, is it async, if not afraid it's just another Trends, which was not bad at all?

Quote:
Makes it more believable, right?

Why do you think it's USB powered?  And I don't understand what the DSP does?  Might you explain?

USG

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #1,685 of 1,712
upstateguy, sigh, it's pretty common sense that you can't trust the words of a company regarding competitive products. I was just poking fun at the way audio-gd said they would "kill it" if they aren't satisfied.

It can be powered by usb or an optional outboard psu.

Here's the product information on the recently discontinued ref-3 which had dsp-3.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/RE3/RE3EN.htm

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #1,686 of 1,712

Quote:
upstateguy, sigh, it's pretty common sense that you can't trust the words of a company regarding competitive products. I was just poking fun at the way audio-gd said they would "kill it" if they aren't satisfied.

I realized that after the post.......
eek.gif

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #1,687 of 1,712

Quote:

Here's the product information on the recently discontinued ref-3 which had dsp-3.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/RE3/RE3EN.htm

[size=x-small]Built in DSP-3 board, data in-phase processor for digital audio.208-pin PQFP package, Manufactured on 300-mm wafers, using 90-nm low-k dielectric process. Devices offer advanced features for high-performance digital signal processing (DSP) applications with up to 250-MHz Data and Master-clock in-phase processing without jitter.[/size]

[size=x-small] DSP-3 can output signal in original sampling rate or upsample it at the rate of 48KHz, 96KHz, and 192KHz.[/size]

OIC 

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #1,688 of 1,712
Kinda renews my interest in that idea I had a while back for the RE1/CD7...eliminating the BNC cable and the jacks and going with 75 ohm coax (Illumati) from the CD7's output board directly to the RE1's digital inputs.

I guess the MAX mod series is never really in a "finished state" just ever changing levels or revision as the ideas and info are absorbed and applied/tested. Thanks to all for all the insight WRT technical aspects/theory/fact etc. I really appreciate this info. FWIW the DSP1 processor is supposed to terminate the data signal correctly (on die). Check the Alterra Cyclone II data sheet/web site for details.

I believe the CD7 and the RE1 are correctly terminated at each end which is why the pairing sounds as good as it does using a HQ BNC cable like the Furutech I had built (even more so now with the various DIY mods I've hatched and applied over the last 6 months).

Peete.

Jul 3, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #1,689 of 1,712

Quote:
  Glad someone agrees with me. When I say stuff like that, everyone argues with me.

Jocko

You are not alone.  They argue with me too.  Everyone on the forums is an expert you know....

Once in a while someone actually learns from these posts, if they are willing to put their egos aside.  I done know why I bother frankly.  Even the simplest things are trade secrets.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Jul 3, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #1,690 of 1,712

Quote:
 upstateguy, sigh, it's pretty common sense that you can't trust the words of a company regarding competitive products.

Sure, just go ahead and ignore the technical truths and believe the marketing BS.  I suppose you believe what all these DAC manufacturers claim about jitter too.  Zero jitter? Not possible.

When are you guys going to realize that Jocko and I are real engineers with decades of experience at real companies?  Do you think that we would waste our life working for some funky audio company for our real careers??

Steve N.

Jul 3, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #1,691 of 1,712
audioengr, my post was not referring to anything you wrote. It was referring specifically to the brewing argument about the significance of audio-gd using the m2tech hiface to see how good their usbface fares.

You are referring to the ref 3 product page where it says "processing without jitter"? Just recently audio-gd's site has had its English fixed up, and there may be some technical detail mistakes that are still there even though many of the grammar mistakes are gone. If they make the same mistake of saying zero jitter on the new usbface product page  I will send them an email to try to fix it.

Jul 4, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #1,692 of 1,712

Quote:

You are not alone.  They argue with me too.  Everyone on the forums is an expert you know....

Once in a while someone actually learns from these posts, if they are willing to put their egos aside.  I don't know why I bother frankly.  Even the simplest things are trade secrets.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Quote:

Sure, just go ahead and ignore the technical truths and believe the marketing BS.  I suppose you believe what all these DAC manufacturers claim about jitter too.  Zero jitter? Not possible.

When are you guys going to realize that Jocko and I are real engineers with decades of experience at real companies?  Do you think that we would waste our life working for some funky audio company for our real careers??

Steve N.

QFT

Jul 4, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #1,693 of 1,712
Steve: Irrespective of anything useful in your above posts, do you understand why, on this forum, they are not appropriate (at least in the manner in which you have written them)?

Jul 4, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #1,694 of 1,712

Quote:
audioengr said:

Steve N.

LOL, sounds like someone's jealous because his $3k dacs and $1k cables aren't doing too hot.  If 4 out of 4 of my UC Berkeley EE professors called bull on hifi power cables what makes you think you qualify as a real engineer.  I have yet to meet a real engineer who can quantify any measurable difference between a stock and $1k overpriced pos power cable.

Regarding his real company argument- bose and monster are as real as companies get.  Genius marketing team and terrible products.  I really dont give a crap what stereophile/other magazines says about your products if every single "review" is ad that basically says "this @#$* is amazing, BIN!".  I come to head-fi to get honest reviews like the op's comparison.  Real reviews from real people who dont need to appeal to advertisers.

"Funky" audio company?  Just cause he's a foreigner or the english on his site isnt that great?  Kingwa's products are amazing and he actually takes the time to read the feedback he gets from head-fi. 

Sorry for the rant guys but arrogant idiots like this guy piss me off.

Jul 4, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #1,695 of 1,712
Guys,
If somebody posts that a product has a technical shortcoming, I think you should listen & evaluate! Otherwise you are censoring information that maybe to your benefit You have to be able to separate marketing issues from technical issues. There does seem to be a knee jerk mis-trust on this forum of any manufacturer's statement - the best way to avoid this is to begin to get some technical understanding of the field & make your own judgements or at least be able to evaluate others technical claims. There is so much mis-information in audio I would have imagined that getting to the heart of a product technically would be of interest?

I thought the same (& some other issues) when I saw the pictures but didn't make the post because I thought there might be this reaction & I'm selling modified Hiface products so I can see how this is going to be perceived. Please, don't get me wrong, I'm sure Kingwa will address what has been said here & have a great product on his hands. You know, if you think about it,  what Steve has posted will actually benefit everybody - Kingwa, his customers & other audio manufacturers! This is if what he said is correct & the only way you will be able to judge this is with some technical understanding. 

I hope this isn't perceived to be arrogant & doesn't draw fire as it's not intended to be anything other than a pause for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back