usb dac
May 26, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #181 of 519
If you want an S/PDIF output, but a Hi-Fi Link ($49US). It's cheaper and it has both coaxial and optical outputs.

This board will easily cost $70-$100 to build, so it's not feasible if all you want is a digital output.

May 26, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #182 of 519
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
Would the board be easy to modify to add a SPDIF output?

no, it would be impossible. The output of the PCM2702 is purely analog. The PCM2704 will give you digital output, but you're on your own in that case

g

Jun 3, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #184 of 519
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
How do you plan on soldering the SSOP-28 chips on?

One technique I'm rather fond of is to simply cover one side of the chip with solder - then take off all the excess with solder wick. Works like a charm. I've soldered some very nasty looking chips with this method all with 100% success.
icon10.gif

Jun 3, 2004 at 7:04 AM Post #186 of 519
that's pretty good idea I'd say, I should try it next time I'll be soldering some SSOP..

Jun 4, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #190 of 519
We're also looking at putting together a parts bag for most of the small stuff to lower the cost and reduce the number of parts sources for people wanting to build the DAC. So far, it looks like we'll be able to have everything except the chips available to ship with the boards. That way, you only have to get the chips (via your preferred method, see above) and a suitable case. All the resistors, caps, crystal, header strip, battery plug, etc. would all be included at a pretty low cost too since we can get the 50+ discount on most of the items.

Jun 4, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #191 of 519
I updated the parts list a couple of days ago for those interested:

http://www.mellowparenting.demon.co....er/usbdac.html

As Itz said, we've been looking at parts bags, and the more I think about it the more it makes sense:
  1. Stops 25 x shipping costs (at least, each board needs components from 2/3 different US suppliers)
  2. Avoids part incompatability
  3. Take advantage of pretty decent discounts over single prices: who wants to buy or sell 1 SMD resistor?
As things stand, the boards will cost £5.75 each without components, plus a little (60p or so) for shipping... The boards will arrive very soon, and I'll let people take a look at them when I get them...

stay tuned...

g

Jun 8, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #193 of 519
Okay folks, I got the boards today, and I just had to build one
smily_headphones1.gif

well, to my delight it worked first time, on the computer at least. I've still got to get my Black Gates for the output coupling stages so it might not have produced any sounds, but it popped up straight away in WinXP so initial impressions are good! The board is actually smaller than I realised, took me about an hour to populate it after I found my snips (under a pile a paper). Bad news is my camera ran out of battery and is charging just now, and the only shot I could get was this rather blurred photo:

USB_fin1.jpg

for size comparison, that's a Siemens c45 phone, and that is a normal size Control key on a keyboard, so this thing is small. In fact it is even smaller than I anticipated..

so folks, give us a week or two to verify the analog out and then I'll ship these out.

Thanks to: 00940 (obviously), Nisbeth and ITZBITZ for agreeing to test the boards

g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back