USB Cable popularity check
Jan 6, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #16 of 213
Acoustic Revive PL

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #17 of 213
Another vote for Wireworld Starlight, not that expensive and a good quality cable.

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #18 of 213
Quote:
Another vote for Wireworld Starlight, not that expensive and a good quality cable.

I've just googled and that cable seems to sell in the US for $89.95.

For a USB cable that is an absolutely extortionate price.

At the Wireworld website there is the usual pseudo science which accompanies these cables.

It is very likely that these cables offer no advantages over regular USB cables that you can buy for a quarter of the price.

Even if the Wireworld starlight did deliver advantages I am extremely sceptical that the manufacturing costs are four times as much as a regular USB cable. Do you really believe that yourself?

I would ask people to remember that the perceived improvements in these cables are most likely auto-suggestion.

Remember that the human hearing is extremely susceptible to auto-suggestion.

What happens is that you plug in your bright red Wireworld cable then listen to music through your system. Because you can see the Wireworld and you know you are using it you believe that you can hear differences in the reproduction of the music.

Because the hearing is so susceptible to auto-suggestion it is true that you will indeed actually "hear" differences. But this is because the human hearing is selective, it can hone in on any given sound for example, the human hearing can accentuate some aspects of sound over others. The human hearing is truly a superb and wonderful thing, but in this instance its abilities are being made working against you.

Please do not waste your money on these cables until the manufacturers (or indeed anyone) demonstrate improvements with properly conducted double blind listening tests.

Please note my statements are as true of all the ludicrously expensive audio cables you see for sale.

In summary:

1. Do not buy unless the manufacturer can demonstrate their benefits with properly conducted blind listening tests.

2. Do not believe that because some audio reviewer says something is good, it means it is good. The audio reviewers are responding to auto-suggestion. The only valid audio reviews are those conducted blind.

3. Do not believe "gurus" in the audio industry. Remember that the biggest of the "gurus" (Ivor Tiefenbrun) have been exposed by double blind listening tests as unable to hear changes in audio setups according to their magical beliefs.

4. When you do buy cables buy good quality well made cables from regular retailers who are not promising magical pseudo science.

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #19 of 213
Guys, This is not the place to discuss the scientific merits (or lack there of) of digital cables.

If you you use printer cables or monoprice cables, list them here.

If you use expensive digital cables, list them here.

Put me down for another monoprice cable.

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #21 of 213
The freebies that came with my DACs and sometimes with printers.  Never had to buy a USB cable for audio.

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #22 of 213
Quote:

I've just googled and that cable seems to sell in the US for $89.95.

For a USB cable that is an absolutely extortionate price.

At the Wireworld website there is the usual pseudo science which accompanies these cables.

It is very likely that these cables offer no advantages over regular USB cables that you can buy for a quarter of the price.

Even if the Wireworld starlight did deliver advantages I am extremely sceptical that the manufacturing costs are four times as much as a regular USB cable. Do you really believe that yourself?

I would ask people to remember that the perceived improvements in these cables are most likely auto-suggestion.

Remember that the human hearing is extremely susceptible to auto-suggestion.

What happens is that you plug in your bright red Wireworld cable then listen to music through your system. Because you can see the Wireworld and you know you are using it you believe that you can hear differences in the reproduction of the music.

Because the hearing is so susceptible to auto-suggestion it is true that you will indeed actually "hear" differences. But this is because the human hearing is selective, it can hone in on any given sound for example, the human hearing can accentuate some aspects of sound over others. The human hearing is truly a superb and wonderful thing, but in this instance its abilities are being made working against you.

Please do not waste your money on these cables until the manufacturers (or indeed anyone) demonstrate improvements with properly conducted double blind listening tests.

Please note my statements are as true of all the ludicrously expensive audio cables you see for sale.

In summary:

1. Do not buy unless the manufacturer can demonstrate their benefits with properly conducted blind listening tests.

2. Do not believe that because some audio reviewer says something is good, it means it is good. The audio reviewers are responding to auto-suggestion. The only valid audio reviews are those conducted blind.

3. Do not believe "gurus" in the audio industry. Remember that the biggest of the "gurus" (Ivor Tiefenbrun) have been exposed by double blind listening tests as unable to hear changes in audio setups according to their magical beliefs.

4. When you do buy cables buy good quality well made cables from regular retailers who are not promising magical pseudo science.

LMAO!! Good entertainment...

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #24 of 213
I am laughing that you guys can't let it go or follow directions

Quote:
So, copy the most updated list, paste it in the reply box and add your cable to the list. If your cable is already on the list, just increment the number in the bracket.

Cardas Clear (1)
Wireworld Starlight (3)
Whiphlash Audio Polestar (1)
Acoustic Revive PL (1)
Monoprice (3)
Basement printer cables (1)
Free cable that came with the DAC (1)

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #26 of 213
Cardas Clear (1)
Wireworld Starlight (3)
Acoustic Revive PL (1)
Monoprice (4)

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #27 of 213
Quote:
I am laughing that you guys can't let it go or follow directions

I and others are doing you a favour by telling you about auto-suggestion in hearing.

You can laugh and ignore it if you wish, I don't mind that at all, but you will waste a lot of money on the magical audio cables which bring no benefits.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #29 of 213
Quote:

I and others are doing you a favour by telling you about auto-suggestion in hearing.

You can laugh and ignore it if you wish, I don't mind that at all, but you will waste a lot of money on the magical audio cables which bring no benefits.

you'd be doing me a favor if you would stop posting in this thread.  I am probably more skeptical about cables than you, but as has been mentioned numerous times in this thread....Take it to the sound science forum, which is exactly what that forum was designed for.

this thread is for what USB cable you use.

Cardas Clear (1)
Wireworld Starlight (3)
Acoustic Revive PL (1)
Monoprice (4)

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #30 of 213
Quote:
There has recently been a huge increase in the amount of different hi end USB cables out there, so I wanted to see which ones are the most popular, personally I have a Cardas Clearlink, but am looking to upgrade

So, copy the most updated list, paste it in the reply box and add your cable to the list. If your cable is already on the list, just increment the number in the bracket.

here is an example in a similar thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/454955/dac-popularity-check
------------------------------

Cardas Clear (1)

Mr Tube Rolling OP,

There is a vote function any thread starter can use.
None of my business really, but you could re-start this thread in the Cable forum and use the vote function, i.e. list all the popular USB cables and let participats vote.
Like I said, just trying to make a suggestion.

The only other suggestion I could make is tell the trolls and thread crappers to stay away.  
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back