USB Cable popularity check
Jan 8, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #46 of 213
Enjoyed that this already sparked a debate despite caveats.

Anyway, I have both the Kimber Kable USB cable (the 'regular' non-Silver version) and the Furutech GT2 USB cable, and definitely prefer the Furutech, more gain and resolving character, more black background. Kimber Kable has it beat in high frequencies and 'air', though. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #47 of 213
Added +1 to Monoprice, "Free cable that came with the DAC", and "One of the many cables that came with my printer". Also captured Furutech and Kimber from internethandle:

Monoprice (5)
Free cable that came with the DAC (4)
Wireworld Starlight (3)
One of the many cables that came with my printer (2)
Audioquest Cinnamon (2)
Kimber (2)
Cardas Clear (2)
Audioquest Coffee (1)
Audioquest Diamond (1)
Whiplash Audio Polestar (1)
Acoustic Revive PL (1)
Basement printer cables (1)
Locus Polestar (1)
USB A male to a USB B male adapter (1)

Furutech GT2 USB cable (1)

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #48 of 213
Monoprice (5)
Wireworld Starlight (3)
Audioquest Cinnamon (2)
Kimber (2)
Cardas Clear (2)
Audioquest Coffee (1)
Audioquest Diamond (1)
Acoustic Revive PL (1)
Locus Polestar (1)

Supra USB cable (1)

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #49 of 213
Monoprice (5)
Wireworld Starlight (4)
Wireworld Silver Starlight (1)
Audioquest Cinnamon (2)
Kimber (2)
Cardas Clear (2)
Audioquest Coffee (1)
Audioquest Diamond (1)
Acoustic Revive PL (1)
Locus Polestar (1)

Supra USB cable (1)

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #50 of 213
I'm usually not too spendy on cables however I do like the build quality and aesthetics of the Wireworld Ultraviolet/Starlight cables.  As far as sound quality I can't tell If it would make a difference or not but I personally see no harm if someone believes it does.  Regardless of the scientific proof, if it produces a subjective difference to the listener then I see no harm, even if it's completely placebo effect.  The end result is still the same, a positive subjective improvement.  

People underestimate the positive (or negative) effects of psycho-acoustics.  I eventually sold my Audeze LCD-2 because the poor comfort would affect my subjective listening pleasure.  The brain is really the final "converter" in the audio chain so we shouldn't underestimate it's effect.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #51 of 213
And we were doing so well there for a while :)

Monoprice (5)
Wireworld Starlight (4)
Audioquest Cinnamon (2)
Kimber (2)
Cardas Clear (2)
Audioquest Coffee (1)
Audioquest Diamond (1)
Acoustic Revive PL (1)
Locus Polestar (1)

Supra USB cable (1)

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #52 of 213
Quote:
I'm usually not too spendy on cables however I do like the build quality and aesthetics of the Wireworld Ultraviolet/Starlight cables.  As far as sound quality I can't tell If it would make a difference or not but I personally see no harm if someone believes it does.  Regardless of the scientific proof, if it produces a a subjective difference to the listener then I see no harm, even if it's completely placebo effect.  The end result is still the same, a positive subjective improvement.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #53 of 213
Quote:
I'm usually not too spendy on cables however I do like the build quality and aesthetics of the Wireworld Ultraviolet/Starlight cables.  As far as sound quality I can't tell If it would make a difference or not but I personally see no harm if someone believes it does.  Regardless of the scientific proof, if it produces a a subjective difference to the listener then I see no harm, even if it's completely placebo effect.  The end result is still the same, a positive subjective improvement.  

People underestimate the positive (or negative) effects of psycho-acoustics.  I eventually sold my Audeze LCD-2 because the poor comfort would affect my subjective listening pleasure.  The brain is really the final "converter" in the audio chain so we shouldn't underestimate it's effect.

I feel the same way. I tend to react to mythological cable claims. However, I do see value on well made durable connectors, low micro-phonics, and aesthetics. I value when a manufacturer remains honest and forward about what he/she is offering to his/her costumers.

Having a nice and dedicated audio setup with expensive and comfortable furniture in the right room would definitively benefit from nicely built amp, headphones and cables... I just don't have that room available yet
frown.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #54 of 213
Monoprice (5)
Wireworld Starlight (4)
Audioquest Cinnamon (2)
Kimber (2)
Cardas Clear (2)
Audioquest Coffee (1)

Audioquest Diamond (1)

Acoustic Revive PL (1)

Locus Polestar (1)

Supra USB cable (2)

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #55 of 213
Quote:
And we were doing so well there for a while :)

My apologies, no intentions of getting too off topic.  I didn't realize I was only reading on the first page when I replied 
blink.gif
  I try to take a balanced middle ground approach to these types of things to avoid controversy.

Anyways back on topic,

Yes I've previously owned the Wireworld starlight usb, bnc coax, and 2 power cables but had to sell them awhile back.

Maybe later down the road when I'm settled on a system for awhile I'll start tweaking with "fancy" cables again.  I think I have some strage attraction to flat cables I dunno...

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #56 of 213
Im using Acoustic Revive PL, Snotora and Wireworld Starlight.   (I prefer them in that order)    So far I think the IFI Iusb power makes more difference than the cable.   (BTW)

To the skeptics:  Jitter and noise are REAL and not imaginary.  The digital format still uses analog electrical signals.  You can use a scope to see the eye pattern and analyze the signal.   I am an EE what are you credentials?

http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/iUSB.html

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #57 of 213
Quote:
Im using Acoustic Revive PL, Snotora and Wireworld Starlight.   (I prefer them in that order)    So far I think the IFI Iusb power makes more difference than the cable.   (BTW)

To the skeptics:  Jitter and noise are REAL and not imaginary.  The digital format still uses analog electrical signals.  You can use a scope to see the eye pattern and analyze the signal.   I am an EE what are you credentials?

http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/iUSB.html

Right... the switching power supply in a computer has noise.  But USB uses 5V DC out (devoting two of the 4 wires to +5 and gnd) and even the link you sent shows the "noise" as 100 (micro)V (100/5,000,000) which can rather easily be evened out by putting a capacitor inline with the voltage if that's important.  The spec is for power to be +/- 0.25 V too, so the specification allows for far more variation than the noise cited in your link.

USB signals use negotiated clock rates and half-duplex differential signalling through the twisted pair in a shielded wire.  They register as plugged in via a 3.3V draw on a data line and then communicate via signals with voltage differences between both data wires of around 0 volts to 3.3 volts (which is higher voltages than most analog audio signals, where low voltage signals are in danger of EMI-based degredation).  The signal is chopped up into so many "chunks" and is registered/rounded to be a 1 or 0.  Take a look at the encoding section on wikipedia to see how the wires, which are twisted pair so they'd be subject to the same interference, use the differential signalling and reduce the effects of noise in a packet.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#Signaling  For USB cables of 1-2 meters, you'd have to get a really cummy cable with obscenely off voltages and noise differing on one wire in the twisted pair vs the other to have that rounding be thrown off ...  and you'd have some other major issues if the noise was sufficient to interfere with the signalling rate.

If this were a real issue, then really fast USB connected hard drives would run slower depending on if you were using any old USB cable vs plugged into an expensive "audiophile" usb cable.

Source:  years of physics, instrument design course, well along my way to a PhD in Chemistry

For voting purposes, I have a number of USB cables from monoprice as well as other ones from printers and whatnot.  I've not heard any difference.

I like monoprice because it's nice to be able to have a cable match the length needed, but have no fear of any USB cable that doens't feel like it's falling apart.

updated list:
Monoprice (6)

Wireworld Starlight (4)

One of the many cables that came with my printer (3)

Audioquest Cinnamon (2)
Cardas Clear (2)
Kimber (2)
Supra USB cable (2)

Acoustic Revive PL (1)
Audioquest Coffee (1)
Audioquest Diamond (1)
Locus Polestar (1)

(although printer cables are USB A male to B male so the adapter entry, basement printer cables, and cable that came with my printer entries may all refer to the same thing)

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #58 of 213
One guy is an EE, the other "has years of physics, instrument design course" (whatever that means),
who ya gonna listen to?

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #60 of 213
Quote:
I don't see my Pangea on the list...
A great cable into a hex or Conductor.

I don't even see the list, oh that's because you didn't post one.

Monoprice (6)
Wireworld Starlight (4)
One of the many cables that came with my printer (3)
Audioquest Cinnamon (2)
Cardas Clear (2)
Kimber (2)
Supra USB cable (2)
Acoustic Revive PL (1)
Audioquest Coffee (1)
Audioquest Diamond (1)
Locus Polestar (1)
Guitardave's Pangea (1)