USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Mar 4, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #6,181 of 6,519
Is Helm Bolt Audio not good? I like it but I don't know if it's better.
Never heard of it.
Just do a quick search of it, i don't like how it looks immediately.
Just think about the 9038D instead. It has a very complicated design, the maker is almost like a nerd, which really focus on making his stuff better. 9038D was proven to be good, both sound and spec wise. Other than no physical button and 4.4, it has a really wide range of adjustment. The widest if i have to be honest, other than no EQ function like with Fiio's

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #6,182 of 6,519
It's Honor X9B, was reading latest Honor phones don't work with USB DACs. Anyhoo, after playing around in developer options I got it to work with Sonata HD but sound is a tad harsh and lacks emotion compared to when I use it with my laptop. So maybe this phone is not a good transport?
Just to update this, I tried a Vention dongle, sounded painful, an Apple copy, less but also painful, a real Apple dongle, sounds good!

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #6,184 of 6,519
What is the best (and smallest) 3.5 DAC dongle would you recommend?

Shaling UA1Plus is currently the best in my collection (great size, dual CS43131 DAC chips... but a bit power hungry when idle). IBasso DC05 is also a good performing (Dual ES9219C DAC chips), any other that would come to mind?

Some would say the Apple dongle is enough for a small and cheap dongle (costs sub $10 USD).

Capture.JPG

Well the Apple dongle is very neutralish with good measurements. But personally, it can't drive high impedance/low sensitivity gear well IMO. Not a matter of volume but more that bass isn't tight with a lack of dynamics with hard to drive gear. But for most IEMs it does a good job for the coin.

For a bit more power but in the same small profile, the Fiio KA11 is very solid at just below $30 USD. It kicks out huge power at 200 mW at 32 Ω. It is on the warmer side and not exactly neutral, but beats some pricier dongles in terms of sheer power, for a 3.5mm only dongle.

KA_11_1.jpg

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:23 AM Post #6,185 of 6,519
Some would say the Apple dongle is enough for a small and cheap dongle (costs sub $10 USD).

Capture.JPG

Well the Apple dongle is very neutralish with good measurements. But personally, it can't drive high impedance/low sensitivity gear well IMO. Not a matter of volume but more that bass isn't tight with a lack of dynamics with hard to drive gear. But for most IEMs it does a good job for the coin.

For a bit more power but in the same small profile, the Fiio KA11 is very solid at just below $30 USD. It kicks out huge power at 200 mW at 32 Ω. It is on the warmer side and not exactly neutral, but beats some pricier dongles in terms of sheer power, for a 3.5mm only dongle.

KA_11_1.jpg
Thank you (forgot to specify that I am an Apple-free person). .... I have the Fiio, it sounds good but Shanking UA1Plus is still better albeit Fiio drains a bit less power when idle..

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #6,186 of 6,519
Thank you (forgot to specify that I am an Apple-free person). .... I have the Fiio, it sounds good but Shanking UA1Plus is still better albeit Fiio drains a bit less power when idle..

I'm an Android person too, but there is a USB-C version of the Apple dongle actually, which I have 2 sets.

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #6,187 of 6,519
I'm an Android person too, but there is a USB-C version of the Apple dongle actually, which I have 2 sets.
Welcome to the club ! As a unix engineer, iOS is too closed for me; main reason to use android for 14 years now. No regrets at all.
2 apple dongles, check; no other apple products, check.

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #6,188 of 6,519
This must be for the new USB iPhones,... will give it it try

(Even if, in truth, I am more on the hunt for dual processors dongles ... I have 26 of them so far so I am trying to be a bit more focused when buying another of these)

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #6,190 of 6,519

Shaling UA1Plus is currently the best in my collection (great size, dual CS43131 DAC chips... but a bit power hungry when idle). IBasso DC05 is also a good performing (Dual ES9219C DAC chips), any other that would come to mind?
Had an OG iBasso DC05 and really enjoyed it, if you like the ESS sound. The OG DC04 and 03 had the same form factor and also have a good following. DDhifi do some nice minimal dongles too, but IDK how the sound compares.

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #6,191 of 6,519
Well the Apple dongle is very neutralish with good measurements. But personally, it can't drive high impedance/low sensitivity gear well IMO. Not a matter of volume but more that bass isn't tight with a lack of dynamics with hard to drive gear. But for most IEMs it does a good job for the coin
As an aux output to be connected to speakers, would it work well?

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #6,192 of 6,519
Both Hiby FC1 and iBasso DC03pro are very small and works well.

For 4.4mm, Simgot DEW4X is small and light, but iBasso DC04pro is my favourite.

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #6,193 of 6,519

I've not tried that actually, maybe the rest in the thread who have attempted this may advise better?

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #6,194 of 6,519
I have a IBassoDC05 and a ShanlingUA1s that I alternate with powered speakers and they sound really good!
The trick is to get volume levels right so that they there is no clipping along the chain nor that the signal might get too low to the point of not being processed correctly.

Ordered a USB Apple dongle and will give that a try soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back