USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jun 16, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #5,056 of 6,468
So finally after 5+ years of service, my LG v30+ gave up on me yesterday. After toying with an idea of getting an xperia (cos of 3.5mm headphone jack) and given it doesnt have same DAC/AMP capabilities, I swallowed the pill and got an S23.

May i seek advise - Is there any sub $100 (or around $50) adapters that can drive HD 6xx. I'd have preferred somewhat non bulky (unlike JCally AP10), but if they get the job done - think I'd take it.

Thanks in advance
Most 4.4 mm dongles should power them fine, but you will need 4.4 mm balanced cable for your HD6XX.

I suggest:
https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/tanchjim-space-dual-cs43131-portable-usb-dac-amp

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005067078350.html

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #5,057 of 6,468
So finally after 5+ years of service, my LG v30+ gave up on me yesterday. After toying with an idea of getting an xperia (cos of 3.5mm headphone jack) and given it doesnt have same DAC/AMP capabilities, I swallowed the pill and got an S23.

May i seek advise - Is there any sub $100 (or around $50) adapters that can drive HD 6xx. I'd have preferred somewhat non bulky (unlike JCally AP10), but if they get the job done - think I'd take it.

Thanks in advance
Tanchjim Space would be a good choice.
If you don't need volume control and you have a 4.4mm cable there is also the FiiO KA2, it's the smallest balanced DAC/AMP (dual CS43131) and you can get it for like 40 bucks.

Jun 16, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #5,058 of 6,468
How does Moondrop Dawn 4.4 compares the favourites DC04 pro and Tanchjim Space?

Jun 17, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #5,059 of 6,468
Very pleased with the sound of the iBasso dc04 pro. A lot of power and clarity for the Meze 99 classics. One of the things I appreciate most about this DAC is that even at low volume everything is in its place, the sub-bass, the vocals, the cymbals… and at high and very high volume nothing distorts and it’s very pleasant to listen to. Good gadget for sure.

Jun 17, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #5,061 of 6,468
Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #5,063 of 6,468
I wish more reviewers talked about the lack of volume memory on tanchjim space. But I found only 1 reviewer who talked about it and dismissed it as a minor inconvenience. I guess maybe since I'm a low volume listener I care too much about my ears health and the space gets me sweating bricks when it randomly disconnects and threatens to reconnect at high volume. Probably it's the usb cable's issue, but the mere chance of it happening makes me insecure lol. But I guess it's less of an issue if you are a headphone user. Sorry... just a random rant.

If tanchjim is somehow seeing this, I hope they implement some firmware update or volume memory in their next dongle.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #5,064 of 6,468
I wish more reviewers talked about the lack of volume memory on tanchjim space. But I found only 1 reviewer who talked about it and dismissed it as a minor inconvenience. I guess maybe since I'm a low volume listener I care too much about my ears health and the space gets me sweating bricks when it randomly disconnects and threatens to reconnect at high volume. Probably it's the usb cable's issue, but the mere chance of it happening makes me insecure lol. But I guess it's less of an issue if you are a headphone user. Sorry... just a random rant.

If tanchjim is somehow seeing this, I hope they implement some firmware update or volume memory in their next dongle.
Volume memory would be a nice touch yes. That said I don't have the same issue as you, actually when I put the Space on high gain and crank up the volume of my phone to the max, the sound level is almost ideal to my ears. I just add a couple of clicks on the Space and it's perfect.

Jun 17, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #5,065 of 6,468

I got rid of an E1DA DAC because of a similar concern, but the Space isn't nearly as dangerous.

Jun 17, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #5,066 of 6,468
I got rid of an E1DA DAC because of a similar concern, but the Space isn't nearly as dangerous.
I find comfort in your comment, because I had the exact same concern with the E1DA DAC as well lol XD. Almost blew my ears 3 times and made me avoid any dongle without volume buttons. It had a volume limiter later on but oh well, it's like the boy that cried wolf at that point.

Volume memory would be a nice touch yes. That said I don't have the same issue as you, actually when I put the Space on high gain and crank up the volume of my phone to the max, the sound level is almost ideal to my ears. I just add a couple of clicks on the Space and it's perfect.
on space's default volume and high gain, my phone volume has to be at minimum volume for it to be ok for my ears. Yeah I'm that sensitive I guess :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #5,067 of 6,468
I find comfort in your comment, because I had the exact same concern with the E1DA DAC as well lol XD. Almost blew my ears 3 times and made me avoid any dongle without volume buttons. It had a volume limiter later on but oh well, it's like the boy that cried wolf at that point.

on space's default volume and high gain, my phone volume has to be at minimum volume for it to be ok for my ears. Yeah I'm that sensitive I guess :sweat_smile:
I think it depends a lot on how sensitive your headphones or earphones are. The default volume might be too high for safety with some devices. Regardless, you have to find a way to protect your hearing.

Jun 17, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #5,068 of 6,468
Dongles occasionally do crank up the volume to max when connected to a source (notebook, phone), so it is good practice to:
  1. Check volume level at source, after connecting the dongle,
  2. Play song,
  3. Insert IEMs if all Ok.

Jun 17, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #5,070 of 6,468
Some fine sounding dongles would end up in the trash :scream:

Good advice, but only for the rich :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back