USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jun 14, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #5,041 of 6,468
how warm it is?
how was it compared to the current darling DC04Pro?
I could answer this in 2 ways XD

First, it remains cool to the touch after playing for some time out of 4.4mm. this is impressive as dc04 pro would heat up a little.

hmm I don't know how else to describe how warm it sounds besides how I already did in the original post. It should be my warmest dongle to date (I've also had Paw S1 with its AK chip) and the only one to be warm enough to have this gritty feel. Even though warm, it is not smooth like DC04pro because of its grittiness and meatiness, though I imagine some might find this a little muddy in the lower mids/mid bass section. DC04pro definitely still wins in the dynamics and detail department and will likely remain my top dongle to date, but in my bunch of neutral to bright dongles, I've been missing a warm signature, and the bhd pro fills a nice niche (think warm sound countering noisy trains/buses lol)

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #5,042 of 6,468
I could answer this in 2 ways XD

First, it remains cool to the touch after playing for some time out of 4.4mm. this is impressive as dc04 pro would heat up a little.

hmm I don't know how else to describe how warm it sounds besides how I already did in the original post. It should be my warmest dongle to date (I've also had Paw S1 with its AK chip) and the only one to be warm enough to have this gritty feel. Even though warm, it is not smooth like DC04pro because of its grittiness and meatiness, though I imagine some might find this a little muddy in the lower mids/mid bass section. DC04pro definitely still wins in the dynamics and detail department and will likely remain my top dongle to date, but in my bunch of neutral to bright dongles, I've been missing a warm signature, and the bhd pro fills a nice niche (think warm sound countering noisy trains/buses lol)
Shio is supposedly warmer too. Have you tried it

Jun 14, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #5,043 of 6,468
Shiio is warm, but stays cool. Ibasso is cool, but gets warm :D

Jun 14, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #5,045 of 6,468
Bhd pro is warmer sounding than shio
Shio "as is," was quite warm.
Then, trying to install updates for the non-functional volume control made Shio much more brighter/leaner, still I failed to get a proper volume control in Android with immature updates..., only in Windows.
My bottom line lesson/opinion - do avoid Shio as a half-baked/competent product, not worth it, giving Tempotec or Tanchjim comparable dongles.

For more budget usb DACs, Whizzer DA1 is great or JCally JM06 pro.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #5,046 of 6,468
I asked tempotec if the sound was intended to be warm, they replied
Screenshot_20230615_095529.jpg

Jun 15, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #5,047 of 6,468
I asked tempotec if the sound was intended to be warm, they replied Screenshot_20230615_095529.jpg
I'd very much like to buy the bhd pro, given the sale price. But they don't ship to India.

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #5,049 of 6,468
I'd like to ask this question again. Does anyone have experience of these warm sounding dongles improving the lean sound of planar IEMs? I've got kz PR2 and looking to upgrade to a 4vrms dongle, if they can give little bit more body to mids.

Jun 15, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #5,051 of 6,468
Finally, I also couldn't resist. Even with all 8€ coupons gone, less than 57€ for such features and the option to change sound profile with firmware was too much to pass. @eloelo, did you check battery drain in BHD Pro? Obviously, these promised 35 hours must be in low gain, 3.5 output. One thing they don't say explicity is if it has H/L gain. They should also have included the sound profiles by firmware in product description. These guys at Tempotec need some basic Mktg lessons, although it's obvious that with the discount they are selling like hot cakes.

Edit: reading again the description, could that "Sound quality 6 times better than mobile phone" be a bad translation?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #5,052 of 6,468
So finally after 5+ years of service, my LG v30+ gave up on me yesterday. After toying with an idea of getting an xperia (cos of 3.5mm headphone jack) and given it doesnt have same DAC/AMP capabilities, I swallowed the pill and got an S23.

May i seek advise - Is there any sub $100 (or around $50) adapters that can drive HD 6xx. I'd have preferred somewhat non bulky (unlike JCally AP10), but if they get the job done - think I'd take it.

Thanks in advance

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #5,053 of 6,468
So finally after 5+ years of service, my LG v30+ gave up on me yesterday. After toying with an idea of getting an xperia (cos of 3.5mm headphone jack) and given it doesnt have same DAC/AMP capabilities, I swallowed the pill and got an S23.

May i seek advise - Is there any sub $100 (or around $50) adapters that can drive HD 6xx. I'd have preferred somewhat non bulky (unlike JCally AP10), but if they get the job done - think I'd take it.

Thanks in advance

The Colorfly CDA M1 can drive the HD650/6XX adequately, but on high gain/4.4mm. It gets a bit hot doing so though.

Jun 16, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #5,055 of 6,468
Finally, I also couldn't resist. Even with all 8€ coupons gone, less than 57€ for such features and the option to change sound profile with firmware was too much to pass. @eloelo, did you check battery drain in BHD Pro? Obviously, these promised 35 hours must be in low gain, 3.5 output. One thing they don't say explicity is if it has H/L gain. They should also have included the sound profiles by firmware in product description. These guys at Tempotec need some basic Mktg lessons, although it's obvious that with the discount they are selling like hot cakes.

Edit: reading again the description, could that "Sound quality 6 times better than mobile phone" be a bad translation?
hmm ok I turned off android battery optimization for uapp, then left it playing out of 4.4mm at a slightly higher volume than I'm comfortable with (since I listen lower volume than most people) while leaving the screen black. In 90minutes, it used 7% of my Samsung A52 5G's battery (4,500 mAh) which is already more than 2 years old. So I would predict about 21-22 hours of playtime estimated for my phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back