USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jun 10, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #5,026 of 6,468
DC04pro cannot be configured if you do not use it with an Android phone, but even with the highest gain (high gain and turbo mode) it does not produce any hiss on my A12t, I found that the black background is the same as W1/W2. Other dongles that produce hiss on my sensitive IEMs are M15 and Xduoo Link2Bal.

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #5,027 of 6,468
I use my DC04Pro with my Andromedas and they perform great in terms of noise floor.
Basically the main reason why I bought them!

Only thing (on paper) that beats it in this respect is the L&P W4 and that’s just whatever the manufacturers are claiming on their spec sheets

Jun 10, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #5,028 of 6,468
DC04pro also defaults to highest gain, which theoretically has the most noise. Subjectively I find it to have more treble bite and less dynamics and fun than lowest gain. I usually stick to lowest gain and slow filter with the help of the app. I find I can push DC04 to higher volume than other dongles because the treble never becomes aggressive.

Perhaps consider other dongles where the setting can be changed on the dongle itself, like W2, but that will be expensive. I'm not too familiar with the other dongles that do the same.
Thanks. And with PC? Can I change the parameters on PC? thanks again in advance.

Jun 10, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #5,030 of 6,468
Thanks. And with PC? Can I change the parameters on PC? thanks again in advance.
Also because it's not needed, it already sets everything to the maximum commanded by the driver you installed.
Then: High Gain - Turbo Mode - ECO Off -
The only thing is that you can't change the filters... but it's not that you change much. :wink:

Jun 10, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #5,031 of 6,468
So, from what I understand, the limitations are not a real problem and the iBasso is perfectly usable on both iPhone and PC. If I feel like trying the filters, I have an old Motorola Android phone in a drawer that I can take out again to see what those filters do. Thanks everyone, I will buy the iBasso DC04 pro on Monday.

Jun 10, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #5,032 of 6,468
Here you can already get an idea of what you change with the filters...

Jun 12, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #5,034 of 6,468
I have recently received this dongle
https://penonaudio.com/penon-tail.html
as summer holidays are nearing and I was unable to find my beloved Shanling UA3.

Highly recommendable, no fuzz straightforwardly usable 43131 dongle with 3.5 and 4.4 output.

No app, but hardware buttons for volume, play/stop and skipping tracks (=double tap on play/stop button) plus a seperate two stage gain switch.

Good, neutral sound with many details, no hiss and enough power to drive all my IEM. Maybe not the best of all dongles that are available but at that price tag a no brainer imo...

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #5,035 of 6,468
Truthear Shio vs Tanchjim Space vs FiiO Q11. Any notable differences sound wise? Say, you wanna power a planar and get the widest, deepest soundstage, which one you'd pick?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #5,036 of 6,468
Just received my tempotec bhd pro. Heavier than it looks. Looks pretty with its matte finish and see-through to the chip inside. No firmware updates yet to introduce settings to change the sound, so this is stock, but thaankfully it remembers volume on board the dac (i'm looking at you Tanchjim Space). Starting with spotify on android, so far I really like the sound, non-offensive, pretty warm and laid back, warmer and tighter sounding than Sonata HD, W2, E44, Space and DC04pro for sure.... this might be the warmest CS43131 implementation I've heard, like oozy warmth. Reminds me of warm DAPs like Cayin N3pro. Stage is on the intimate side and it doesn't have much air.

Switching to UAPP bit perfect. Hardware volume cant be adjusted through UAPP. It retains its tight and warm characteristic. A surprise to me since I expected tempotec's stuff to be more neutral. It pops pretty loudly when you pull it out from your phone after playing some music, so ears beware.

edit: it doesnt sound as warm when connected to PC. It sounds better and clearer actually. I wonder if the sound varies from phone to phone.
20230614_215639.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #5,037 of 6,468
Just received my tempotec bhd pro. Heavier than it looks. Looks pretty with its matte finish and see-through to the chip inside. No firmware updates yet to introduce settings to change the sound, so this is stock, but thaankfully it remembers volume on board the dac (i'm looking at you Tanchjim Space). Starting with spotify on android, so far I really like the sound, non-offensive, pretty warm and laid back, warmer and tighter sounding than Sonata HD, W2, E44, Space and DC04pro for sure.... this might be the warmest CS43131 implementation I've heard, like oozy warmth. Reminds me of warm DAPs like Cayin N3pro. Stage is on the intimate side and it doesn't have much air.

Switching to UAPP bit perfect. Hardware volume cant be adjusted through UAPP. It retains its tight and warm characteristic. A surprise to me since I expected tempotec's stuff to be more neutral. It pops pretty loudly when you pull it out from your phone after playing some music, so ears beware.
20230614_215639.jpg
Thanks for the impressions. What do you mean by tighter sounding?

FWIW, the Space seems to remember the volume setting when I use it with my laptop, and it's done so intermittently with my phone. Not sure what's up with that.

Jun 14, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #5,038 of 6,468
Thanks for the impressions. What do you mean by tighter sounding?

FWIW, the Space seems to remember the volume setting when I use it with my laptop, and it's done so intermittently with my phone. Not sure what's up with that.
For me tighter sounding is usually a characteristic of warm sounding stuff. Like the singer's voice feels like it's being squeezed through and output in concentrated form from a smaller pipe/area as opposed to a leaner sound where the singer's voice feels dispersed/spread/sprayed over a larger area in the soundstage

Jun 14, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #5,039 of 6,468

20230614_215639.jpg
how warm it is?
how was it compared to the current darling DC04Pro?

Jun 14, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #5,040 of 6,468

Good to know about the sound signature. Very tempting buy at basement low price Tempotec store is selling these now at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back