USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Mar 16, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #4,547 of 6,527
Hi Andy do you happen to know what filter,gain level are used when connected too a IPhone and is Turbo mode on?

Thank you.
That is the reason, amongst another one, that I just sold the DC 03 Pro in the classifieds. No matter how good it can be, it is totally unacceptable for apple ecosystem users that you're stick with the default configuration they chose to send it with with no chances to change it. I hope that every new potential owner is aware of this because I just realized this after I was already a owner.

Mar 16, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #4,548 of 6,527
Mar 16, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #4,550 of 6,527
Blame Apple for not being audiophile friendly

If you care about sound, its better get a dedicated Android for that
Wait what? This is on Ibasso for only allowing the filter and gain to be changed via an app instead of through the dongle itself. Ibasso has simply not made an app for iOS.

In many ways Apple devices are more audiophile friendly in that you don’t have to use special apps to bypass system-wide SRC. Just plug in a dongle, the system recognizes it, and you’re good to go.

The only limitation Apple puts on dongles is in the power draw, which is not designed to frustrate audiophile so much as it is to stop people from plugging in devices that will drain their phone in 30 minutes. And you can’t necessarily say Android is entirely better in that regard because it varies from phone to phone whether they can support the full power draw of the more demanding dongles.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #4,551 of 6,527
Hi Andy do you happen to know what filter,gain level are used when connected too a IPhone and is Turbo mode on?

Thank you.
I believe when attached to an iPhone, DC04Pro will run the stock settings which is at Filter No.1 and Turbo mode always switched on. It is was defaulted at Turbo Mode unless you change it in iBasso UAC

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #4,553 of 6,527
Wait what? This is on Ibasso for only allowing the filter and gain to be changed via an app instead of through the dongle itself. Ibasso has simply not made an app for iOS.

In many ways Apple devices are more audiophile friendly in that you don’t have to use special apps to bypass system-wide SRC. Just plug in a dongle, the system recognizes it, and you’re good to go.

The only limitation Apple puts on dongles is in the power draw, which is not designed to frustrate audiophile so much as it is to stop people from plugging in devices that will drain their phone in 30 minutes. And you can’t necessarily say Android is entirely better in that regard because it varies from phone to phone whether they can support the full power draw of the more demanding dongles.
I think those features by hardware would increase the manufacturing cost and force the dongle price be less appealing.

About battery, if you get a dedicated Android for music you can let the dongle go brrr because its not your main device anyway and its fully software allowed to get all the juice from the hardware

Mar 16, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #4,554 of 6,527
Blame Apple for not being audiophile friendly

If you care about sound, its better get a dedicated Android for that
Sure mate, whatever...

Mar 16, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #4,555 of 6,527
I think those features by hardware would increase the manufacturing cost and force the dongle price be less appealing.

About battery, if you get a dedicated Android for music you can let the dongle go brrr because its not your main device anyway and its fully software allowed to get all the juice from the hardware
I do not disagree but at least offer a IOS software alternative. And at least advertise in BOLD that the software that will allow you to change important features regarding the dongle performance, simply does not exists for IOS users.

Regarding having an Android for audiophile matters, it doesn't make any sense to me. I don't want to take 2 phones with me, for that I could simply get a small DAP, and I have no issues with the iPhone limited power cap. Not even with my RU6 since I only have easy to drive cans and IEMs.

That is all. I would have looked elsewhere on the first place. That is why I will keep repeating it over and over again. To try and avoid that some users, like myself, buy it without knowing these nuances.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #4,556 of 6,527
I do not disagree but at least offer a IOS software alternative. And at least advertise in BOLD that the software that will allow you to change important features regarding the dongle performance, simply does not exists for IOS users.

Regarding having an Android for audiophile matters, it doesn't make any sense to me. I don't want to take 2 phones with me, for that I could simply get a small DAP, and I have no issues with the iPhone limited power cap. Not even with my RU6 since I only have easy to drive cans and IEMs.

That is all. I would have looked elsewhere on the first place. That is why I will keep repeating it over and over again. To try and avoid that some users, like myself, buy it without knowing these nuances.
Yeah. Those are valid points. I think Chinese manufacters facing iOS restrictions wont even try or cant even do a functional software for that system.

About carrying 2 devices, personally is okay for me. Crossbody bags are pretty common fashion nowadays. Can carry more than one IEM on the go too

Mar 16, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #4,557 of 6,527

Then you get into questions like when does it make sense to switch from a dongle to a DAP. I would rather have a dedicated DAP than a full second phone with a dongle attached to it.

Personally I think some people ask too much of dongles. They are the size of a pack of gum and people want desktop level performance out of them. Just run them with IEMs and efficient over ear headphones and the Apple power draw limitation won’t affect you at all. Anything beyond that, get a DAP or a battery powered DAC/amp.

Mar 16, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #4,558 of 6,527
As it is, I think it would be hard to say that Ibasso made DC04Pro's cost appealing - for example, Qudelix-5k which (according to people who own it) has a terrific sound quality on par with the best dongles and has tons of features beyond anything ibasso can dream of - all of which are implemented in hardware (not to mention being probably the best implementation of a BT dongle), costs only 110$, while DC04Pro now costs all of a 120$. It would have been appealing if the cost would have stayed what it was at the very beginning at around 80$. Right now I don't understand why choose DC04Pro instead of Qudelix-5K: even if the later is used only as a regular dongle, it is a much better choice.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #4,559 of 6,527
As it is, I think it would be hard to say that Ibasso made DC04Pro's cost appealing - for example, Qudelix-5k which (according to people who own it) has a terrific sound quality on par with the best dongles and has tons of features beyond anything ibasso can dream of - all of which are implemented in hardware (not to mention being probably the best implementation of a BT dongle), costs only 110$, while DC04Pro now costs all of a 120$. It would have been appealing if the cost would have stayed what it was at the very beginning at around 80$. Right now I don't understand why choose DC04Pro instead of Qudelix-5K: even if the later is used only as a regular dongle, it is a much better choice.
Its a Korean BT DAC focused on American market. Its not even listed on AE.

I dont know if it sounds better than DC04 Pro though. And also dont know how expensive is the internal circuitry. What we can tell is that DACs with pentaconn are charged more than 2.5mm

Mar 16, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #4,560 of 6,527
Then you get into questions like when does it make sense to switch from a dongle to a DAP. I would rather have a dedicated DAP than a full second phone with a dongle attached to it.

Personally I think some people ask too much of dongles. They are the size of a pack of gum and people want desktop level performance out of them. Just run them with IEMs and efficient over ear headphones and the Apple power draw limitation won’t affect you at all. Anything beyond that, get a DAP or a battery powered DAC/amp.
DAPs lack prolonged software support and if you face battery or hardware issues, its not easy to find or is inexistent a local repair service.

While phone + dongle you get the phone manufacturer benefits and, as dongle are way cheaper, variety of devices and tunings. If you are okay with the limitations of those small devices...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back