USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Dec 6, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #4,306 of 6,504
Hey everyone.

What's your general opinion about the HiBy FC4. There are not many reviews about it. If anyone has had the chance to use it:
-Does it gets too hot, or just barely warm?
-It can get too bright and metallic or has a good neutral sound, or a good warm sound?
-In general what can you say good and bad about it.

It's constantly on sale in AliE, and that's normally a bad sign.

Thanks!

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #4,307 of 6,504
New Astell & Kern dongle, the AK HC3

I have to wonder if the people that design these things actually use them. Not just the A&K mentioned here, but in general.

A non-removable cable on a dongle DAC/amp is just asking for trouble; every dongle-failure I've had has been down to the cable. To the point where "captive cable" means "hard pass, regardless of how good it might be".

And then to use it with Lightning devices, you have another inch or so, beyond the tethered connector, of hard adapter sticking out of your phone/tablet, which is never going to be good for the connection the device. There's no way I'd even try using a setup like this that was going to result in a couple of inches of hard "lever" sticking out of my device ... and not expect it to get snapped or damage the device (as below, per A&K's own site ...):

Silly.png

It's surely not that much to ask ...

Replaceable cable. Either USB-C or Lightning (don't mind buying the specific cable I want). Hardware-volume. And in a perfect world, an (optional) mode that doesn't draw more power than an iPhone can supply.

Hopefully the whole situation will get better when Apple adopt USB-C on the iPhone.

Dec 7, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #4,308 of 6,504
Hmm, hidizs s9 pro doesn't support microphone of gaming headsets (tried philips x2hr with 4 pole cable with mic, tried akg ag1x, and not even steelseries nova pro with 5 pole cable worked). But i love this dongle already, drives any headphone i have from 12ohm to 120ohm and gets recognised by UAPP app on android 12 phone immediately without interuptions, love it

Dec 8, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #4,309 of 6,504
Soo the lotoopaws2 is going back... I do however agree with Andy's assessment though of it sounding smooth but for my tastes it is too smooth lacking that precise expressions I look for in vocals. Also if I have to be honest with myself I would say that the only usb dac out of many I have tried that actually sounded worth it to me was the dacport with its unique realism and liveliness. Cayin is ok aswell with more noteweight but just sounds a bit dull for my tastes. Honestly my my new Rog phone 6's port sounded better to me compared to everything I've tried here aside from the dacport. I would definitely put my phone's capabilities at the same level as cayins for sure and now it is an end of a chapter for me in terms of usb dacs, just need to find a way to rejuvenate my dacport and give it a solid repair.

Dec 8, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #4,310 of 6,504
I dont find much about both. Good pricing though, Im pretty curious
i got it on Amazon when it was on sale for $60, great price for what it provides.
it's dead silent connected to MBAir(M1), good power, can drive HD650, but needs to be at MAX volume from MBAir with SE cable, i don't have 4.4 cable for HD650
I've tried both 3.5 and 4.4 with Hisenior T2, very good sound, i can't tell much difference between this DS1 and my mini Schiit stack of Modi3/Heresy
Fosi DS1 at 4.4 -> T2 is stupid loud from my phone, i can only use 10~15% volume, anything higher it hurts my ears

I had the xynos X1 before this, Fosi DS1 is so much clearer and better sound stage, and better, cleaner bass. i cannot tell if it's "colored" or not.
very obscure brand, i only chose this because to me, it cost less "to me" than other well recommended dongle.

20221115_112401.jpg
20221117_213204.jpg

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #4,311 of 6,504
i got it on Amazon when it was on sale for $60, great price for what it provides.
it's dead silent connected to MBAir(M1), good power, can drive HD650, but needs to be at MAX volume from MBAir with SE cable, i don't have 4.4 cable for HD650
I've tried both 3.5 and 4.4 with Hisenior T2, very good sound, i can't tell much difference between this DS1 and my mini Schiit stack of Modi3/Heresy
Fosi DS1 at 4.4 -> T2 is stupid loud from my phone, i can only use 10~15% volume, anything higher it hurts my ears

I had the xynos X1 before this, Fosi DS1 is so much clearer and better sound stage, and better, cleaner bass. i cannot tell if it's "colored" or not.
very obscure brand, i only chose this because to me, it cost less "to me" than other well recommended dongle.

Yeah, I think its the typical ESS, very clean. Its a flagship chip, I guess. Im thinking about it and AP10 as warmer, complementary source. That "combo" costing me less than a $100 on current Ali sales

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #4,312 of 6,504
What is a more warm analog sounding dongle these days. I use the UA3 which is great.

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #4,313 of 6,504
What is a more warm analog sounding dongle these days. I use the UA3 which is great.
Not necessarily on the account of being warm (because being bright usually mean less organic), these dongles tops my list for their great analogue/organic/realistic timbre = CEntrance DACport HD, Cayin RU6, Lotoo PAW S2, Ovidius B1, iFi Go Bar, Questyle M12, Hidizs S9, Avani and of course Apogee Groove

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #4,314 of 6,504
Not necessarily on the account of being warm (because being bright usually mean less organic), these dongles tops my list for their great analogue/organic/realistic timbre = CEntrance DACport HD, Cayin RU6, Lotoo PAW S2, Ovidius B1, iFi Go Bar, Questyle M12, Hidizs S9, Avani and of course Apogee Groove
Thank you very much for that.

Dec 9, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #4,315 of 6,504
Thank you very much for that.

In my opinion you could add xDuoo Link2 BAL to that list. @OspreyAndy might disagree? He has more experience than I, but that was my impression of it. I found it to be too smooth (warm?) for my taste. For example my fav is Questyle M15 which is very detailed, neutral and dynamic. And it just flows effortlessly.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #4,316 of 6,504
In my opinion you could add xDuoo Link2 BAL to that list. @OspreyAndy might disagree? He has more experience than I, but that was my impression of it. I found it to be too smooth (warm?) for my taste. For example my fav is Questyle M15 which is very detailed, neutral and dynamic. And it just flows effortlessly.
The price is so bad now lol. So many same specs and better priced dongles came after. And on this same thread, there are people complaining xDuoo subdued the treble too much.

I'm waiting @OspreyAndy Tanchjim Space veredict. CS43131 can even gets an exclusive thread lol. Too many options

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #4,319 of 6,504
Great review, thanks! I was so sure about AP10, now I dont know anymore. It would be perfect if Ovidius could do a BAL B1
Thanks. B1 already runs perfect with 3.5mm SE and still is the among the top 3 with raw power at over 400mW, which proves proper implementation matters more. My only wish for B1, 1. Better floor noise control for sensitive IEMs, 2. Independent volume adjustment and 3. Better compatibility = of which all three existed already with CEntrance DACport HD

Dec 9, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #4,320 of 6,504
Thanks. B1 already runs perfect with 3.5mm SE and still is the among the top 3 with raw power at over 400mW, which proves proper implementation matters more. My only wish for B1, 1. Better floor noise control for sensitive IEMs, 2. Independent volume adjustment and 3. Better compatibility = of which all three existed already with CEntrance DACport HD
Is Ovidius okay with adapters? 4.4 to 3.5 especifically. My best cables arent SE 😭

Users who are viewing this thread

Back