USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
May 25, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #3,902 of 6,499
But it’ll have the full power right? Not halved like on the Apple Dongle or apparently others.

There is a low gain and a high gain switch on the M15. Plus it has 4.4 mm balanced and a 3.5 mm single ended output, the 4.4 mm gives more power.

The M15 gives standard putput based on:
3.5mm: RL = 300Ω, Po =1 1.97mW, Vout(Max) = 1.895Vrms
4.4mm: RL = 300Ω, Po = 22.60mW, Vout(Max) = 2.624Vrms

It is not like the M12 or say Tempotec Sonata HD Pro where the dongle adjusts the power based on the impedance of the connected transducer. BTW your first post about 2V output is on the 4.4 mm balanced output.

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #3,904 of 6,499
Are USB dongles safe to be connected 24/7 to always on PC? does it reduce their lifespan or any other problems?
I have a plan to connect Fiio KA3 to my "always on PC" then go to soundbar. If my soundbar only turned ON when I need it, does the dongle will heated up on "standby" mode?
Anyone have similar experience here? Thanks in advance

May 25, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #3,905 of 6,499
Are USB dongles safe to be connected 24/7 to always on PC? does it reduce their lifespan or any other problems?
I have a plan to connect Fiio KA3 to my "always on PC" then go to soundbar. If my soundbar only turned ON when I need it, does the dongle will heated up on "standby" mode?

I think it depends on the dongle.

Some of my dongles seem to still draw power when connected to the USB (no IEM attached), they still get hot and my USB port is lit up, which suggests power is still being used.

Other dongles eg Tempotec Sonata HD Pro seem to turn off once the IEM is removed (but USB still connected).

Haven't used the KA3, so can't comment, but I hope others can help.

May 25, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #3,906 of 6,499

Some of my dongles seem to still draw power when connected to the USB (no IEM attached), they still get hot and my USB port is lit up, which suggests power is still being used.

Other dongles eg Tempotec Sonata HD Pro seem to turn off once the IEM is removed (but USB still connected).

Just tried to connect it, it got slightly warm with the blue lights on continuously. I guess its a bad idea then?

May 25, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #3,907 of 6,499
I have used the iBasso DC01 in the exact same way as you mention with the exception of turning off the PC for about 4-5 hours each day. Additionally the iems are always connected to the dongle, the dongle is on. However when the sound is not routing through the dongle even with iems connected it doesnt become warm. It's always connected but not always playing

May 25, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #3,908 of 6,499

I have used the iBasso DC01 in the exact same way as you mention with the exception of turning off the PC for about 4-5 hours each day. Additionally the iems are always connected to the dongle, the dongle is on. However when the sound is not routing through the dongle even with iems connected it doesnt become warm. It's always connected but not always playing
As others have said it depends on dongle, some naturally runs warm. Some stay cool to touch when connected all day.

For the longest time I use dongle as desktop unit, the one I used the most is Dragonfly Red. I would leave it plugged in to PC all day, and only turn off PC at night when I sleep but otherwise it's on all day. Dragonfly Red naturally runs cool even when plugged in all day.

Other dongles I tried are W2, W2-131 both runs cool, RU6 I didn't notice too much? Maybe tiny bit warm? Helm Bolt and Zorloo Ztella both gets pretty warm.

KA3 is known to run warm/hot from every review I read.

I think it should be fine, but if you're concerned then can probably read into dongles that runs cool even after running all day.

Also some dongle draw more power than other dongles. Again I only mostly have experience with Dragonfly Red but it has very low power draw due to the Gordan Rankin chip. But I don't recommend using Dragonfly Red as dac since at 100% volume it has distortion.

Do you think you can buy a USB powered desktop dac possibly? Something like iFi Zen Air Dac? Or even FiiO K3 the dac/amp combo? (it has dedicated line out)

OH I almost forgot I also use a FiiO D3 connect to my Chromcast through a HDMI splitter (so it splits audio signal) then runs through optical cable to feed the D3 then into my powered speakers (Edifier S1000DB). It's been on for at least 5 years continuously so far and still seems to work. Though D3 is probably not as "high res" as the newer dongles. So in your case maybe K3 still a better idea? Something to think about lol.

May 25, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #3,909 of 6,499
As others have said it depends on dongle, some naturally runs warm. Some stay cool to touch when connected all day.

For the longest time I use dongle as desktop unit, the one I used the most is Dragonfly Red. I would leave it plugged in to PC all day, and only turn off PC at night when I sleep but otherwise it's on all day. Dragonfly Red naturally runs cool even when plugged in all day.

Other dongles I tried are W2, W2-131 both runs cool, RU6 I didn't notice too much? Maybe tiny bit warm? Helm Bolt and Zorloo Ztella both gets pretty warm.

KA3 is known to run warm/hot from every review I read.

I think it should be fine, but if you're concerned then can probably read into dongles that runs cool even after running all day.

Also some dongle draw more power than other dongles. Again I only mostly have experience with Dragonfly Red but it has very low power draw due to the Gordan Rankin chip. But I don't recommend using Dragonfly Red as dac since at 100% volume it has distortion.

Do you think you can buy a USB powered desktop dac possibly? Something like iFi Zen Air Dac? Or even FiiO K3 the dac/amp combo? (it has dedicated line out)

OH I almost forgot I also use a FiiO D3 connect to my Chromcast through a HDMI splitter (so it splits audio signal) then runs through optical cable to feed the D3 then into my powered speakers (Edifier S1000DB). It's been on for at least 5 years continuously so far and still seems to work. Though D3 is probably not as "high res" as the newer dongles. So in your case maybe K3 still a better idea? Something to think about lol.

Thanks for sharing info and ideas but i just want to use my current dongle to somewhat improve sound quality of my soundbar + woofer on my PC. It won't be for daily use, but plug in before using soundbar (and have to be on the back of my pc case because i dont like cables crossing around in front of pc) going to be hassle for me.
So yeah, it's not worth to spend more money for casual use of my soundbar. Thanks for your inputs anyway, appreciate it.

May 25, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #3,910 of 6,499
New Hiby dongle, the HiBy FC4

283148663_2439846829490858_6795418049335360739_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom/posts/2439846849490856

May 25, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #3,911 of 6,499
Thanks for sharing info and ideas but i just want to use my current dongle to somewhat improve sound quality of my soundbar + woofer on my PC. It won't be for daily use, but plug in before using soundbar (and have to be on the back of my pc case because i dont like cables crossing around in front of pc) going to be hassle for me.
So yeah, it's not worth to spend more money for casual use of my soundbar. Thanks for your inputs anyway, appreciate it.
lol gotcha, yeah in that case I think you should be ok.

Cheers! :)

May 25, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #3,912 of 6,499
You can run 1,000Vrms on apple dongle

UAPP is required

Connect the dongle, open UAPP, turn up the volume, close uapp, open your favorite music program and enjoy

A little trouble but you'll be able to use a magnificent dongle for $8.00
Wow.. I didn't know such thing existed. Well, how long does it last though until phone reboot?

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #3,914 of 6,499
You can run 1,000Vrms on apple dongle

UAPP is required

Connect the dongle, open UAPP, turn up the volume, close uapp, open your favorite music program and enjoy

A little trouble but you'll be able to use a magnificent dongle for $8.00
I must admit I don't quite understand this post. UAPP is an android app. ;The apple dongle is lightning. and apple specific. You seem to be bridging these worlds. Perhaps you can take us through this ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back