USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Mar 20, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #3,722 of 6,468
So 2 chips and balanced and more power?

Mar 20, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #3,724 of 6,468
Yes it should be but they don't specify if they are using two chips.
Strange, maybe someone else can enlighten us.
There's two option
Dual ES9281PRO ( integrated AMP each ) or Single ES9281PRO with dedicated Dual AMP to achieve balanced amplification.

Based on spec Sparrow most likely using Single DAC and Dedicated dual AMP Similar amplification topology like Shanling UA2 and FiiO KA3

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #3,725 of 6,468
ya $$ no thanks
Just remember the price is justified: R2R dacs are more expensive based on the number of proprietary components (especially to build a decent dac using the R2R typology) versus delta sigma dac chip dacs. So don't just look at price point from a macro viewpoint. The truth is the RU6 is truly analogue sounding versus the other ESS and Cirrus Logic dongle dacs that I possess. Thus, one could argue the price point is definitely worth it.
I think R2R dac in general is more expensive to build than Delta Sigma dac. I think RU6 has something like 96 resistors? So it's a lot of components to built in, and the volume control is resistor array too. In general just more parts and labour.

Though to be honest it's still cheaper than other dongle dacs such as W2 and W2-131. And possibly inline with S2 price (I haven't check price yet).

xDuoo Link2 Bal just happens to be way cheaper than the other 3 by skipping screen / extra features / filters / functions....etc.

Mar 20, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #3,727 of 6,468
https://andyaudiovault.com/donglemadness/

xDuoo Link2 Bal is ranked pretty high
Oh yeah what I meant is that it skips all the bells and whistles and go straight to just good sound quality.

But keep on mind he said this ranking is based on HIS preference. His preference is neutral and analogue timbre. So if your preference match his preference then this list will be great for you.

My preference is boosted treble/bass/forward vocal. :p

Mar 20, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #3,728 of 6,468
Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #3,730 of 6,468
Oh yeah what I meant is that it skips all the bells and whistles and go straight to just good sound quality.

But keep on mind he said this ranking is based on HIS preference. His preference is neutral and analogue timbre. So if your preference match his preference then this list will be great for you.

My preference is boosted treble/bass/forward vocal. :p
For the most part, Xduoo focus is clear Neutral.
If you want warm-ish smooth sound with bass boost option, go to IFI Zen.

Some might want "neutral sound" due to all the reviewer suggestion.
But after buying it, they got dissapointed from either too "flat", not enough bass, not enough treble.
Its important to know your own preference.
Chi-fi budget section is great way to try out many different sound without breaking your wallet.

That being said, ages ago i've tried Xduoo XD-05. It is awesome.
Its been really awhile since i tried it, but I don't think my BTR5 actually can compare to that grand clear sound of XD05.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #3,731 of 6,468
Double post

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #3,732 of 6,468
Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #3,733 of 6,468
The S9 PRO sounded great to me, but for the same price i could get something more powerfull and with a 4.4mm jack, plus amazon takes back there stuff. So why not.

Mar 21, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #3,734 of 6,468
For the most part, Xduoo focus is clear Neutral.
If you want warm-ish smooth sound with bass boost option, go to IFI Zen.

Some might want "neutral sound" due to all the reviewer suggestion.
But after buying it, they got dissapointed from either too "flat", not enough bass, not enough treble.
Its important to know your own preference.
Chi-fi budget section is great way to try out many different sound without breaking your wallet.

That being said, ages ago i've tried Xduoo XD-05. It is awesome.
Its been really awhile since i tried it, but I don't think my BTR5 actually can compare to that grand clear sound of XD05.
lol I've been recommended quite a few times recently to be honest. Maybe I really should give them a try. Since my use case is on my desktop PC so I really don't "need" dongle dac, I just like the convenience of control volume from keyboard.

In this case I could give either Zen Dac V2 or Zen Air Dac a try. The main difference is balanced vs no balanced output. I've been debating if I really NEED balanced, though it does make it sound nicer and I have the cable for 4.4 mm already. It's just the price difference between Zen Dac V2 and Zen Air Dac is somewhat high relative to the unit cost (almost double?).

Hmmmmm something to think about, otherwise in the mean time I think W2 and W2-131 is slowly growing on me lol.

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #3,735 of 6,468
The difference apparently, from Ifi site.

1647875714651.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back