USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Feb 2, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #3,527 of 6,508
I know I'm going to sound stupid by saying I like treble vocal and bass, which doesn't make sense because it just mean boosted treble mid bass so it's just simply louder LOL.
Why ibasso?
I think ka3 is what you need if it's in your budget. Otherwise I'd take Jm10. I won't say the last one outstanding in highs, they are just fine, but it's bassiest from all three dacs at least lol Dc05 has the lowest soundstage between theese.
Imo.

Feb 2, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #3,528 of 6,508
If you want aggressive highs, try out a Sharkoon Gaming DAC Pro S. Enormously powerful DAC+Amp combo. Incredible deep bass and strong treble. You have to keep in mind it's USB-A only. I used it with an adapter on my Android phone, it worked flawlessly with UAPP.

Feb 2, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #3,529 of 6,508
Feb 2, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #3,530 of 6,508
Why ibasso?
I think ka3 is what you need if it's in your budget. Otherwise I'd take Jm10. I won't say the last one outstanding in highs, they are just fine, but it's bassiest from all three dacs at least lol Dc05 has the lowest soundstage between theese.
Imo.
If you don't mind the somewhat bulkier body and the slightly increased power consumption then the KA3 is one of the best available, especially from the balanced output.

It is my new reference DAC/amp dongle.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-jade-audio-ka3-dac-amp.25575/review/27748/
lol I don't know someone suggested ibasso might be more "colored" sound since it's my preference.

I'll be honest I know nothing about iBasso until recently LOL.

But that's interesting about KA3, I think when it first launched the first few reviews seemed kind of meh and people were still preferred the W2/S2/RU6 better. So I kind of didn't pay attention to it, but it seems to be having a second wind now it's been recommended a few times.

I'll be honest, I'm waiting for RU6 to come in this week. But I'm always interested in trying new dongles, so I'm definitely interested to try KA3 too. Now I'm just not sure about M12 vs KA3, though based from my tonal preference maybe KA3 sounds more like my thing.

Will look more into it again, thanks!
If you want aggressive highs, try out a Sharkoon Gaming DAC Pro S. Enormously powerful DAC+Amp combo. Incredible deep bass and strong treble. You have to keep in mind it's USB-A only. I used it with an adapter on my Android phone, it worked flawlessly with UAPP.
Interesting, I'd never thought I'd see Sharkoon in an audiophile forum. I took a quick look the specs seems decent. Though they didn't disclosed the DAC chip used. I'll read up more about it.

Otherwise I'll be using it with PC so USB A is actually perfect (using Dragonfly Red now anyway). Thanks for suggestion!

Feb 2, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #3,532 of 6,508
The Sharkoon DAC uses a BES DAC. A rather unknown company from Hongkong. The DAC is rather mediocre and can't hold up to ESS DACs but the amplification is really strong and absolutely drives my cans to full potential. However don't use it with IEMs, it even hisses at 10% volume.

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #3,533 of 6,508
But that's interesting about KA3, I think when it first launched the first few reviews seemed kind of meh and people were still preferred the W2/S2/RU6 better. So I kind of didn't pay attention to it, but it seems to be having a second wind now it's been recommended a few times.
Imo ka3 is fine for 63$ when it's first launched and a few weeks ago. 80-90$ is overpriced in my opinion. Jm10 for it's 30$ is uber.
Hiby fd3 is very-very good for 95$ selling aliexpress right now. But it's not portable. The best quality overall though.
Interested in acmee magicsound for now, they dropped the price to 70-75$ from 110$. There is no ak4493 anymore though, it seems sabre for 75$.

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #3,534 of 6,508
Imo ka3 is fine for 63$ when it's first launched and a few weeks ago. 80-90$ is overpriced in my opinion. Jm10 for it's 30$ is uber.
Hiby fd3 is very-very good for 95$ selling aliexpress right now. But it's not portable. The best quality overall though.
Interested in acmee magicsound for now, they dropped the price to 70-75$ from 110$. There is no ak4493 anymore though, it seems sabre for 75$.
Is e44 still a recommend at $60 or is fd3 well worth the extra at $95? I'm planning to use these with HD 560s and then connect them to a desktop amp if I ever upgrade headphones.

Feb 2, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #3,536 of 6,508
FiiO KA3 is $90
Cayin RU6 is $250
M12 is $140
Ah yes I remember now, I think that might be why I didn't think much about it when I first read into it.

I guess at the time I was looking at S2/W2/RU6.....etc.

At the time the thought process was that if I'm gonna buy one, might as well get the best one.

But yes I understand the term "best" is a rather complicated subject matter LOL.
The Sharkoon DAC uses a BES DAC. A rather unknown company from Hongkong. The DAC is rather mediocre and can't hold up to ESS DACs but the amplification is really strong and absolutely drives my cans to full potential. However don't use it with IEMs, it even hisses at 10% volume.
I'm having a hard time finding anyone that sells it in Canada, might have to revisit this at a later time.

Like I can't even find out how much this costs LOL.

Feb 2, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #3,537 of 6,508
I'm having a hard time finding anyone that sells it in Canada, might have to revisit this at a later time.

Like I can't even find out how much this costs LOL.
Here in Germany it is freely available on Amazon for 29,99€. It seems to be popular with 1261 reviews. I put mine into the next drawer as I am planning to use it as DAC and pre-gain for my MT-602 hybrid amp in the future. Already compared it to Sonata HD 2 DAC and CX31993 DACs. It sounds detailed but has much more power and drive. Like an amp that gives you very slight V-shape and is powerful enough to drive AKG K702 at 60% volume. Really fascinating.

Feb 3, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #3,539 of 6,508
The DC05 has arrived. The sound is really smooth and high quality with lots of detail. Vocals are surprisingly not forward. Works with IEMs and full sized cans. The sound is rather linear, no loud treble or strong bass.
Lol thank you for the impression, now this sounds like its everything opposite of what I want LOL. I guess I'll skip forward to the next candidate.

Feb 3, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #3,540 of 6,508
The DC05 has arrived. The sound is really smooth and high quality with lots of detail. Vocals are surprisingly not forward. Works with IEMs and full sized cans. The sound is rather linear, no loud treble or strong bass.
Ha, told you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back