USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jan 14, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #3,361 of 6,502
I've seen testing down for both dongles that confirms the measures to be just about about perfect,, being no different to much more expensive dacs except the lack power to drive high impendence headphones .
So is there an alternative that measures equally well but is better built and just as slim but delivers more power without breaking the bank?

E1DA 9038D.

They can really power high demanding gear, but also pair well with high sensitivity/low impedance gear without any hiss. Dead neutral too.

Jan 14, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #3,362 of 6,502
Is there any sound difference between the apple usb c and the lightning dongle?
If not, will using the usb c work with any android phone work without an app?
I've seen testing down for both dongles that confirms the measures to be just about about perfect,, being no different to much more expensive dacs except the lack power to drive high impendence headphones .
So is there an alternative that measures equally well but is better built and just as slim but delivers more power without breaking the bank?

If you need the most power from a dongle, TempoTec Sonata E44 offers desktop Amp level of loudness at 4 Vrms for under $90. It is loud as it is stable at high loudness, with great current delivery. You can also check REIYIN DA-Plus which is also 4 Vrms and under $90. However both unleashes the max power via Balanced configuration of which you either need 4.4mm or 2.5mm jacks

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #3,364 of 6,502
E1DA 9038D.

They can really power high demanding gear, but also pair well with high sensitivity/low impedance gear without any hiss. Dead neutral too.
Apparently it has a desktop amp. The only issue is it small and light enough to leave it dangling like it would a inbuild volume control unit? Does it also work at and iPhone natively?

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #3,365 of 6,502
If you need the most power from a dongle, TempoTec Sonata E44 offers desktop Amp level of loudness at 4 Vrms for under $90. It is loud as it is stable at high loudness, with great current delivery. You can also check REIYIN DA-Plus which is also 4 Vrms and under $90. However both unleashes the max power via Balanced configuration of which you either need 4.4mm or 2.5mm jacks
I thought you needed two input jacks to get balanced config hence why i never go with it beause all my headphones are singled ended 3.5mm

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #3,366 of 6,502
I thought you needed two input jacks to get balanced config hence why i never go with it beause all my headphones are singled ended 3.5mm
For the last 3 years the Pentaconn 4.4mm and 2.5mm BAL has been gaining traction as the jacks has four poles, one each for L,R,R-, L-. But if you prefer SE then check out Questyle M12, among one of the very best SE dongle released recently. For myself my own personal favorites CEntrance DACport HD and Ovidius B1 are pure SE

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #3,367 of 6,502
Get the E1DA 90386 gen 3 it’s usb c and it is fantastic
Frank
t
For the last 3 years the Pentaconn 4.4mm and 2.5mm BAL has been gaining traction as the jacks has four poles, one each for L,R,R-, L-. But if you prefer SE then check out Questyle M12, among one of the very best SE dongle released recently. For myself my own personal favorites CEntrance DACport HD and Ovidius B1 are pure SE
I'm confused? Are you saying with this new 4 pole technology a single 2.5m or 4.4mm input jack can be ready with balanced ready setup so any single ended 3.5m terminated headphone jack can be plugged in to achieve balanced sound?

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #3,368 of 6,502
t

I'm confused? Are you saying with this new 4 pole technology a single 2.5m or 4.4mm input jack can be ready with balanced ready setup so any single ended 3.5m terminated headphone jack can be plugged in to achieve balanced sound?
It means the Amp or DAC has balanced circuit be it pseudo split ground or discrete dual mono that are projected via 2.5mm or 4.4mm BAL. This is a very common thing now as almost 60% of new DAC/Amps released recently has them. No you cannot use an SE jack of your headphones or earphones and expect it to plug in into those BAL ports. You need proper cable with BAL termination to use them. Yes there are adapters for this but it is only applicable for 3.5mm to 4.4mm that utilize 5th pole of common ground (not recommended)

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #3,369 of 6,502
It means the Amp or DAC has balanced circuit be it pseudo split ground or discrete dual mono that are projected via 2.5mm or 4.4mm BAL. This is a very common thing now as almost 60% of new DAC/Amps released recently has them. No you cannot use an SE jack of your headphones or earphones and expect it to plug in into those BAL ports. You need proper cable with BAL termination to use them. Yes there are adapters for this but it is only applicable for 3.5mm to 4.4mm that utilize 5th pole of common ground (not recommended)
oh okay then I won't benefit at all with the balanced feature since I can't justify buying a new balanced cable. Do any of the recommend dacs double as a dedicated line out? I bought a portable stepdance years ago back and would like me use if it but not at the expense of double amping.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #3,370 of 6,502
oh okay then I won't benefit at all with the balanced feature since I can't justify buying a new balanced cable. Do any of the recommend dacs double as a dedicated line out? I bought a portable stepdance years ago back and would like me use if it but not at the expense of double amping.
I bought a 4.4 mm balanced cable for 15 usd along with the E44 and I am glad I bought this combo, works very well.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32918220523.html

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #3,371 of 6,502
Is there any sound difference between the apple usb c and the lightning dongle?
If not, will using the usb c work with any android phone work without an app?
As far as I know, the Apple USB C and Lightning dongle should sound identical I think.

That being said, the USB C dongle on Android phone will have power limitation, I'm not 100% sure but I think Apple implemented this thing where on Android phone it can only use 60% max power. On the PC is perfectly fine however. So on Android it will never reach loud enough but on the PC can get scary loud. On Apple product such as iPad or Macbook it's also perfectly fine too. I think it's Apple's way of saying piss off Android users.

Measurement aside, I still think other dongles sound better (to my ear). Like for example I prefer Dragonfly Red over it.

But which dongle sounds the "best" is a complicated question LOL.

All I'm going to say is that measurement isn't everything, at least to my ears there is still a difference. But I might have broken ears so one day I should hire a professional trained engineer to listen to music for me and tell me how enjoyable it is LOL /sarcasm. :beyersmile:

LOL all I'm saying is what sounds the best to you will sound the best to you, and unfortunately some trial and error might be needed. :p

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #3,372 of 6,502
As far as I know, the Apple USB C and Lightning dongle should sound identical I think.

Measurement aside, I still think other dongles sound better (to my ear). Like for example I prefer Dragonfly Red over it.

But which dongle sounds the "best" is a complicated question LOL.
Of course, the Apple dongle doesn't sound as good as budget ChiFi ones. When did the Apple version come out? Years ago... Apple hasn't updated it. :*(

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #3,375 of 6,502
Of course, the Apple dongle doesn't sound as good as budget ChiFi ones. When did the Apple version come out? Years ago... Apple hasn't updated it. :*(
Not necessarily. Dacs have been perfected years ago and tests has shown all dacs sound same as after the $100 mark. The improvements you hear is going to be the amp. The apple dongle came out with the iPhone 7 which isn’t all that long ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back