USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Aug 10, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #2,836 of 6,458
Let's find the best.
Certainly most dongles are sufficient for most undemanding loudspeakers. But when we're talking about the 'best', we are really discerning. Any noise, any low power output, obvious audible issues and you're out. If we're restricting to just Windows 10 usage, I vote for Apple USB-C and TempoTec's Sonata HD Pro. They're far from perfect but they're also far better than than the rest of the crowd. They won't become obsolete. At least within my 10 dongles I would only use Apple USB-C (for its mic) and both of the Sonata HD Pros, with the rest for portable use without a Windows 10 PC.

Aug 10, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #2,837 of 6,458
Let's find the best.
Certainly most dongles are sufficient for most undemanding loudspeakers. But when we're talking about the 'best', we are really discerning. Any noise, any low power output, obvious audible issues and you're out. If we're restricting to just Windows 10 usage, I vote for Apple USB-C and TempoTec's Sonata HD Pro. They're far from perfect but they're also far better than than the rest of the crowd. They won't become obsolete. At least within my 10 dongles I would only use Apple USB-C (for its mic) and both of the Sonata HD Pros, with the rest for portable use without a Windows 10 PC.

The Sonata HD Pro can be tricked to go to max 2V output with a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter (it otherwise reads the impedance of the connected IEM and auto adjusts the output). But some of us went to flash a BHD firmware on the Sonata HD Pro (do at own risk) and this unlocks the volume to approximately double!

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #2,838 of 6,458
Let's find the best.

Shame the Apple USB-C dongle has limitations with Android.

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #2,839 of 6,458
Aug 10, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #2,840 of 6,458
Please try Neutron Music Player. There's 5 days evaluation full app... and please share your opinion.
If it is real.... at least I would have other person that could confirm that I don't just imagine the improvement. :smile:

My point is if I use external DAC I have to get the performance improvement vs the built-in one on the SoC...
I don't refer to the ESS DAC on my LG V20, which is out of norm, but the SoC on the qualcomm snapdragon.

The other reason I'm interested with USB DAC is because my LGV20 have been 4 years old and start to behave. I don't know for how long it could still alive.
If it just die, I want to have the replacement. LG has been out of phone business and I prefer to change to other brand once the time come.
I tried Neutron player in the past, it started playing all by itself, which is extremely annoying. I did like all of the options. But because of the self start I uninstalled it.
Now I am using UAPP, which I like very much.

Aug 10, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #2,841 of 6,458
I tried Neutron player in the past, it started playing all by itself, which is extremely annoying. I did like all of the options. But because of the self start I uninstalled it.
Now I am using UAPP, which I like very much.
Is UAPP sound similar with Neutron?
Unfortunately there's no evaluation version of UAPP

Aug 10, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #2,842 of 6,458
Yep I have my eyes on that one too. Solid package it seems. September hopefully
Andy

I’m seriously considering buying the Hiby FD3. I know you would have to hear it to have an actual opinion, but if you had to guess from the specs and experience with Hiby or the FC3, do you think you would like it?

Aug 10, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #2,843 of 6,458
Andy

I’m seriously considering buying the Hiby FD3. I know you would have to hear it to have an actual opinion, but if you had to guess from the specs and experience with Hiby or the FC3, do you think you would like it?
Purely on guesswork, HiBy tuning signature tend to be crisp, clean and sparkly bright, especially if ESS chip are being utilized. But I could be completely wrong as ES9038Q2M can be expertly tuned to be organic and warm as well, like what Shanling and Hidizs did, super smooth. That is why now I try not to speculate unless I hear them personally

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #2,844 of 6,458
Hi! This might have been discussed and compared before but, anyone here tried and compared between the Hidiz S9 PRO and the Shanling UA2? I'm currently deciding which both of these should I get. The price isn't that far off as well with just the Hidiz S9 PRO being about 25USD more expensive than the UA2. Will only use it on my M1 Macbook and Android phone. My Fiio FD5 can connect to balanced and I only use IEMs, so I'm good there. Thanks!

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #2,846 of 6,458
It is to long ago. It was on another phone (using the 3.5mm output of the phone) and I am using a dongle now.
I will install it again to see if its behaviour is improved.
Bahavior wise, Neutron have a flow that different with most of Apps. For example, hitting android '<' (back) button instantly close the app. Quite annoying actually 😅

Aug 11, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #2,850 of 6,458
UAPP does it perfectly. But only when streaming. Tidal itself is experimenting with direct DAC access too. Not sure of the success and only with MQA dacs, I think.
It seems Hiby is also fully capable of Tidal playback. Dunno about Tidal without streaming tho.

Neutron I don't know either. But it has crap UI.

These are the only apps that properly take advantage of dongle DACs for Android AFAICT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back