IMG_20210515_105949_110.jpg

Just arrived 💝
1 dd_hifi TC44B
2 hibymusic FC3
3 hilidac Beam 2
4 e1DA 9038D
5 shanlingaudio UA2

May 15, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #2,396 of 6,526
Yo, addressing the previous discussion on possible damage to the usb-c female port. I've got a theory, can you all weigh in?

I'm thinking that most of the damage comes from the slack of the headphone wire bouncing around and yanking the usb-c male plug around the usb-c female port causing it to loosen out the plug's friction fit with the port.

Additionally, I have a few ideas on how to reduce it; (other than @brazy001 's idea of completely anchoring it on the back, which I think is great but does make the phone a bit thicker in profile)

1. Place a brace on the usb-c male plug and find a way to anchor it to the body of the phone (on the sides of the plug attached to the bottom of the phone and one on the back side, to avoid the screen?)

2. Devise a way to have the plug receive less of the impact of the cable yanking it around. (I've also noticed that the 3.5/2.5mm female port tends to add weight that gets thrown around, especially with larger port modules), for this one I'm thinking of making the dac's own wire between the usb-c plug and headphone output port something of a shock absorber by making it 'spring like'. In it's simplest form maybe stiffening the cable would do? or more elaborately a proper spring system custom made for it.

If you made it this far, thanks lol I know it seems kinda unecessary but we are kind of obsessive over these things I think. I'd appreciate you all weighing in though, or do tell me if it's flawed (any designers/engineers here?)

Thanks!

May 15, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #2,397 of 6,526
Yo, addressing the previous discussion on possible damage to the usb-c female port. I've got a theory, can you all weigh in?

I'm thinking that most of the damage comes from the slack of the headphone wire bouncing around and yanking the usb-c male plug around the usb-c female port causing it to loosen out the plug's friction fit with the port.

Additionally, I have a few ideas on how to reduce it; (other than @brazy001 's idea of completely anchoring it on the back, which I think is great but does make the phone a bit thicker in profile)

1. Place a brace on the usb-c male plug and find a way to anchor it to the body of the phone (on the sides of the plug attached to the bottom of the phone and one on the back side, to avoid the screen?)

2. Devise a way to have the plug receive less of the impact of the cable yanking it around. (I've also noticed that the 3.5/2.5mm female port tends to add weight that gets thrown around, especially with larger port modules), for this one I'm thinking of making the dac's own wire between the usb-c plug and headphone output port something of a shock absorber by making it 'spring like'. In it's simplest form maybe stiffening the cable would do? or more elaborately a proper spring system custom made for it.

If you made it this far, thanks lol I know it seems kinda unecessary but we are kind of obsessive over these things I think. I'd appreciate you all weighing in though, or do tell me if it's flawed (any designers/engineers here?)

Thanks!
Actually I am planning to use a DIY solution of tying it with a thread (the one usually is used to tie cables OOTB in most IEMs) in a manner where most of the bulk is focused on the wire as opposed to the USB C port. This will enable in keeping phone bulk in check. I might be wrong but what's harm in trying.

May 16, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #2,398 of 6,526
Hi everyone!
On AliExpress here the ibasso dc03 and the tempotec sonata hd pro have about the same price, so which one should I buy for a very low impedance IEM (<10 ohm)?
Are there other options at about the same price point (~50$)?
Thank you!

May 16, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #2,399 of 6,526
IMG_20210515_105949_110.jpg
Just arrived 💝
1 dd_hifi TC44B
2 hibymusic FC3
3 hilidac Beam 2
4 e1DA 9038D
5 shanlingaudio UA2
Really interested in your opinion about the ua2, I was tempted but I already have too many dongles, thinking of thinning the herd actually, the ddhifi and beam 2 are exceptional dongles, e1da its a monster on its own though I find it to need proper power supply or else it doesn’t shine.

May 16, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #2,400 of 6,526
i have beam 2. please compare it with UA2, dont forget try 2.5mm bal port too.. :D

sorry i dont have 2.5, only 4.4 cable with me now so just tried 3.5 se

i happily keep beam 2 if i were you 💝

Really interested in your opinion about the ua2, I was tempted but I already have too many dongles, thinking of thinning the herd actually, the ddhifi and beam 2 are exceptional dongles, e1da its a monster on its own though I find it to need proper power supply or else it doesn’t shine.

Never had other dongle other then iBasso all DC series before...

my first impression the one that interests me the most is Hilidac Beam 2. never heard this brand before but really beam 2 sounds very neutral transparent revealing. cons hot but paid by its performance

UA2 has slightly elevated on bass warmer, thicker especially in mid, softer on top in comparison. pros design & well constructed USB C to C cable

e1DA is the most powerful, Neutral but not as transparent as BEAM 2 imo. Cons battery vampire

HiBy FC3 safest smooth tuning musical slightly warm pros dedicated vol rocker but can make awkward in UAPP, smallest + come with leather case 💝

ddhifi tc44b virtually identical to iBasso DC04, Pros more versatile with 2.5 option, usb cable feels solid, Cons weird bulky shape

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back