USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Aug 20, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #1,486 of 6,468
Great thread - but way too much info at 99 pages. I wish we had a summary of the OP's original thought:
it's time to start compiling the list for the best USB-C to 3.5mm adapter DACs

Aug 26, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #1,489 of 6,468
Anybody here listened to both LG V30 and Erilles 9280c Pro dac?

I dropped my V30 while some iems were plugged in and now the inside of my V30 3.5mm port is bent and only works with that one cable -_-

After switching to another phone (my V30 was dying anyway) I now realize just how good i had it. Can the 9280c dac compare to the quad dac or am I gonna need to shell out for the EIDA9038s to be satisfied with the sq?

Aug 26, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #1,490 of 6,468
I bought a ES9280C PRO ESS USB DAC/AMP at the last aliexpress sale, just arrived. Got it at $25 USD after coupons.

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-05 at 15.29.14.jpeg

Specs:
  • Type: USB type C to 3.5mm headphone jack
  • Support sampling rate: PCM 44.1/ 48 / 96/192Khz/384Khz 24bit to 32bit, DSD64/DSD128 DOP
  • Support Hi-Res audio and SACD.
  • Output impedance: 8 Ohms to 600 Ohms
  • Output power: 30mw at 32 Ohms, 2Vrms at 600 Ohms
  • Output level: 2Vrms max
  • Data transfer speed: USB 2.0
  • S/N ratio: >120dB at 1Khz
  • Dynamic >122dB
  • Crosstalk < -126dB at 32 Ohms
  • Total length: 10cm
The DAC chip is ES9280C PRO from ESS made in USA, it support DSD64 and DSD128, Support PCM up to 32bit 384Khz

Got it to try out this new DAC chip, for comparisons, my other DAC/AMP USB dongles are the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro and Tempotec Sonata HD (non Pro) and an apple lightning dongle. I still like the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro more in terms of sound quality, wrote a small review about it here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tempotec-sonata-hd-pro.24181/reviews#item-review-23794

Pros of ES9280C PRO ESS
- clean background, no hiss, no clicking.
- plug and play, no need driver installation.
- much more juice to drive higher impedance stuff than Tempotec Sonata HD Pro.
- double thickenss in cable braiding than Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, feels more sturdy for cable bending.
- very low output impedance, low THD.
- compatible with mic.

Cons:
- on first listening, I find it tinge less detailed and having less instrument separation/clarity than the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, but I will do more A/B testing over the next few days. It's still good mind you, but I'm still using the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro as my gold standard comparison for now.
- heats up quite a lot with use, very warm to touch, unlike Tempotec Sonata HD Pro.
- no volume controller.

Ok after testing the ES9280C PRO ESS for a month or so, I'm not certain it is a ES9280C DAC inside, but it has quite a lot of power to drive some higher impedance cans and buds.

It does heat up after use, no hiss/clicks, clean background.

Compared to Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, it is more musical and dynamic, slightly more coloured than Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. Soundstage is narrower than Sonata HD Pro, with lesser details, clarity, instrument separation than Sonata HD Pro.

Overall, Tempotec Sonata HD Pro is still my go to, the only area this DAC wins is in power. Sonata HD Pro can't drive 300 ohm stuff well or planars well. Maybe if one wants a less analytical DAC and just wants to chill and listen to something more coloured, this is an option.

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #1,492 of 6,468
Sep 5, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #1,493 of 6,468
Screenshot_20200905-191058_Twitter.jpg

Sep 8, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #1,498 of 6,468
You need UAPP or Neutron.
There is a fix on xda but it only works with android 7 or 8 I forgot. Couldn't make it work on my phone which was too recent.
I doubt this will be "fixed" since apple designed this dongle for the iPad pro, not android devices so it doesn't follow android standards.

So I picked one of the Apple lightning dongles for the heck of it. I think it works ok with Android. It won't get super loud for sure, but I have it about 3-4 steps away from the top and I can't imagine going any louder. It would be really loud.

Sep 8, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #1,499 of 6,468
Hello everyone, recently discovered type-c dac's and loving the results im getting with the Apple adaptor with my ibasso it01. How much of an improvement would I get if I went forward with say a DC02 or some other ones mentioned in this thread? People with expensive adaptors, have the cable broken?

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #1,500 of 6,468
So I picked one of the Apple lightning dongles for the heck of it. I think it works ok with Android. It won't get super loud for sure, but I have it about 3-4 steps away from the top and I can't imagine going any louder. It would be really loud.

Everybody, do remember that loudness that you are able to reach with a certain USB-C dongle is also dependent on the sensitivity/impedance of the headphones. Harder to drive headphones/iems/buds require more amplification power from the dongle.

So fit your USB-C dongle needs based on the loudness you require and the headphones you will be using with the dongle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back