USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Apr 8, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #1,142 of 6,526
E1da 9038s or some budget DAP like Tempotec V1?
Yes.
I use them together. I'm quite picky about quality (and spoiled rotten :p ) and I like them a lot. Like above mentioned, it's not the same thing, but it's a very good combo. If you want even more versatility and still very good sound, I use the Tempotec HD pro with the V1 too, sound is a bit less analytical and can also do DSD. Very enjoyable.

Apr 12, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #1,144 of 6,526
Just checking who’s got the hilidac beam2 around? Last 2 firmware updates made a lot for it, yesterday/ today there was a new firmware update and so far, sound is fuller and has a bit less harshness in the treble. I use mine mainly with my iPhone X on balanced exit, today I’ve got my meizu pro, need to get a usb to lightning cable, but will test first with my iPad. Lets see how it goes

hello i do have both Atom Pro and Beam2 and see each firmware is getting better! I had problem at night with beam2 having light constantly on so i have firmware with switching light off after 3s initially and now i can enjoy chillout music without light

Apr 13, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #1,145 of 6,526
What are your suggestions for a great "bang for your buck" DAC which have a 2.5mm out (like Apple/Meizu, but for 2.5mm)? I see iBasso DC01, but seem like not many people like it.
ibasso is OK. E1DA 9038s is better.

Apr 13, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #1,146 of 6,526
the usb-c port on my galaxy s10e has gotten fragile, and while i can still get a good charge (though sometimes it'll warn about a bad connection), audio dongles just drop out constantly, so i can't use my meizu pro. luckily the builtin 3.5 jack actually sounds just about as good (once i disabled the soundalive and hearingadjust packages). i was looking at the fiio btr5 as a possible upgrade that i can use wired for when i'm using my laptop that i can still use with my phone via bluetooth. can anyone compare the sound out of the mezu pro and the btr5 wired? is that something you have to have really good ears to hear the difference?

Apr 14, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #1,147 of 6,526
Got my Meizu Hifi Dac Pro and my headphones sound a bit louder powered by jack socket from my laptop than powered by Meizu Dac Pro.
I've tested on Kingston HyperX (60 ohm), KZ ZS6 (16 ohm) and Zero Audio Carbo Tenore (16 ohm). They sound just a bit louder powered by my laptop jack socket and I wonder if my Meizu Dac Pro is faulty or is it expected to work like that?
I thought it is supposed to amplify volume noticeably

Besides, music quality is noticeably better with Meizu Hifi Dac Pro..
what laptop do you have ? it may have an internal sound card with output power > meizu pro 100mW ( for your low impedences devices the meizu non pro 30mW must be powerful enough are you at more than 20% volume on meizu pro with your 60 ohms device ? )

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #1,148 of 6,526
My DC01 is a tangible improvement vs my notebook's internal Sabre DAC and my phone's 3.5mm output. Tried with with the ISN H40, Oriveti NP and a couple earbuds (Monks, HP32s etc) and in all cases the pairing was really nice. Also no battery drain issues.
However I'm forced to let it go so if anyone needs it let me know in pm.

Apr 14, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #1,149 of 6,526
Hi, i have the XBA-N3 and I'm looking for something that really change the quality of the audio compared to my honor 10, I listen from home so I don't care about the size and weight, I just have to stay in bed with him, and then I don't care the power of the volume, what do you recommend?

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #1,150 of 6,526
Hi, i have the XBA-N3 and I'm looking for something that really change the quality of the audio compared to my honor 10, I listen from home so I don't care about the size and weight, I just have to stay in bed with him, and then I don't care the power of the volume, what do you recommend?
I would say the E1DA 9038s, the iBasso DC01 or the Meizu HiFi DAC Pro. The first 2 are 2.5mm balanced while the third is a regular 3.5mm. In terms of sound quality, the former two options are a bit ahead but require a balanced cable on your end. Additionally they consume a bit more power from your smartphone's USB-C port. The later choice let's you use a regular 3.5mm cable however its CS43131 DAC is a bit inferior vs the AK4493EQ or the ES9038Q2M. I've heard the 9038S (a loan from a friend) and own the DC01.

Apr 15, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #1,151 of 6,526
So I thought the Meizu Pro dongle was supposed to output it's maximum power on an Android phone? It gets much louder plugged into the USB-C port on my windows laptop. Roughly 20% on the windows laptop is equal to roughly 50% on my Android phone.

Apr 15, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #1,152 of 6,526
So I thought the Meizu Pro dongle was supposed to output it's maximum power on an Android phone? It gets much louder plugged into the USB-C port on my windows laptop. Roughly 20% on the windows laptop is equal to roughly 50% on my Android phone.
Probably some volume limiter. Which phone? Check online on how to override. Failing that, try UAPP

Apr 15, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #1,153 of 6,526
Probably some volume limiter. Which phone? Check online on how to override. Failing that, try UAPP

Phone is a OnePlus 7T. I tried USB Audio Player Pro and it says it doesn't have control over the hardware volume.

NVM about the hardware volume control part. Got that to work, but volume is still lower when used with the phone.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #1,154 of 6,526
Hi guys,
i have question maybe someone knows answer.
On android phone it exist usb controller that can limit use of USB at for example 20% of the battery?

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #1,155 of 6,526

Try ibasso DC02 for your sony xba-n3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back