USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Mar 9, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #1,096 of 6,468
it looks nice enough but it has only a Realtek Alc4042 inside. So don't expect sound quality to match. I bough another one with a 4242 (iirc) and that doesn't sound that good. Mine has a toslink optical out, that's why I bought it.
Any way to pay is fine on Ali, CC, PP (extra%), I used iDeal (direct from bank). Just never use Western Union ea (simple wire transfer often used for scams)
Ah thanks for the info. What chip should I look for?

Mar 9, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #1,097 of 6,468
Just checking who’s got the hilidac beam2 around? Last 2 firmware updates made a lot for it, yesterday/ today there was a new firmware update and so far, sound is fuller and has a bit less harshness in the treble. I use mine mainly with my iPhone X on balanced exit, today I’ve got my meizu pro, need to get a usb to lightning cable, but will test first with my iPad. Lets see how it goes

Mar 12, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #1,098 of 6,468
Here's some power consumption measurements:
Dongle Power Consumption.png

Mar 12, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #1,099 of 6,468
do you think ibasso DC02 is the most cost effective, most convenient and best sound per dollar USB dap? i heard that bass fiends don't like it, but i seem to like it however, apart from listening a few youtube music, i don't use it for music as i have a separate DAP, more for netflix and youtube on my huawei p30 pro, i have used it with Astell and Kern Michelle limited and sony XBA40, i probably try it on my AKG K511 soon or maybe wired mode on sony WH-1000XM3, I will probably try it on my switch as apparently it works as well

Mar 13, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #1,100 of 6,468
Ah thanks for the info. What chip should I look for?
there are several manufacturers and they usuly have a range going from cheap to high end. The better solutions use and extra opamp after the dac (io integrated) to drive more demanding headphones with more power. I like the 9038q2m so I bought the 9038s,but it only has a 2.5mm balanced input. I must say, I like the Tempotec HD pro too. It cost about €40 and it sounds really good. I can't compare it to the 9038s 1vs1 yet because the cable I ordered takes forever. I only have 2 balanced iem 0.75mm cable and no 2.5mm plug. Small packages take forever from China atm (Corona), it's a bit hit and miss. The 9038s arrived really quick but the cable...

Mar 13, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #1,101 of 6,468
there are several manufacturers and they usuly have a range going from cheap to high end. The better solutions use and extra opamp after the dac (io integrated) to drive more demanding headphones with more power. I like the 9038q2m so I bought the 9038s,but it only has a 2.5mm balanced input. I must say, I like the Tempotec HD pro too. It cost about €40 and it sounds really good. I can't compare it to the 9038s 1vs1 yet because the cable I ordered takes forever. I only have 2 balanced iem 0.75mm cable and no 2.5mm plug. Small packages take forever from China atm (Corona), it's a bit hit and miss. The 9038s arrived really quick but the cable...

The 9038s is not so good for portability because he don't have battery

Mar 14, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #1,102 of 6,468
The 9038s is not so good for portability because he don't have battery
see topic title... I'm glad it doesn't! Now it just dangles on the plug and it doesn't bother me. Put a battery in it and you need to strap it down again. Carry the extra weight around... I don't call that portability.

There is always a trade-off between quality and size. If you want smaller, don't use a 6" smartphone. If you want smaller, get a mini MP3-player and plug the earbuds in directly.

When I use my Tempotec V1 as server, plus the 9038s or Tempotec HD pro I get real HR quality in an incredibly small package. At work I just set up the soundsystem in the workshop and plugged it in to one of those €10 '100W' digital amps bypassing the simple sbc BT, straight in the aux (powered by a ridiculous €3 5V2A wall wart). Unbelievable sound! I have a setup rivalling 100k systems I heard on demos and I know what sounds good. But that little setup really keeps me satisfied while I'm building speakers (or tables, or a bed). And that's not even meant to be portable but it's smaller than 2 packets of cigarettes (if that is still a PC comparison).

Mar 15, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #1,104 of 6,468
see topic title... I'm glad it doesn't! Now it just dangles on the plug and it doesn't bother me. Put a battery in it and you need to strap it down again. Carry the extra weight around... I don't call that portability.

There is always a trade-off between quality and size. If you want smaller, don't use a 6" smartphone. If you want smaller, get a mini MP3-player and plug the earbuds in directly.

When I use my Tempotec V1 as server, plus the 9038s or Tempotec HD pro I get real HR quality in an incredibly small package. At work I just set up the soundsystem in the workshop and plugged it in to one of those €10 '100W' digital amps bypassing the simple sbc BT, straight in the aux (powered by a ridiculous €3 5V2A wall wart). Unbelievable sound! I have a setup rivalling 100k systems I heard on demos and I know what sounds good. But that little setup really keeps me satisfied while I'm building speakers (or tables, or a bed). And that's not even meant to be portable but it's smaller than 2 packets of cigarettes (if that is still a PC comparison).

I have the V1 and 9038s setup too, incredible results.

Mar 16, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #1,105 of 6,468
I have used a some type C DACs and reviewed them too. From my side

20$ Best - DD TC35 ( Good - Build quality, price, sound )
Bad - Nothing. Detailed review - Here

30$ Best - ISN Audio Type C DAC (Good - Build quality, sound)
Bad - No mic support, No ASIO driver)
Better than BGCP T01 because ISN Audio's DAC cable is stronger than T01.
Detailed review - Here

40$ Best - Tempotec Sonata HD Pro (Good - Great Sound, power, Price, Build)
BAD- None. Detailed Review - Here

50$ Best- Yet to try Meizu Hi-Fi Pro

70$ Best - Zorloo Ztella
(Good - Price (with discount), sound (Imaging and sound stage), MQA playback)
Better than Atom pro due to Atom pro's poor build quality.
Detailed review - Here

Recently using DD TC35B and Audirect Beam 2.

Mar 16, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #1,106 of 6,468

Detailed review - Here

70$ Best - Zorloo Ztella
Detailed review - Here

Nice reviews, I'd love to know what you think of the ibasso dc01 if you have listened to it

Mar 16, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #1,108 of 6,468
It doesn't battery drain more than other brands. I use it and can say it is effective bang per buck. :)

Mar 16, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #1,109 of 6,468

Detailed review - Here

70$ Best - Zorloo Ztella
Detailed review - Here

if you get the chance, try the ibasso dc02, it's really good and i have not notice any battery drain. i suspect that the DC01 which uses balanced 2.5mm may use more power

Users who are viewing this thread

Back