USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Feb 4, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #1,051 of 6,526
SQ-wise, is there a big difference between Apple USB-C dongle and Meizu Hifi Pro?
With mid-fi iems it is quite subtle. Almost more like a side-grade actually.
I would say I like ikko oh10 (1BA+1DD) a tad more with apple dongle. It sounds more relaxed and open.
With magaosi K5 (5BA), meizu gives a thicker, smoother sound.
Using high impedance earbuds, like 600 OHM, meizu dong is better because more power but for sensitive iem, its a case by case thing

Feb 4, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #1,052 of 6,526
The multiple strand usb-c to usb-c cable I linked earlier came in the mail. Seems to have gold plated ends (though that is not significant in a digital cable).

More importantly it is as flexible and thin as I hoped for.

Came in an inconspicuous thin tin puck.
P_20200204_172132.jpg

Here is the cable.

P_20200204_172200.jpg

Feb 8, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #1,053 of 6,526
My review of iBasso DC02:

Pros: Exciting & fun sound
Good detail retrieval
High performance/price value
iBasso UAC app
Good aesthetics and build quality
Included USB-C to USB-A adapter

Cons: Grainy sound
I would like it to use AK4493 like DC01

Removing the 3.5mm headphone jack from smartphones was an absolute mistake, period. And while I still blame Apple for that, it actually caused dongles like iBasso DC02 to be made. It's the little and unbalanced brother of iBasso DC01 and uses an AK4490 chip, which can natively play DSD files up to DSD256.

DC02's sound signature is exciting and fun overally while being a bit grainy, which is not necessarily a bad thing, as it can help the sound to remain exciting. However it can be too much depending on volume or song.

Android's native SQ is horrible (and resamples everything to 48KHz). But apart from that, one of its biggest problems is volume controlling which not only has "just" 15 steps, but uses an algorithm which changes the volume level in software level, that really hurts the SQ. Audiophile players use custom drivers to overcome the SQ problem, but only 2 players provide more volume steps AFAIK: Poweramp and UAPP, each with its own problems. To overcome this, iBasso has designed an application named iBasso UAC that provides 64-step bit-perfect volume controlling. The best thing about it is that you can use it along with your favourite player's custom driver.

Finally the USB-C to USB-A adapter lets you connect DC02 (or any other dongles) to PCs or even microUSB devices using an OTG cable.

I think it's been one of my best purchases till now. Highly recommended!

Feb 9, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #1,054 of 6,526
This guy on taobao got various versions of multi-stranded straight usb-c to usb-c cables. And right-angle ones.

复Zhi这行话₤rtLm1eS2Q6d₤转移至淘宀┡ē【全镀金✅双头type C转type c to usb-c公对公 耳放解码器音频线连接线数字信号转换线 typec对typec otg解码线】;或 https://m.tb.cn/h.VX9SXbo?sm=a30c00 嚸↑↓擊鏈バ接,再选择瀏覽●噐○咑ぺ鐦

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #1,055 of 6,526
More than unexpected results of A/B IEMs comparison paired with E1DE 9038S. Checked on Bloodline’s (should not be confused with the namesake of Heavy Metal band) “Trouble is my business”. Trying to write the post as short as possible not to make it too huge and thus, stating things which are most obvious without going into too many details.

TRN V90- too much treble. If the volume is increased you will get sibilants. The soundstage is medium, being not too wide and not too deep. The bass is good.

TFZ MLE- the lows are nice, the treble being OK. To me V-shape is more than it should be and the mids can hardly be heard. Nothing extraordinary in the soundstage.

Sony XBA Z5- too much of a V-shape, but the bass and the treble are amazing. The bass is layered. It’s the best out of all IEMs reviewed here.

KZ ZS7- too much highs with the volume level a bit more than average. Thus, the sound is quite sharp and almost piercing when listened to loudly. You have to reduce the sound volume to have the average loudness being the same with other IEMs.

TFZ T2- the amount of lows is the biggest out of all IEMs mentioned here, except for Sony XBA Z5. The bass layering is less too. All the rest is very good, i.e. soundstage, instrument separation and sound frequencies.

KZ ZSX (Termi) – too much highs. To me they are the worst reviewed here.

Blon BL3- the lows are very good. Quite V-shaped. The highs are of the amount perfect for me. Increasing the sound volume does not lead to the appearance of sibilants. If they had slightly more mids they would definitely be IEM number 1 for me and had complete synergy with 9038S (which is almost there).

Ostry KC09- are the quietest of all. If I have them at a mid volume I hear too much highs. They do not go to sibilants though at any sound volume and thus can be used successfully listening to styles like Heavy Metal and the like. The lows are good as is the soundstage.

Finally, this is my picture of the IEMs reviewed here from the best to the worst when paired with E1DE 9038S:
Blon BL3- Sony XBA Z5- TFZ T2- Ostry KC09- KZ ZS7- TFZ MLE- TRN V90- KZ ZSX

Everything stated here is IMO.

If anybody wants me to compare other IEMs I own (see my signature) please feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #1,058 of 6,526
I read somewhere that audio can't pass through usb-c, Idk anything technical, but even when apple's lightning adapter had come out people were talking about whether its a dac or just audio pass-through until someone took x-ray photos of it and found a dac/amp chip inside

again don't know anything technical but the lack of information is probably from the lack of interest in this usb-c dongle or it could be just sony being sony and not wanting to share hardware

or I could be wrong and usb-c could passthrough analog audio, idk
That is wrong. There is an alternate mode in USB-C that switches certain pins to analog audio signals. Wikipedia has information about it, if you are interessted.

Sony is using that for their adapter

Feb 11, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #1,059 of 6,526
Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #1,060 of 6,526
That is wrong. There is an alternate mode in USB-C that switches certain pins to analog audio signals. Wikipedia has information about it, if you are interessted.

Sony is using that for their adapter

yeah, I figured it out eventually, I had bought it from ebay only to find out later that it was only a pass-through adapter and such things exist, luckily I got a refund for it

Feb 13, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #1,061 of 6,526
Does anyone know if a Cambridge Audit DacMagic would work with a USB C to USB Micro adapter/cable hooked up to a mobile?

Feb 15, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #1,063 of 6,526
Does anyone know if a Cambridge Audit DacMagic would work with a USB C to USB Micro adapter/cable hooked up to a mobile?

Answered my own Q.

It does not, at least on the P30 Pro.

The blue indicator light flashes suggesting power going to the Dac, but no audio is heard.

Feb 15, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #1,064 of 6,526
Answered my own Q.

It does not, at least on the P30 Pro.

The blue indicator light flashes suggesting power going to the Dac, but no audio is heard.

Did you make sure to use an OTG cable? Unlike usb-c, the old formats requires an on-the-go cable for most devices to be recognized.

But no gaurentees.

Also you may need to play with the usb handshake settings in Developer Options.

Screenshot_20200216-072954383 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20200216-073006533.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #1,065 of 6,526
Hello all

First post here. Currently using Soditer USB C to 3.5mm Adapter,USB-C to 3.5mm dac with VE monk plus for mobile listening. Just purchased some yincrow x6s (gold and red). Was looking at usb-c to 3.55 mm dac's on Amazon (really getting into this hobby!) and saw this (very frivolous but looks cool in my book)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphone-...&pd_rd_r=47291236-94f5-4f41-a42d-68b9943b2264

Can't find any info/specs on it. Anybody got one?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back