USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Dec 27, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #5,911 of 6,485
Dec 27, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #5,912 of 6,485
Hi,
I responded in a private message. Sorry I did that before seeing this.
I never ever go mobile - not my thing. This will always be at home and always through my 50 ohm input impedance preamp which only accepts a single ended input so I'm always always going out the 3.5mm.

So, because the m12 seeing 50 ohm impedance through the 3.5 out will be running at low gain.... I was wondering if I should put an input impedance adapter in place to increase the input impedance of the load to above 70 so that the M12 will be running in high gain ? I thought maybe you were saying it sounded better that way?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #5,914 of 6,485
Thanks for the response.

Yes that was the only serious review I have seen till now. I thought for any news from users that have it
I confirm word for word what Andy says in his review. If you love analog sound and don't want to pay the kind of money needed to buy dongles like the PAW S2, RU6 or Hiby FC6, the Colorfly is the right choice. I've been listening to it since yesterday (when it arrived) and I have to say that, especially in relation to its cost, it's an excellent dongle. Also because for 65 euros there aren't many dongles that have this type of sound.

Dec 28, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #5,915 of 6,485
Colorfly CDA MP1: the dongle with an "analogue" sound and a "trial" cost

More out of curiosity than anything else I purchased this dongle... just to see what kind of "analog" sound you can get by spending 65 euros. I've been listening to it since yesterday and I must say that we have now reached a truly surprising point regarding low-cost dongles. The Colorfly is built like a tank, solid, heavy, well made and with everything needed to convince even the most diehards of the level reached by these amp-dacs no bigger than a lighter. For those who want to try the "analog" sound if it could be "their" sound, they can easily try this great little dongle. Without spending large amounts of money, which until yesterday were essential to have a dongle with a sound free of excess, soft, engaging, which highlights the voices and individual instruments without ever being tiring or with an empty and thin sound to be able to be defined. .. the new Colorfly is aimed at all those who are looking for this type of sound. Obviously this is only the first step down the rabbit hole... but from this step you will receive useful indications on what a dongle can do when built well and above all when it sounds good. The cable it comes with is also of a high standard (for the asking price), and the AKM 4493SEQ chip is tuned in the old fashioned way of the famous AKM (pre-factory fire) Velvet Sound to the nth degree. Obviously, due to the type of sound that the dongle expresses, it is advisable to use it with IEMs/headphones without an exaggerated coloration or presence of low and medium-low frequencies, preferring instead natural and flat transducers... it will put the body of the sound there without any problem. I purchased it as I often do on Hifigo, but if you want to give it a chance you can find it on many stores. It is understood that for those who already own dongles with this type of sound (Lotoo PAW S2/Cayin RU6/Hiby FC6/Cayin RU7) it will not represent a novelty, but it must be considered that it costs from a third to a fifth compared to the dongles listed . Try it if you like and find out whether or not the analog sound is the sound you prefer over the classic sound of most of the various delta/sigma implementations. For 65 euros you can give it a try.

Dec 28, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #5,916 of 6,485
I confirm word for word what Andy says in his review. If you love analog sound and don't want to pay the kind of money needed to buy dongles like the PAW S2, RU6 or Hiby FC6, the Colorfly is the right choice. I've been listening to it since yesterday (when it arrived) and I have to say that, especially in relation to its cost, it's an excellent dongle. Also because for 65 euros there aren't many dongles that have this type of sound.
So I believe I would pull the trigger.

I believe it is a fair upgrade from IFI Go Link right?
Moreover have you tested if M1P can be used as a dac only and be connected to an external amplifier? I had tested my Go Link and it worked. I could believe that it could happened!

My only concern is if would be capable to drive my HD600 and big hope to drive K701 too! So as to skip the option of something stable as a solution as I do not want to have much space for my dac/amp.

Thanks for all!

Dec 28, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #5,917 of 6,485

Moreover have you tested if M1P can be used as a dac only and be connected to an external amplifier? I had tested my Go Link and it worked. I could believe that it could happened!

My only concern is if would be capable to drive my HD600 and big hope to drive K701 too! So as to skip the option of something stable as a solution as I do not want to have much space for my dac/amp.

Thanks for all!
I don't know the Go Link, I usually never talk about upgrades, but always about different sounds and it will certainly sound much more analogue than the ifi. As for driving iems/headphones, it drives them like a RU6 would and better than an S2 would do having more power, but now, I try to use dongles almost always with external amplifications. In fact, I use a Cayin iHA-6 for the headphones and a Venture Electronics RA2BFE for the iems, what external amplifications give cannot be compared to what dongles/daps can give even if they are very expensive. They can also provide high volumes... but sound is not just about volume.

Dec 28, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #5,918 of 6,485
Colorfly CDA MP1 sounds good, but is ridiculously heavy (for a dongle)👎

Dec 28, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #5,919 of 6,485

Thanks for all!
Thank you for the response I still have an Heed CanAmp as my external amplification.

Hope to be good enough to drive if needs my hd600 and K701 cans.

Do you know about CanAmp from Heed Audio?

Dec 28, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #5,921 of 6,485
Yes I guess you are right as I check it seems to be a bit heavy. But as I check I do not find any other to be such good at this price range.
I guess only DC04PRO, which I do now own, but is the only one which I think can be comparable.
The price range of the Colorfly is not the same as the DC04PRO, but if you consider the price of the iBasso there are very good alternatives to the Colorfly even if it has a more analogue sound. For example, the Shanling UA3 which uses the same chip as the Colorfly is lighter and has a more natural and less analogue sound, but still a very respectable and very coherent sound. While if you are looking for a really small dongle there is always the excellent Questyle M12... which has nothing to envy of other dongles in terms of sound. Having said that, the most analogue and rounded sound (at the extremes) is always that of the Colorfly.

Dec 28, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #5,922 of 6,485
The price range of the Colorfly is not the same as the DC04PRO, but if you consider the price of the iBasso there are very good alternatives to the Colorfly even if it has a more analogue sound. For example, the Shanling UA3 which uses the same chip as the Colorfly is lighter and has a more natural and less analogue sound, but still a very respectable and very coherent sound. While if you are looking for a really small dongle there is always the excellent Questyle M12... which has nothing to envy of other dongles in terms of sound. Having said that, the most analogue and rounded sound (at the extremes) is always that of the Colorfly.
That is my issue with the dongle so much that still can not decide or find out which is the most value for money! Same think with iem at the price range of 20-50$.

If you would have to choose which will be your preferable DC04PRO,Shanling UA3,Q M12 or Colorfly?

Or you would keep your money for something more expensive as a leap to a cost of plus 50 to 100 euro/dollars will justify the gap?

Thanks for all!

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #5,924 of 6,485
That is my issue with the dongle so much that still can not decide or find out which is the most value for money! Same think with iem at the price range of 20-50$.

If you would have to choose which will be your preferable DC04PRO,Shanling UA3,Q M12 or Colorfly?

Or you would keep your money for something more expensive as a leap to a cost of plus 50 to 100 euro/dollars will justify the gap?

Thanks for all!
It all depends on how you intend to pursue this hobby... whether the research is directed towards the "end game" or towards the diversification of sound signatures to find always different synergies even with respect to the various IEMs/headphones. I started by trying to buy complementary dongles and ended up buying all the most expensive ones and I have to tell you that in the end they are not the ones I use the most. The DC04PRO could be an excellent "end game" but in reality a true "end game" does not exist even if we consider the Luxury & Precision W4 (the most expensive dongle I own) because it is completely different from, for example, the Hiby FC6 or the DC04PRO . In the end, every dongle has its own sound and each one deserves to be listened to. If you are just starting out, or simply want a dongle that can suffice you straight away, I think the DC04PRO is an excellent starting point, but at the same time also an excellent point of arrival.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back