USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
May 13, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #4,861 of 6,511
Did I sell the btr3k today, I think I'm thinking of switching to a wired model. Is there a noticeable sound quality difference between the $15 meizu and the truthear shio? There are many models on the market, there are models with ess 9270 and cs 43131 at affordable prices. I have so many options, which one is good?

- ibasso dc03 pro cs 43131
- whizzer da 1 ess 9270
- whizzer da 1 cube ess 9281c
- fiio ka 3
- truthear shio
- meizu cx 31993

I usually want to use it as a reference in iems review articles.

I'm looking for any advice except the broken sonata and the silly hiby.
In that budget segment, TruthEar Shio have dual output and decent power output via balance cable. it also have great sound.
not the best build quality but for the price and features it give, can't complain

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #4,862 of 6,511
In that budget segment, TruthEar Shio have dual output and decent power output. it also have great sound.
Yes, it would have been better without the leather. 43198 in it caught my attention, I'll reevaluate, but I've seen too many people here who have software problems with shio. thanks!

May 13, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #4,863 of 6,511
Yes, it would have been better without the leather. 43198 in it caught my attention, I'll reevaluate, but I've seen too many people here who have software problems with shio. thanks!
technically there are way more great options in the sub-$200,
from Link2bal, DC04Pro, KA5, or the old S9 pro.

tough in the sub$100, there is also Tanchjim Space who have pretty good review, dual output with good balance output.

May 13, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #4,864 of 6,511
technically there are way more great options in the sub-$200,
from Link2bal, DC04Pro, KA5, or the old S9 pro.

tough in the sub$100, there is also Tanchjim Space who have pretty good review, dual output with good balance output.
There are so many models on the market that I am confused, last time I stayed between ka 3 and btr3k and ordered btr3k. Definitely btr3k is a great device, but even in ldac mode, I realized that it doesn't give bass sounds very well, so I started using it wired. There was a 0.25 mw power output for 3.5 mm, I don't know why, but I thought of switching to a better model.

Yes, if you want to order from a good company, it may be necessary to go up to the $100 band. I don't understand why fiio is selling the k5 with cs chip so expensive, I wish it was a little more expensive than the ka 3. Instead of the ka 5, the shio is much more sensible and affordable, almost half the price. I'm going to order one today and it looks like shio or ibasso.

May 13, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #4,865 of 6,511
There are so many models on the market that I am confused, last time I stayed between ka 3 and btr3k and ordered btr3k. Definitely btr3k is a great device, but even in ldac mode, I realized that it doesn't give bass sounds very well, so I started using it wired. There was a 0.25 mw power output for 3.5 mm, I don't know why, but I thought of switching to a better model.

Yes, if you want to order from a good company, it may be necessary to go up to the $100 band. I don't understand why fiio is selling the k5 with cs chip so expensive, I wish it was a little more expensive than the ka 3. Instead of the ka 5, the shio is much more sensible and affordable, almost half the price. I'm going to order one today and it looks like shio or ibasso.
https://andyaudiovault.com/dongle-reviews/
this might help or confuse you with options

also to note, DAC/AMP dongle usually have their own "house sound", while being mostly neutral
there are things like Fiio tendency to be clean cold and analytical, Xduoo link2bal smoother treble which lead to slightly less analytical, other have warmer weightier tone.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #4,866 of 6,511
May 14, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #4,868 of 6,511
https://andyaudiovault.com/dongle-reviews/
this might help or confuse you with options

also to note, DAC/AMP dongle usually have their own "house sound", while being mostly neutral
there are things like Fiio tendency to be clean cold and analytical, Xduoo link2bal smoother treble which lead to slightly less analytical, other have warmer weightier tone.
I looked at this site yesterday, warm sound is my preference. My personal opinion is that the fiio's are not very hot, but balanced. My decision was to order the dc03 pro. I looked at the reviews and there are a lot of people recommending the dc03 pro.

May 14, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #4,869 of 6,511
It has a screen, a menu button and can skip back and forward. Adds to the cost
I don't know, same thing with calculator screen. haha

May 14, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #4,870 of 6,511
In that budget segment, TruthEar Shio have dual output and decent power output via balance cable. it also have great sound.
not the best build quality but for the price and features it give, can't complain

+ it has volume controls, 2 gain settings, is very light, not power hungry and does not even get warm.

IMHO perfect no-nonsense budget dongle 👍

May 14, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #4,871 of 6,511
+ it has volume controls, 2 gain settings, is very light, not power hungry and does not even get warm.

IMHO perfect no-nonsense budget dongle 👍

If only they didn't go with this faux leather poorly glued finish :worried:
Not sound related so kinda nitpicking, but still...

May 14, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #4,872 of 6,511
faux leather poorly glued finish

Your experience or internet sourced ?

Mine is made fine. Faux leather clued perfectly. Took me a while to even find the edges (so close together).

May 14, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #4,873 of 6,511

Mine is made fine. Faux leather clued perfectly. Took me a while to even find the edges (so close together).
Not my experience, just judging various photos on internet, i may be a bit harsh on the "poorly" part.

I guess it's a matter of preference, but i just don't like the faux leather glued solution that leaves a visible seam.

1f5693dca1363c12ce3e944eec332034_a5f28401-cd8c-44cb-877e-bd59d47a11be_2048x2048.jpg

If they absolutly wanted a soft touch finish i think a removable leather sleeve like the ddHifi TC44C would have been better, but certainly more expensive.

DD-ddHiFi-TC44C-USB-DAC-Amp-with-4-4mm-3-5mm-Dual-Outputs-Dual-CS43131-DAC.jpg_Q90.jpg

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #4,874 of 6,511

You are lucky.
With mine, the seam, the rigidity of this faux wrap was unbearable, so I totally skinned it - to see what is inside relived 5-year old experiences as well :)) - not bad, can be polished:
20230514_055230.jpg

My main problem with Shio, though, is that the volume buttons are not indepedent, and did not worked to be so as claimed in Android after several upgrade attempts (very poor software support as for many dongles). With the sensitive IEMs, only 3 finctional levels makes Shio pretty useless.
Also the sound signature changed after the upgrade. Now it is sort of "Crin tuned", if you know what I mean.
In another words, Shio is a too wild of a journey, unless one is into it.

My main one among 25+ is Tempotec E44 (really like BHD as well for polite warmer rendering).
E1DA can recommended for super power (need to be used with their software though and external battery unless you have usb 3 phone).
For the warm warm - Sonata III is the warmest I ever experienced (that finally ended m6 DAC journey - I got all that I needed).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back