USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Nov 29, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #4,261 of 6,454
Fiio KA3, with usb-c to lightning cable, for $89 incl shipping/tax to Norway is decent I guess? Value for money?

Am going to use it mostly with Philips X2HR from my HTPC and some with my iPhone 14 Pro.

Maybe I will try my Ikko OH10 on it as well, but not important since I also have the iKKO ITB03.
What's wrong with the ikko ITB03? I understand in can be used as usb dac with iPhone. I was interested in the ITB03 and BTR5, but the ITB03 seems expensive.

Nov 29, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #4,262 of 6,454
What's wrong with the ikko ITB03? I understand in can be used as usb dac with iPhone. I was interested in the ITB03 and BTR5, but the ITB03 seems expensive.
Nothing wrong. And yes it can be used as usb dac with iPhone.

I just don't want the hassle moving the ITB03 from the HTPC, to iPhone and back.
I also use it with LDAC BT from my BTA30 Pro (iKKO OH10 connected).

That's why I ordered the KA3 to use mainly from the HTPC and with Philips X2HR over-ears.

But of course I will try the KA3 with my iPhone and compare to the ITB03.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #4,264 of 6,454
Nothing wrong, did I say that? And yes it can be used as usb dac with iPhone.

I just don't want the hassle moving the ITB03 from the HTPC, to iPhone and back.
I also use it with LDAC BT from my BTA30 Pro (iKKO OH10 connected).

That's why I ordered the KA3 to use mainly from the HTPC and with Philips X2HR over-ears.

But of course I will try the KA3 with my iPhone and compare to the ITB03.
It was me assuming you wanted the KA3 because probably the ITB03 wasn't good enough XD.

Would you recommend it for iOS then (as bluetooth and USB dac)? I think the ITB03 is the only bluetooth dac I've found with AKM dac (AK4377). All other bluetooth dacs I've seen are ESS. And I'm curious about the AKM sound, since reviews described it as warmer and colored, instead of the bright and reference sound of the ESS dacs.

Yes, apparently I can get it "cheaper" right now on Ali.

Nov 29, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #4,265 of 6,454
It was me assuming you wanted the KA3 because probably the ITB03 wasn't good enough XD.

Would you recommend it for iOS then (as bluetooth and USB dac)? I think the ITB03 is the only bluetooth dac I've found with AKM dac (AK4377). All other bluetooth dacs I've seen are ESS. And I'm curious about the AKM sound, since reviews described it as warmer and colored, instead of the bright and reference sound of the ESS dacs.

I'm sorry that I can't answer your questions, since I don't have had the chance to compare it with a similar device. :frowning2:

And I just got it and need to use it a little longer to give an honest review.

Guess you have to use the expert reviews for guidance, unless there are others here who have some experiences.

I have just one negative issue with the ITB03, and that is the BT range with LDAC. Not very impressive.

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #4,266 of 6,454

Fiio BTR3K comes with the AK4377 as well. As much as I love AKM chips though, I sold my btr3k as it's too warm for my taste (probably my fault for pairing it with warm iems).

Nov 30, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #4,267 of 6,454
Most of these dongles or maybe all, do not support headsets microphone signal, which dongles would be supporting then? (Creative X1, play4! ?) I know Creative SXFI does, when it's not failing, and usb-c port is not wobbling to interrupt the signal

Nov 30, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #4,268 of 6,454
Most of these dongles or maybe all, do not support headsets microphone signal, which dongles would be supporting then? (Creative X1, play4! ?) I know Creative SXFI does, when it's not failing, and usb-c port is not wobbling to interrupt the signal
The apple dongle supports mic. The tempotec sonata hd (non pro) also has mic support, but I'm not sure if they are still available for purchase.

Nov 30, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #4,269 of 6,454
Sonata MHD supports mic.

Nov 30, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #4,270 of 6,454
I have the Cayin RU6, which is my end game at the moment with regards to dongle USB dacs. That's the biggest reason I am not taking a plunge at any other options; however, I do like Zorloo and thought I'd share their latest development. Glad to hear the Ztella MQA has served you well too.

PS: I cannot praise the RU6 enough:
- build quality is top quality
- sq is detailed and expansive, yet without the clinical tonality that most ESS dac/amps
- analogue sounding and terrific in terms of musicality: music is not that sterile way often witnessed during digital processing (from most implementations of ESS dac chips).
RU6 works well with my iPad Pro, but it draws too much power to work with my iPhone 6. I use the FiiO KA3 with my phone. It doesn’t have the top quality sound of the RU6, but for mobile listening it’s fine

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #4,271 of 6,454
I like the most realistic sound the best and out of the many usb dacs people have recommended here I find the dacport hd to be quite easily the type of sound I'm looking for. It sounds quite emotional despite not having the thickest note weight but it's certainly a bit more fuller then some of the popular ones mentioned here. The detail and technicality are also preserved so I believe this is the best all around dac I have ever tried. It's just soo well balanced and I believe it is versatile enough for people with all kinds of needs aside from the ones looking for a very warm and thick sound. I personally prefer really thick and male vocal focused sound signatures but sometimes I find those type of sound signatures comprising too much on detail, clarity and speed so in the end I end up settling for the best middle ground which I believe sounds something like the centrance dacport for my tastes. Exceptional usb dac and am soo happy that I finally fixed it's useless usb port after having to go to many people to repair it. That's the biggest con I'd say a useless fragile port.

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #4,272 of 6,454
And for some of the best dacs I've listened to include ru6, dacport hd, dragonfly red, Apple dongle and some more but I find the second best to be a tie between the apple dongle and the cayin ru6. The only other usb dac left that I really want to hear is the lotoo paw s2 soo am very eager to here someone compare that to one of the ones on my favourite list.

Nov 30, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #4,273 of 6,454
Anyone using dongles without hardware volume control with windows? I wonder how the volume scale works for you. I have a lusya es9018k1m dac and the listenable level is around 4-8/100.. Which is a bit ridiculous to be honest. Not enough steps, first few lacks power than suddenly it becomes loud.. and it's very easy to accidentally make a massive jump to unhealthy level. Like scrolling mouse wheel when the focus is on the volume slider. Are all dongles act similarly? Like the currently popular dongles around 30-60$. I'm considering getting one for portable use, but most of them have no buttons. :thinking:

For me hardware buttons are more user friendly like the sonata hd pro, I can max out the level in the OS and use the buttons to set volume.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #4,274 of 6,454
And for some of the best dacs I've listened to include ru6, dacport hd, dragonfly red, Apple dongle and some more but I find the second best to be a tie between the apple dongle and the cayin ru6. The only other usb dac left that I really want to hear is the lotoo paw s2 soo am very eager to here someone compare that to one of the ones on my favourite list.
Have you listened to the Go Bar Gold Edition?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back