USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Nov 28, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #3,212 of 6,458
Today we're looking at the Violectric Chronos on HFN. According to @Virtu Fortuna it is the best dongle he has ever listened to and as such we're we're giving it our recommended buy award.

https://www.headfonia.com/violectric-chronos-review/

1638093674576.png

Nov 28, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #3,213 of 6,458
Today we're looking at the Violectric Chronos on HFN. According to @Virtu Fortuna it is the best dongle he has ever listened to and as such we're we're giving it our recommended buy award.

https://www.headfonia.com/violectric-chronos-review/

1638093674576.png
I wouldn't call it sterile but on the opposite side I found it very organic and engaging.
Power wise , I respectfully disagree.
With the Deva pro I had to use all the available range to get enough volume for classical music listening and still it was lacking and pushed to it's limits adding harshness.
With the HD660S was good.

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #3,214 of 6,458
DSC09635-Edit copy.jpg

The Reyin DA-Plus is a compact digital-to-analog converter and amplifier (DAC/AMP) combination unit with 3.5mm single-ended and 2.5mm balanced outputs. The 3.5mm output doubles as an optical output with an included adapter.

The Reyin DA-Plus is an excellent candidate for a desktop stack replacement assuming one primarily listens to IEMs or reasonably efficient headphones.

My full review, with power consumption measurements and a comparison with the Hidizs S9, is available on my blog:

https://medium.com/bedrock-reviews/reiyin-da-plus-impressions-a4258a33a9cd

Nov 29, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #3,215 of 6,458
I would like to buy a DAC for my phone and Sennheiser earphone.
I am considering DD ddHiFi TC35 Pro, Tempotec Sonata E44, iBasso DC05 or any other alternative.
Would you please recommend one?
Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #3,216 of 6,458
This dongle, the Lavaudio DS100, has a CS43198 dac chip. The shell looks quite similar to one of the dongles Andy evaluated. It's $50.00 from Amazon.

1636328314661.png
I just got one in the mail yesterday, and put it back in the mail today. It should be illegal to house such a beautiful chip in such terrible device. Firstly, DSD didnt work. Like, in any capacity. Second; it could barely power my etys. Third, the "metal housing" is about .0002 mm thick and rattled together as if it was just snapped on there. Either that or the circuit board was rattling around inside lol. I may have been able to troubleshoot playback issues using the manual, only there wasnt one. And when i reached out to 1mil and told them of the issues, they promptly told me i need to turn on otg function and usb debugging on my phone. Glossing over the fact that i prefaced by saying i already had, and that ive used two other devices with cs43131 to stream dsd256. . . The DS100 gives obscure chifi companies everywhere a bad name.

Nov 29, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #3,217 of 6,458
I just got one in the mail yesterday, and put it back in the mail today. It should be illegal to house such a beautiful chip in such terrible device. Firstly, DSD didnt work. Like, in any capacity. Second; it could barely power my etys. Third, the "metal housing" is about .0002 mm thick and rattled together as if it was just snapped on there. Either that or the circuit board was rattling around inside lol. I may have been able to troubleshoot playback issues using the manual, only there wasnt one. And when i reached out to 1mil and told them of the issues, they promptly told me i need to turn on otg function and usb debugging on my phone. Glossing over the fact that i prefaced by saying i already had, and that ive used two other devices with cs43131 to stream dsd256. . . The DS100 gives obscure chifi companies everywhere a bad name.
Ugh, thanks for the heads up.

Nov 30, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #3,220 of 6,458
I would like to buy a DAC for my phone and Sennheiser earphone.
I am considering DD ddHiFi TC35 Pro, Tempotec Sonata E44, iBasso DC05 or any other alternative.
Would you please recommend one?
Any help will be appreciated.
I have tested ddHiFi TC35B Pro and iBasso DC05 plus FiiO KA3 and all sound great.
What is your earphone?

Dec 4, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #3,224 of 6,458
I have amassed quite a few of the dongles, and I have to state loud and clear that a simple USB Apple Dongle is near perfect for its $8 and is unbeatable for its price/quality ratio. Amazing, and some Apple pun on audiophiles :)

(The dongle is my only Apple product ever, and my ego should be hurting a bit, spending $500+ on different dongles, amps and DAPs.... but there is no point to deny this reality).

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #3,225 of 6,458
I have amassed quite a few of the dongles, and I have to stare loud and clear that a simple USB Apple Dongle is near perfect for its $8 and is unbeatable for its price/quality ratio. Amazing, and some Apple pun on audiophiles :)

(The dongle is my only Apple product ever, and my ego should be hurting a bit, spending $500+ on different dongles, amps and DAPs.... but there is no point to deny this reality).
I don't own any Apple product anymore, but they know how to proper do Cirrus chips. The MBP was a very good source, I miss that sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back