Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface
Nov 18, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #1,876 of 1,958

Quote:
Did you read my initial post? My concern is about running virtual instruments in a DAW - asio provides the lowest latency for this purpose, as far as I am aware. I plan on using kernel streaming with foobar.

I read it but I didn't really understand what you meant. 

By latency, do you mean the time delay between pressing the key and  hearing the sound?

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #1,877 of 1,958

Quote:
Quote:
Did you read my initial post? My concern is about running virtual instruments in a DAW - asio provides the lowest latency for this purpose, as far as I am aware. I plan on using kernel streaming with foobar.

By latency, do you mean the time delay between pressing the key and  hearing the sound?

Yes, that's exactly it..

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #1,878 of 1,958

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, that's exactly it..

I wonder if ReClock would work?

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #1,879 of 1,958
Has anyone read the the CEO of PS Audio's assement of the Hiface: "I have been looking at the chipset they use and it’s clear that while technically asynchronous it is done in the wrong way and I wouldn’t be happy with the results.  By that I mean the chip they use claims to be asynchronous but they use the internal clocks and it goes through some unacceptable processes that is severe enough to have prevented us from licensing what they are doing.
I know a few manufacturers will be licensing their drivers, but we decided against it because of the implementation.  The good news is that despite all that, it does allow you to get higher bit rates out of the device and converted to S/PDIF.  I am just unconvinced that this solution is better than a high quality sound car"

Not that I would believe anything from this guy after buying a DLII and finding it to be a worst assult on my ears than an ipod,  I just don't understand how he claims Hiface's protocol is the wrong way to do asynchronous,  sounds like maybe he didn't like their licensing fees?"

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #1,880 of 1,958

Quote:

Not that I would believe anything from this guy after buying a DLII and finding it to be a worst assult on my ears than an ipod,  I just don't understand how he claims Hiface's protocol is the wrong way to do asynchronous,  sounds like maybe he didn't like their licensing fees?"

Lol I don't know but that looks like the way you said.

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #1,881 of 1,958

Patu said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

This thing is extremely interesting. I also got the price for the device through e-mail. I also got a link to some Italian forum where they have discussed more about the product. There should be some impressions about the little gadget.

Videohifi Forum

Now where are all our Italian Head-Fi'ers. Some translation maybe?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice writing, It is exactly what I need, Many thanks to your description!

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #1,882 of 1,958

Anyone know how these devices fair on the Mac? Are there issues? I've started a thread here.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/531980/m2tech-mac-driver

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #1,883 of 1,958
Hi guys,

Couple questions.

1. If I get the RCA version, can I swap out the RCA jack for a true 75ohm BNC jack? Meaning are the pins the same?

2. The 78604 transformer that is there before the jack, can that be removed if my DAC has true 75ohm transformer coupled digital inputs?

3. I'm a newbie so I'm trying to learn. If my DAC inputs are transformer coupled (75ohm BNC), is it even required for the Hiface output to be 75ohm? Or do the hiface output and my DAC input both HAVE to be 75ohms on each side?

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #1,884 of 1,958
i ran into some problems with my hiface.
i get short sound distortions when watching avi or mkv files with windows media player classic home cinema 64bit.
now in foobar i would increase buffer size more to get rid of it (as i had to do)
but what to do in WMPCHC ?

Feb 3, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #1,885 of 1,958

Quote:
Hi guys,

Couple questions.

1. If I get the RCA version, can I swap out the RCA jack for a true 75ohm BNC jack? Meaning are the pins the same?

2. The 78604 transformer that is there before the jack, can that be removed if my DAC has true 75ohm transformer coupled digital inputs?

3. I'm a newbie so I'm trying to learn. If my DAC inputs are transformer coupled (75ohm BNC), is it even required for the Hiface output to be 75ohm? Or do the hiface output and my DAC input both HAVE to be 75ohms on each side?

You can't swap, but the BNC vs. RCA is not, IMHO, critical.  The BNC is a locking connection, but unless you have BNC on both ends, I'm not really clear on the value.  The connection does not define the 75 ohm impedance, it's the circuitry on either end of the chain, and the impedance of the cable.  RCA or BNC, the key thing is to get a true 75ohm cable, for which I generally suggest Belkin.  it's not flash, but it's made in USA and they really actually engineer the cables to have correct impedance, so signal transfer is optimized.

2: NO.

3:  See above.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 4, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #1,886 of 1,958
Need some help, my USB came loose off my m2tech... I guess it was maltreatment on my part though I did nothing except leave it in my computer.....
anyone else encounter the same problem and can help me out?

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #1,888 of 1,958
Well, it arrived today an no problems at all.  I installed the driver, launched Pure Music, and it came right up.  It's hard to compare A/B, and I may have "buyers desires" but it does appear to add an additional layer of clarity and snap to the sound.  Listening to "dreams" by Fleetwood Mac, I noticed that the percussion popped forward and was more clearly popping out of the background.  On Shpongle's "Molecular Superstructure," the acoustic bass sounded quite clean and smooth, no fuzz at all. From memory it seems a bit clearner, but it's hard to say. 

I'll play more this weekend, and see if USB/coax switching via Pure Music works smoothly, and if I can get some A/B going where levels are matched and I can switch quickly.

I did try a hot-disonnect and nothing bad happened, for what that is worth.

Lastly, I am VERY happy I can play my 88.2 source material without downsampling!  The Pure Music/HiFace combination does, at least, work smoothly, and even when I mixed sample-rate source material in a playlist, actually handled it graciously.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 16, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #1,890 of 1,958
my hiface dont seem to work 24/192.

using win7/32bit and foobar2k and the dac is NFB 7. the drivers for hiface is 1.03. is this the latest version ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back