Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface
Jul 8, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #1,441 of 1,958
Quote:
Funny, why do I have the feeling the USBface is going to stay alive after all...
biggrin.gif
  Come on, I welcome new products but at least mix in a name without the word "face" in it.  So obvious...

Could be worse like lowFace or faceHi.

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #1,443 of 1,958

Quote:
Or could be called Face-Off (if you remember that terrible movie, you'll get what I mean) 
biggrin.gif

C'mon, Face-Off is one of the better movies of Nicolas Cage. :)

Jul 10, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #1,446 of 1,958
It stands for USB Inter-FACE (to me its a better name than Hi-Face).  

One thing I don't like about it is the DSP chip inside.  It was proven a long time ago that these Asych upsamplers like the Audio Alchemy DTI can significantly reduce jitter if your transport has high jitter.   But if your tansport is low Jitter,  they add Jitter.   They are sort of jitter neutralizers where it can help but sometimes hurt.  I really don't see the reason for that chip in there,  unless it is being used in a completely new way that I am unfamiliar with.  I won't be trading in my modded Hi-Face.

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #1,447 of 1,958
Quote:
Cool, Faudrei, it looks like you've no need for one of these attenuators (but it probably wouldn't do any harm)

Just got back from vacation and a couple of Pasternack 6dB BNC attenuators were waiting for me... so I've warmed up my system (USB cable "vulgaris" → modded hiFace → Oyaide DB-510 → RE-1 → A-GD ACSS sharkwire → Roc → balanced dual starquad recabled HE-5) and listened for a while to "get back into the sound".

Then I've introduced one attenuator at DAC's end of DB-510 and listened...

After that I've added second attenuator at hiFace's end of digital cable and listened again...

Not to start any kind of debate or try to explain why, also knowing it is too soon to draw any (firm) conclusions I would just mention that everybody who owns hiFace (modded or not) should consider one or a pair of similar attenuators and try them with his preferred digital cable. Definitely worth $35 (2x attenuators + worldwide delivery) and, system depending, perhaps good deal more than that.

It isn't "edge" or "sibilance" as JKeny described attenuators in his system - with my gear it's like a set of good polarized glasses on a bright sunny day - without them you still have all the information, but with them nothing glares your view... ambiance and details that were there before are portrayed clearer, perceived with less effort yet they by no mean Benchmark style scream for your attention.

IV movement of Dvořák's 9th raised all the hair on my body like never before...

P.S.
Those neverending SPDIF improvements and tweaks just demonstrate how digital audio absolutely needs new transport protocol/standard.

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #1,448 of 1,958

Quote:
Just got back from vacation and a couple of Pasternack 6dB BNC attenuators were waiting for me... so I've warmed up my system (USB cable "vulgaris" → modded hiFace → Oyaide DB-510 → RE-1 → A-GD ACSS sharkwire → Roc → balanced dual starquad recabled HE-5) and listened for a while to "get back into the sound".

Then I've introduced one attenuator at DAC's end of DB-510 and listened...

After that I've added second attenuator at hiFace's end of digital cable and listened again...

Not to start any kind of debate or try to explain why, also knowing it is too soon to draw any (firm) conclusions I would just mention that everybody who owns hiFace (modded or not) should consider one or a pair of similar attenuators and try them with his preferred digital cable. Definitely worth $35 (2x attenuators + worldwide delivery) and, system depending, perhaps good deal more than that.

It isn't "edge" or "sibilance" as JKeny described attenuators in his system - with my gear it's like a set of good polarized glasses on a bright sunny day - without them you still have all the information, but with them nothing glares your view... ambiance and details that were there before are portrayed clearer, perceived with less effort yet they by no mean Benchmark style scream for your attention.

IV movement of DvoÅ™ák's 9th raised all the hair on my body like never before...

P.S.
Those neverending SPDIF improvements and tweaks just demonstrate how digital audio absolutely needs new transport protocol/standard.

Excellent, Faudrei, when you get a chance & have done some more listening you might like to post what value attenuators you used & the difference, if any, between both attenuators at one end Vs an attenuator at each end of the cable. Is your Hiface BNC & your DAC input BNC?

What you are hearing is a reduction in the jitter induced by reflections created in the cable. These reflections arise because of impedance mismatches that the SPDIF signal encounters on it's journey to your DAC receiver chip.

I believe that this might make cheap cables sound as good as expensive ones! Do you have another cable other than the Oyaide DB510 to experiment with?

I don't totally agree with your last point, although I do think SPDIF is not a great method of transporting digital audio. But I2S also has to be carefully implemented to avoid issues & possibly just as difficult as SPDIF. Really, it comes down to care with implementation.

But these attenuators cure a lot of the badly terminated implementation issues that plague nearly all our digital equipment. The great thing is we can use them with the Hiface & I've been told that certain other pieces of equipment also outputs a high SPDIF signal which means these attenuators could also be used there too ( some Arcam transports & some soundcards).

EDIT: Just a note, I would be happier with the minicircuits attenuators - they have datasheets with them & work out to 2GHz. The Pasternak one you linked to are only good to 1GHz & I didn't find a datasheet for them. Also if the female end has a white ring of plastic insulation inside the ground shield ring then it's a 50 ohm end rather than 75 ohm one. I've seen this on Huber & Suhner 75 ohm attenuators which had this white plastic ring - I emailed H & S about this.

Same price for both! 

Jul 10, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #1,449 of 1,958
@FauDrei
Damn! That's pretty good news.
I wonder if there could be a benefit of using let's say 2 times 5dB attenuators instead of just one. If the job adds there should be no difference in terms of SQ.

@Joseph K
What do you think?

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #1,450 of 1,958
I have finally been able to hook everything up and take the hiFace for a spin!  Here are some of my impressions, in case anyone is interested.

I own the modded version, jkeny was kind enough to help me with it - I have neither the tools nor the time and knowledge so for me it worked out great. 

The black case containing the batteries and the hiFace itself is well put together and looks very professional.  Honestly, I cannot imagine it looking any better without spending a fortune. 

My equipment:
- FLAC files, 16 and 24 bit, 44, 48, 88 and 92 kHz
- WinXP with foobar, KS
- 6 foot regular USB extension cable to the hiFace
- Oyaide DB510 BNC from the hiFace to a Bryston BDA-1 DAC w/BNC
- Odyssey Candela preamp
- dbx 223 XL crossover
- Pass Labs X350.5 amp
- Monitor Audio GR20 speakers
- Velodyne subwoofer

A few things to consider:
- I have not had a chance to see what a stock hiFace sounds like, so I cannot provide a comparison between the modded and unmodded versions. 
- A few days ago I upgraded my amp from the X250.5 to an X350.5
- The Oyaide is the only BNC cable I have

Also, please keep in mind  the system also sounded really good before I got the hiFace, mainly because of  the Bryston BDA-1 DAC which is considered, rightfully so, one of the best out there.

I mainly tested it with songs which I am really familiar with in terms of the instrumentation and voice inflections and modulations.  Tori Amos' "Bells For Her" is one such song.   What I heard first was a richness of the sound that was not as noticeable before, almost like vinyl with a good phono stage.  Nothing was overemphasized, and no trace of sibilance at least to my ears.  I also tested jkeny's "But Beautiful" by NKC and again no trace of sibilance that I could hear.  The bass appeared a bit tighter although I can't yet figure it out exactly;  midrange and highs sounded very clean and precise.  The level of detail has increased, which I absolutely love.  You can literally hear when the singer's lips separate before he/she even says anything and the same level of detail can also be found in the instruments.  Another improvement I noticed and one of my friends also commented on was the soundstage, it seems even more defined than before.  The voice is dead centered between the two speakers with the instruments flanking it. 

So far I logged in about 6 hours of listening.  As I listen more, my opinions may change and I will post accordingly.

So was it worth it you ask?  Absolutely!  Even if the sound had remained the same as before, just the peace of mind that I have a portable device which enables me to get a clean digital signal to my DAC would have been a huge deal...

Thanks to jkeny for a job well done and to all of you who contribute to this thread!!

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #1,451 of 1,958
Thanks Danny, much appreciate your words. It's always great to hear how somebody enjoys your work - even if it is a modification of an existing product & not the design of the product to begin with :)

You probably should have posted this on the other thread but seeing as you have posted here, it's perhaps time to look into the attenuators - I think you will find them a sonic upgrade!

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #1,452 of 1,958
John, could you post a link to that thread?

I am definitely interested in the attenuators, where do I start???

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #1,454 of 1,958

Quote:
John, could you post a link to that thread?

I am definitely interested in the attenuators, where do I start???

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/498151/m2tech-hiface-mods-and-discussions#post_6725332

Quote:
So what recourse is there for those w/ RCAs and not BNC as far as attenuation?

You would need to use a BNC/RCA adaptor & I'm not sure how much this might affect the benefit of the attenuators. I suspect the benefits will still be evident!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back