Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface
Jun 7, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #1,186 of 1,958
I get this too.  The clicking is likely a buffer under-run/over-run issue with the Direct Sound driver.  Marco is aware of it and has promised an adjustable buffer in the next driver, so hopefully this will sort the problem.  

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #1,187 of 1,958
Nice! I was thinking about an adjustable buffer too.

Also, I wonder if it would be possible for the hiFace driver to report how many channels, the bit depth and what sample rate it is receiving from the USB connector? This would help in trying to determine if the computer is truly sending a bit perfect signal.

I asked Marco about this, but I am not sure if it is possible.

Jun 7, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #1,188 of 1,958
Just got mine  hiface  too :)   using  XP sp3 + foobar 1.0.3 +  kernel streaming  at the moments, nothing to complain  except when using  a buffer of 50ms ( lowest possible ) i got really annoying  pauses  everytime i  was browsing through  steam and chrome,  even minimizing  foobar itself produced an annoying click-pause, i got back to 530ms and it seems  fine, is there any reason to  use  a low buffer  length anyway ?  if yes please enlighten me 

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #1,189 of 1,958
In foobar, the recommended buffer size is 1000-2000ms, I personally use 1000ms without any prob, no parasit sounds/clicking etc. I would recommmend to use the buffer in size with no audible problems. This is the purpose of it. Btw, do you hear any sound quality improvements when listening with small buffer? (except the clickings :) )

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #1,190 of 1,958
nahh,  but i could not be bothered doing  A/B comparisons  on such  little things, got it  up to 1000ms  just to be safe,  testing  in  windows 7 - foobar - WASAPI   now,  no audible clicks  at all  when  going back and  forth between tracks, btw  i got  everything  set to 44.1khz - 16bit because i mainly listen   audio cds ripped  in FLAC and some mp3s,  in case  i want  to playback  some 96khz  material  should i first change the sampling rate settings in foobar and  windows  control panel  ?   isn't there any way for  foobar / hiface  to change  the playback sampling rate of my system automatically  just by matching it with  the rate of the  audio file being played ?  

Jun 8, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #1,191 of 1,958

Quote:
  Some with LiIon some without... The big problem with some of the Lithium Ion batteries is they have a ton of low frequency noise below 60Hz. This should be taken into account because most regulators will let most of that pass as they are designed to filter between 50-120Hz to be effective for use with standard power supplies.

Thanks
Gordon

Note that Mr. Gordon isn't testing the new LiFePO4 batteries,  he's a few years behind the times when it comes to batteries I think.

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #1,193 of 1,958

I hope this can be fixed because I really like the hiFace

hehe, it seems to me that M2tech is very good at making statements about killing the competition on their website: http://www.m2tech.biz/public/pdf/White%20Paper%20on%20hiFace.pdf

but we have yet to see this kind of measurements to assess their stellar 2.5ppm clocking(explained at the end of that PDF): http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2010/04/08/reading-sample-rate/

and they really seem to lag behind in the drivers department...on windows many ppl report click/pops/incompatibilities with AMD chipsets/BSOD's....$150 is quite steep for a USB coax output using beta drivers. Their excuse is that they're a small company....well, it sure as hell isn't the customer's fault. If it were cheaper, it'd make perfect sense to buy a product w/ a beta software bundle and hope for better days.

The stx asus soundcard seems to have created a trend, and now similar products start showing up....how long to get a low jitter coax output w/ fully working drivers? let's hope the musiland03 will do just that...as their drivers are perfect from what I've seen.

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #1,195 of 1,958
The hiface is for 3 customer bases:

1.  People who must have 24/192 with accurate timing
2.  People who will mod it by changing the power supply scheme to give a transport
     that competes with $20k units.
3.  Laptop users who want above normal SQ

You fit neither of the above.   There are no driver issues with Win7x64.

In stock form it doesn't sound as good as a decent ASIO PCI card IMO, so move on this isn't the device for you.

Quote:

hehe, it seems to me that M2tech is very good at making statements about killing the competition on their website: http://www.m2tech.biz/public/pdf/White%20Paper%20on%20hiFace.pdf

but we have yet to see this kind of measurements to assess their stellar 2.5ppm clocking(explained at the end of that PDF): http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2010/04/08/reading-sample-rate/

and they really seem to lag behind in the drivers departments...on windows many ppl report click/pops/incompatibilities with AMD chipsets/BSOD's....$150 is quite steep for a USB coax output using beta drivers. Their excuse is that they're a small company....well, it sure as hell isn't the customer's fault. If it were cheaper, it'd make perfect sense to buy a product w/ a beta software bundle and hope for better days.

The stx asus soundcard seems to have created a trend, and now similar products start showing up....how long to get a low jitter coax output w/ fully working drivers? let's hope the musiland03 will do just that...as their drivers are perfect from what I've seen.

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #1,196 of 1,958
So... m2tech is able to become an extremely high end transport just by changing the power supply - but without it... it's not even as good as a soundcard? :O.. I'm thinking about getting this as a transport to another DAC but I really don't want to try to change power supplies unless they come with that option when I buy it...

Quote:
The hiface is for 3 customer bases:

1.  People who must have 24/192 with accurate timing
2.  People who will mod it by changing the power supply scheme to give a transport
     that competes with $20k units.
3.  Laptop users who want above normal SQ

You fit neither of the above.   There are no driver issues with Win7x64.

In stock form it doesn't sound as good as a decent ASIO PCI card IMO, so move on this isn't the device for you.

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #1,197 of 1,958
Jun 8, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #1,198 of 1,958
So... m2tech is able to become an extremely high end transport just by changing the power supply - but without it... it's not even as good as a soundcard? 

bahaha, the self-proclaimed expert surrounding all that forum hype runs a HD650 and yet, he can make pages talking about soundstage depth/width for each new freebie he gets...and the MOT that sells $1K power cables to improve the sound of his reclockers doesn't have the gear to measure jitter. And lot of clueless ppl believe everything they write as if it were God's word. Bottom line is: Don't believe everything you read
wink_face.gif

M2tech make a lot of claims, but don't prove any w/ real world measurements....and the drivers would very much appear to still be at the beta stage. As they say at the very end of that PDF: "trust your ears", they forgot "and whine at us if the drivers don't work as expected"
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back