Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface
May 19, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #1,082 of 1,958
I just got my hiFace and will be able to test it out as soon as my new amp comes in (in a few days).

Regarding the future M2Tech 'EVO', I have a few questions:

1. When you use an external power source, how do you disable the power coming through USB?

2. What are some recommended external clocks?

This is some hardcore audio stuff and my OCD is already telling me to upgrade to the EVO when it comes out (and buy an external clock).... /sigh  hehehe   \m/\m/

May 20, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #1,083 of 1,958

I see no advantage of the EVO to what Jnkey is doing.    An external clock is like a Big Ben (google it).   It would be good if your DAC had a clock out but otherwise I don't see the advantage of the EVO yet.
Quote:
I just got my hiFace and will be able to test it out as soon as my new amp comes in (in a few days).

Regarding the future M2Tech 'EVO', I have a few questions:

1. When you use an external power source, how do you disable the power coming through USB?

2. What are some recommended external clocks?

This is some hardcore audio stuff and my OCD is already telling me to upgrade to the EVO when it comes out (and buy an external clock).... /sigh  hehehe   \m/\m/

May 20, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #1,084 of 1,958

Quote:
I see no advantage of the EVO to what Jnkey is doing.    An external clock is like a Big Ben (google it).   It would be good if your DAC had a clock out but otherwise I don't see the advantage of the EVO yet.

Yes, Regal, I agree (I would, wouldn't I
biggrin.gif
)
I haven't heard an EVO yet but I've talked to Marco about it - the EVO is a Hiface with more flexibility. It still has regulators on board which is crucial! My modified Hiface removes the regulators from the stock Hiface & supplies these jitter sensitive areas with the cleanest power supply, I know. You could ask Marco yourself where my modified Hiface stands - I know the answer he will give you!  I can't post user feedback here but I might be able to give you a link to my website where the latest feedback is posted http://sites.google.com/site/hifacemods/home/reviews

May 20, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #1,085 of 1,958
Cheaper than the EVO too.

May 20, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #1,086 of 1,958
Today is day 6 for my HiFace / ’03 880 evaluation and the thing I notice most today is how well I can adapt to the sound of a new device.  The imbalance I wrote about is barely noticeable and the slight bass boost EQ settings I used initially don’t sound “right” any more…. Apparently, I have become acclimated to the sound and clarity of the HiFace.

The fact that the HiFace plays 3dbs louder than my “Thingee”  has been troubling, because as we know, louder always sounds better.  So I think that for the HD650 part of this evaluation, I’m going to use another rig, with two identical Shuttle computers and a Stello DAC, as a test bed.

The computers are 3.4 Northwoods with a gig of RAM running XP/SP3.

A while ago, I used these computers to compare the Neko DAC to the Stello.  Previous to using the dueling computers, I had posted that the Stello had a ‘smile’ EQ relative to the ‘frown’ EQ of the Neko.  Once I had them volume balanced, (each on a separate but identical computer), with their outputs sent to the two inputs on my GS-1, and I toggled back and forth, I was not able to tell them apart and the “smile” and the “frown” EQs turned out to be nothing more than placebo’d effects.  This was a bummer because I had to write a “Chicken Tastes Better Than Crow” post.

So, now, over the weekend, I’m going to fire up the dueling computers, volume balance through foobar, send each signal to the Stello where I can toggle back and forth to see how much better the HiFace is than my old Blue Circle Thingee. 

This, of course, is not meant as any kind of scientific test, but it will offer a pretty good basis for comparison.

USG

May 24, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #1,090 of 1,958
Does it support ASIO? If so could someone screenshot the control panel please

May 24, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #1,091 of 1,958

Quote:
Today is day 6 for my HiFace / ’03 880 evaluation and the thing I notice most today is how well I can adapt to the sound of a new device.  The imbalance I wrote about is barely noticeable and the slight bass boost EQ settings I used initially don’t sound “right” any more…. Apparently, I have become acclimated to the sound and clarity of the HiFace.

The fact that the HiFace plays 3dbs louder than my “Thingee”  has been troubling, because as we know, louder always sounds better.  So I think that for the HD650 part of this evaluation, I’m going to use another rig, with two identical Shuttle computers and a Stello DAC, as a test bed.

The computers are 3.4 Northwoods with a gig of RAM running XP/SP3.

A while ago, I used these computers to compare the Neko DAC to the Stello.  Previous to using the dueling computers, I had posted that the Stello had a ‘smile’ EQ relative to the ‘frown’ EQ of the Neko.  Once I had them volume balanced, (each on a separate but identical computer), with their outputs sent to the two inputs on my GS-1, and I toggled back and forth, I was not able to tell them apart and the “smile” and the “frown” EQs turned out to be nothing more than placebo’d effects.  This was a bummer because I had to write a “Chicken Tastes Better Than Crow” post.

So, now, over the weekend, I’m going to fire up the dueling computers, volume balance through foobar, send each signal to the Stello where I can toggle back and forth to see how much better the HiFace is than my old Blue Circle Thingee. 

This, of course, is not meant as any kind of scientific test, but it will offer a pretty good basis for comparison.

USG

A comparison in your particular system that is useful to you.

May 27, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #1,094 of 1,958
I thought about going that route before with my Hiface before (if the method even works... I'm afraid I do not know for sure) but I was worried that the weight of the adapter+hiface itself would put too much weight/stress to my coax input of my DAC as well as the one on hiface. 

IMO the unit itself is way too long and heavy to directly plug into anything from the way it is designed right now... it really needs some sort of weight support on the bottom for this because it seems to put too much stress to the USB inputs of most laptop/computers.  I'm currently using a USB female -> male extension to alleviate this problem, and it doesn't seem to have any effect on sound.

May 27, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #1,095 of 1,958
oh it's heavy? I won't mind making an elevation foot for it then
tongue.gif

I think I've seen a pulse transformer in the HiFace, so that will offer the same galvanic isolation as toslink hopefully...Still wondering whether the XP drivers are dead stable and if KS runs in exclusive mode on XP, anyone knows please?

then I might give it a shot, there's a local site selling it for $150 shipped and they have a 1 week return policy anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back