Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface
Jan 20, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #467 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh god that's not what I wanted to hear
frown.gif

The culprit is most likely the motherboard, and now seeing that we have the exact same model, chances are it's likely one of the problem. I should email Marco about this.

Is there any other that is using this model of motherboard with hiFace??
frown.gif

EDIT: or rather, anyone who is using the hiface with a computer whose motherboard south bridge is consist of either of these three model SB600, SB700 or SB750.

I've had freeze problems with a laptop HP 6715b(SB600) and GA-MA78GM-US2H(SB700). Working great with my old Shuttle(P4 HT). I'm using Windows XP.

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #468 of 1,958
I'm really liking what I'm reading about the USB interface. Can anyone recommend a 24/192 capable DAC that will take full advantage of the Hiface's sonic qualities. Under $500 would be great, but perhaps not possible. I've also been reading about the DacMagic and V-Dac, both of which could handle the coax output from the Hiface, but I believe that both are limited to 24/96 via coax.

Jan 21, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #469 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by crowlie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had freeze problems with a laptop HP 6715b(SB600) and GA-MA78GM-US2H(SB700). Working great with my old Shuttle(P4 HT). I'm using Windows XP.

The problem seems pretty clear to me... freezing issues on motherboards with AMD chipsets. How the hell could this get past testing though? Probably 1 out of 6 of their customers has an AMD mobo based on market share alone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clar2391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really liking what I'm reading about the USB interface. Can anyone recommend a 24/192 capable DAC that will take full advantage of the Hiface's sonic qualities. Under $500 would be great, but perhaps not possible. I've also been reading about the DacMagic and V-Dac, both of which could handle the coax output from the Hiface, but I believe that both are limited to 24/96 via coax.

DAC-19DSP? It "only" does 96/24 like the others but is far better. Why do you even need 24/192, do you actually have tracks recorded at 192kHz?

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #470 of 1,958
Quote:

I have also had freeze problems with a Sony Vaio FW laptop running Vista 64. I don't think it has an AMD mothrboard.
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #471 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFGR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
helllo i'm interested in getting this for dac19mk3, i already use x-fi titanium via toslink as a transport since it's indespensible for my gaming needs

1) any shops for us europeans ? any bargains at the moment ?

2) how can i create a shortfcut for changing the default playback device in windows XP from x-fi to "USB DAC"(or whatever it's called in the device manager ) with the press of a button ?

3) any news for a windows 7 driver ?

4) will i need ASIO4ALL or is this card asio compatible ? what about kernel streaming in foobar ? will i have to experiment with the buffer length ? will i be forced to use version 0.8.3 ?

5) I'm thinking of getting a belden 1694A since the stock coaxial cable is known to be bad, any other options in the 100$ range ?

I'm particularly interested in question 3. Has anyone heard anything about possible release dates for the windows 7 wasapi driver?

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #472 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did you think of the Oyaide DB-510? I have heard that its build quality is very good but nothing in terms of SQ.
I'm considering getting it but I'd like to see some feedback on the cable first.

Oyaide DB-510 Digital Interconnect | KOSMIC.us

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a great cable, at a great price.
I have it as well but have not done extensive testing yet.
Joe Pittman at Kosmic.us provides first class service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StateRadioFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Stereovox VX-2 (discontinued) or the new VX-Ultra are very good coax cables with BNC termination

The Oyaide DB-510, which was pointed me by rosgr63 is truly an excellent cable. It is the most "analog sounding" digital cable I have listened to. What I mean by "analog sounding" is that it is free from grain and mid treble harshness unlike some other high end cables. It is very detailed and very natural sounding.
The Belden cable is also very smooth sounding but mainly because it glosses over details and smooths transients.
The Stereovox XV2 is a lot more detailed an open sounding than Belden (and lesser cables) but it had a slight metallic timber and it was a little too thin sounding for my system. I am sure that there are tube systems that could benefit from the extra clarity brought by the Stereovox XV2.

Jan 21, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #473 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Oyaide DB-510, which was pointed me by rosgr63 is truly an excellent cable. It is the most "analog sounding" digital cable I have listened to. What I mean by "analog sounding" is that it is free from grain and mid treble harshness unlike some other high end cables. It is very detailed and very natural sounding.
The Belden cable is also very smooth sounding but mainly because it glosses over details and smooths transients.
The Stereovox XV2 is a lot more detailed an open sounding than Belden (and lesser cables) but it had a slight metallic timber and it was a little too thin sounding for my system. I am sure that there are tube systems that could benefit from the extra clarity brought by the Stereovox XV2.

Thanks for the info, please keep us updated.

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #475 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@slim.a

I am really beginning to dislike you
smily_headphones1.gif
well actually my it's my wallet

Do you want to sell that Stereovox ?

You are 2nd in line!

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #476 of 1,958
If your hiFace freezes you can try this:
  • Download DevCon command-line utility.
  • Extract devcon.exe from downloaded self-extracting archive to a directory of your choice.
  • In the same directory create a batch file containing:
    Code:

Code:
    [left]devcon disable "USB\VID_04B4&PID_930B*" devcon enable "USB\VID_04B4&PID_930B*"[/left]
...and each time hiFace freezes just run the batch file from step 3.

Jan 21, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #477 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I currently am using the BJC 1694 RCA coaxial cable (15Ft) and I'm considering upgrading to something significantly better.
Putting the price aside, which would you recommend between the Oyaide DB-510 and the Stereovox XV2?

Jan 21, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #478 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently am using the BJC 1694 RCA coaxial cable and I'm considering upgrading to something significantly better.
Putting the price aside, which would you recommend between the Oyaide DB-510 and the Stereovox XV2?

Putting the price aside, I would recommend the Oyaide DB-510.

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #479 of 1,958
Quote:

That further confirms my speculation. I've already contacted Marco about this and provided him with information about the problem. Marco reply that he already passed the information to his programmer and they'll see what they can do. Fingers crossed
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem seems pretty clear to me... freezing issues on motherboards with AMD chipsets. How the hell could this get past testing though? Probably 1 out of 6 of their customers has an AMD mobo based on market share alone.

The problem will only occur with devices that uses asynchronous transmission like the hiFace. Most device on the market doesnt use this type of topology so a lot of people does not have complain with the SB700 family. AMD realizes this problem but they claim that there are no workarounds for it
angry_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by FauDrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your hiFace freezes you can try this:
  • Download DevCon command-line utility.
  • Extract devcon.exe from downloaded self-extracting archive to a directory of your choice.
  • In the same directory create a batch file containing:
    Code:

Code:
    [left]devcon disable "USB\VID_04B4&PID_930B*" devcon enable "USB\VID_04B4&PID_930B*"[/left]
...and each time hiFace freezes just run the batch file from step 3.

From the command I'm assuming it just disconnect and reconnect the device right?? Unfortunately in our case when the hiFace freezes, it takes the computer together with it.
redface.gif

EDIT: Based on my guess, currently the only way to avoid this problem is by using another USB 2.0 PCI/PCIe card. However do note that I have not tested it personally and I cannot guarantee that it'll work. :O

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #480 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the command I'm assuming it just disconnect and reconnect the device right?? Unfortunately in our case when the hiFace freezes, it takes the computer together with it.
redface.gif

Yes it disables and re-enables hiFace. This approach solved a couple of freeze-ups after standby/resume on my laptop.

If computer freezes completely you can try physically disconnecting hiFace, but I suppose if it is low level HW related error - additional USB card would be the best solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back