Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface
Jan 16, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #453 of 1,958
Jan 16, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #455 of 1,958
hiFace w/ BNC + shipping to Canada via FedEX + crazy customs brokerage fees = >200$
frown.gif

Anyhow, the good about this thing is the no need for a USB cable. I wish more converters could bypass the need for the investement for an expansive high quality USB cable in order to obtain good SQ.

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #457 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by GWorlDofSPACE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I am using my comp true essence stx as digital source has someone compared this beautiful device whit it. If its better I would be very interested.

Yes I have run STX as coaxial digital source

I found M2tech Hiface > musiland monitor 02us > Xonar essence ST > xonar essence stx as digital output from computer

The musiland monitor 02us and st significantly outperformed the STX and the Hiface gives more detail again. The difference from the STX to musiland monitor 02us or ST was much larger though.

Hope this helps

Macrog

P.S. I never got a convincing image out of the STX even when run as a coaxial digital output only.

Jan 16, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #459 of 1,958
only cost me aboubt 170cdn for my hiface from tweekgeek. no customs / duties via fedex. got here in a week

Jan 20, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #460 of 1,958
helllo i'm interested in getting this for dac19mk3, i already use x-fi titanium via toslink as a transport since it's indespensible for my gaming needs

1) any shops for us europeans ? any bargains at the moment ?

2) how can i create a shortfcut for changing the default playback device in windows XP from x-fi to "USB DAC"(or whatever it's called in the device manager ) with the press of a button ?

3) any news for a windows 7 driver ?

4) will i need ASIO4ALL or is this card asio compatible ? what about kernel streaming in foobar ? will i have to experiment with the buffer length ? will i be forced to use version 0.8.3 ?

5) I'm thinking of getting a belden 1694A since the stock coaxial cable is known to be bad, any other options in the 100$ range ?

Jan 20, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #461 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFGR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
helllo i'm interested in getting this for dac19mk3, i already use x-fi titanium via toslink as a transport since it's indespensible for my gaming needs

2) how can i create a shortfcut for changing the default playback device in windows XP from x-fi to "USB DAC"(or whatever it's called in the device manager ) with the press of a button ?

3) any news for a windows 7 driver ?

4) will i need ASIO4ALL or is this card asio compatible ? what about kernel streaming in foobar ? will i have to experiment with the buffer length ? will i be forced to use version 0.8.3 ?

5) I'm thinking of getting a belden 1694A since the stock coaxial cable is known to be bad, any other options in the 100$ range ?

2 & 4) I am not aware of any shortcut to do what you are asking for. However, you can set your X-fi as your primary output and Select Kernel Streaming for the Hiface in Foobar. By doing so, you would be able to play games/watch movies with your X-FI and listen to music with foobar. You will still need to switch manually the digital inputs in your dac19mk3.

You can use the official mode which is Kernel Streaming with foobar 0.8.3 or the new foobar v1.0 for example. The best sound I got in my set-up was using KS with foobar v1.0.
if you wish to use ASIO4ALL, it worked for me in foobar, MediaMonkey and cPlay.
FYI, I have windows xp media center, so I don't know how it works in Vista/Seven.

5) The Belden 1694A is a very good cable for the money. It is better than the similarily priced Canare coaxial cable for example.
However, in comparison to higher end cables (in the same configuration as yours : Hiface -> dac19mk3), I found out it lacked resolution and imaging precision. I have tried recently 4 different high end cables : Stereovox XV2 (sold a few weeks ago), Actinote (borrowed), Hifi Cables Sobek, Oyaide DB-510 (recently acquired). While each of those cables has different strengths, they all outperformed the Belden cable by a wide margin. Those cables cost between 130€ (Sobek) and 400€ (Actinote). But there seems to be a lot of interesting cables at around $100 that I haven't tried such as the Moon Audio Blue Dragon or the DH-Labs 75. (see here)

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #462 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFGR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As stated numerous times in this thread, you can buy direct from M2Tech.
wink.gif

An added benefit is that they're based in EU (Italy) so you don't have to worry about customs.

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #463 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried recently 4 different high end cables : Stereovox XV2 (sold a few weeks ago), Actinote (borrowed), Hifi Cables Sobek, Oyaide DB-510 (recently acquired). While each of those cables has different strengths, they all outperformed the Belden cable by a wide margin. Those cables cost between 130€ (Sobek) and 400€ (Actinote). But there seems to be a lot of interesting cables at around $100 that I haven't tried such as the Moon Audio Blue Dragon or the DH-Labs 75. (see here)

What did you think of the Oyaide DB-510? I have heard that its build quality is very good but nothing in terms of SQ.
I'm considering getting it but I'd like to see some feedback on the cable first.

http://www.kosmic.us/oyaide-db-510.html

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #464 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did you think of the Oyaide DB-510? I have heard that its build quality is very good but nothing in terms of SQ.
I'm considering getting it but I'd like to see some feedback on the cable first.

Oyaide DB-510 Digital Interconnect | KOSMIC.us

It's a great cable, at a great price.
I have it as well but have not done extensive testing yet.
Joe Pittman at Kosmic.us provides first class service.

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #465 of 1,958
Which BNC cable are you using with the HiFace and which would you recommend if you are not using the Oyaide DB-510?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back