Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface
Jun 17, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #1,336 of 1,958
Jun 17, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #1,337 of 1,958

Quote:
I don't see how this adapter can work?
The plugs on the hiFace and the DAc are female. Therefore, you need a Male to male adapter.

Yes, that is what I thought...male to male adapter that goes between the two female jacks. 
The question is from a design standpoint, is it better to have an extended USB cable or an extended S/Pdif cable.
Are you using a USB extension or just sitting the hiface between a DAC and laptop? -not sure if that would work but possible.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #1,338 of 1,958

Quote:
Yes, that is what I thought...male to male adapter that goes between the two female jacks. 
The question is from a design standpoint, is it better to have an extended USB cable or an extended S/Pdif cable.
Are you using a USB extension or just sitting the hiface between a DAC and laptop? -not sure if that would work but possible.

That's right male pin goes into female hole.
ksc75smile.gif

From the design standpoint I don't know. Marco favors S/PDIF cables over USB ones apparently but he hasn't explained to me why. I still think that we should try using a short USB cable like jkeny's and have some sort of Male BNC to Male BNC adapter or a Male BNC plug mounted on the PCB of the hiface to be hooked directly to the DAC.

I sold my hiFace awhile ago and I'm waiting impatiently for jkeny to release some info on his latest mod on the hiface. When that is done, I will order one from him with his USB cable. My setup deperatly needs a good source.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #1,339 of 1,958

Quote:
That's right male pin goes into female hole.
ksc75smile.gif

From the design standpoint I don't know. Marco favors S/PDIF cables over USB ones apparently but he hasn't explained to me why. I still think that we should try using a short USB cable like jkeny's and have some sort of Male BNC to Male BNC adapter or a Male BNC plug mounted on the PCB of the hiface to be hooked directly to the DAC.

I sold my hiFace awhile ago and I'm waiting impatiently for jkeny to release some info on his latest mod on the hiface. When that is done, I will order one from him with his USB cable. My setup deperatly needs a good source.

Yes, I understand that but I am following you guys who seem to be a bit mixed up
cool.gif

Anyway, my hiFace is Coax unless I decide to mod that also...  The idea of putting the hiface right on the DAC is simple enough but as I said I am wondering, if that is the way to go.
I would think it would be better to extend the S/Pdif instead of the USB but that is just guess work.  I am rebuilding the entire system from the USB out to the S/Pdif in...
Hopefully things will work out as I want.  Why not do the mods yourself?  That new EVO looks like it may be a great modding platform but I have not tried it so I am unsure how it compares to the HiFace

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #1,340 of 1,958
http://www.showmecables.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=1054&gclid=CNLx88CGp6ICFRRM5QodlmbxSw

They sell male/male too,  I ordered both,  will let you know which one works.

With stock hiface it would be better to have a no USB cable,  but as we go to powering it mostly by battery then it makes sense to eliminate the digital cable,   because the hiface is the master the computer the slave,  its as close as you can get to slaving the transport to the DAC . .   We can experiment and see which is best..

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #1,341 of 1,958

Quote:
I would think it would be better to extend the S/Pdif instead of the USB but that is just guess work.  I am rebuilding the entire system from the USB out to the S/Pdif in...
Hopefully things will work out as I want.  Why not do the mods yourself?  That new EVO looks like it may be a great modding platform but I have not tried it so I am unsure how it compares to the HiFace

S/PDIF cables are more vulnerable to SQ degradation du to signal reflections and USB cables don't hav ethat problem apparently. therefore it would be more convenient SQ wise and money wise to use a USB cable instead of an S/PDIF one.
I now that jkeny is working on something to minimize the vulnerability of S/PDIF signals with the hiFace. he share with us very soon his ideas.

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #1,342 of 1,958

Quote:
S/PDIF cables are more vulnerable to SQ degradation du to signal reflections and USB cables don't hav ethat problem apparently. therefore it would be more convenient SQ wise and money wise to use a USB cable instead of an S/PDIF one.
I now that jkeny is working on something to minimize the vulnerability of S/PDIF signals with the hiFace. he share with us very soon his ideas.

I understand all that but I bet people would suggest the opposite also.  Saying that a long USB cable could influence the signal...I guess testing would answer the question.

What do you think of the EVO?

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #1,343 of 1,958

Quote:
http://www.showmecables.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=1054&gclid=CNLx88CGp6ICFRRM5QodlmbxSw

With stock hiface it would be better to have a no USB cable,  but as we go to powering it mostly by battery then it makes sense to eliminate the digital cable,   because the hiface is the master the computer the slave,  its as close as you can get to slaving the transport to the DAC . .   We can experiment and see which is best..

I have seen people that use adapters on their DAC's to go from S/Pdif to BNC. I have read that some sugegst that BNC cable is the best way to go but I don't think you would get the same benefits using the adapters. 
I think I might look for a male to male RCA adapter similar to what you posted but for Coax based HiFace,  I will see if I can find one.

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #1,344 of 1,958

Quote:
I agree,  and people should complain that he is pitching his products without being listed as a member of the trade.

Was that comment really necessary? 

Quote:

And he should want to share it with us because.....................?

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #1,346 of 1,958
/img/forum/go_quote.gif Absolutely read the FAQ:

I am a manufacturer. Is there anything special for me?
Our site's focus is user generated content, so we ask that you do not review your own products. However, we do think it's important to get manufacturers in the conversation. As such, we've got a program to help you engage your potential customers, get feedback from key influencers, build brand loyalty, and even drive traffic to your website and consequently sales.  For more details on the Industry Insiders program, email advertise@head-fi.org.  

Quote:
Was that comment really necessary? 

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #1,347 of 1,958

Quote:

I found the adapter but I am not sure about the quality.  If I want it between one of my DAC's and the Hiface I was it to be high quality.  Perhaps it may be a better idea to just build one.
Did you ever notice any differences between COaxial cable and BNC for S/Pdif usage?

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #1,348 of 1,958

Quote:

I found the adapter but I am not sure about the quality.  If I want it between one of my DAC's and the Hiface I was it to be high quality.  Perhaps it may be a better idea to just build one.
Did you ever notice any differences between COaxial cable and BNC for S/Pdif usage?

The connector looks fine to me its not irridium plated and cryo-treated but I don't think the electrons will care. You could have it gold plated or you could always change the BNC on your dac so the Hiface plugs in directly without an adapter if you're concerned.

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #1,349 of 1,958

Quote:
The connector looks fine to me its not irridium plated and cryo-treated but I don't think the electrons will care. You could have it gold plated or you could always change the BNC on your dac so the Hiface plugs in directly without an adapter if you're concerned.

No, no I meant I found a RCA to RCA adapter to use with the Hiface but I think it looks a bit cheap so I am considering just building one.
DId you take any macro shots yet?

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #1,350 of 1,958
I think someone is trolling here... perhaps unintentionally, but still trolling.

All those questions are, repeatedly, answered before (BNC vs. RCA, USB cable vs. SPDIF cable, which hiFace PSes are most important, etc.). It takes just going some pages back and/or searching through this thread.

If you repeatedly fail to ask/give something informative/constructive about the topic that has not been posted already, please avoid "submit" button - this is not your stream of consciousness thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back