Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface
Jun 17, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #1,321 of 1,958
See below,  this is how you power the clocks with the LiFePO4 battery.   To remove the inductor cover it in flux and heat up the metal ends left to right back and forth till it pries off.   Clean up the pads with flux and solder wick,  use a magnifying glass to make sure there is no solder bridge between the left and right pads. 
Connect the positive terminal of the battery to the RIGHT pad.  Soon I will have part numbers for a case that fits the hiface and battery holders perfectly,  have a wedding to go to first.  Will figure out the CPLD as well,  but below will get you 90% there.

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #1,322 of 1,958
Battery Holders from Digikey,  Part # BK-18650-PC2-ND,  they have solder tabs. Buy two.  I'm 90% sure this is the best case:SR113B-ND but don't order till I verify fitment next week.

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #1,324 of 1,958
@Regal,

Can you post the link that you got 2 LiFePO4 18650 batteries with a charger for 20$?  I"m tempted to try them. 

Jun 17, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #1,325 of 1,958
Hi Regal, nice work, and thanks for the photos.  A suggestion: Ideally the negative of the battery should be connected as close as possible to it's load, the clock, otherwise the clock is seeing any noise on the earth between it and the battery connection.  

Jun 17, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #1,326 of 1,958

Quote:
Hi Regal, nice work, and thanks for the photos.  A suggestion: Ideally the negative of the battery should be connected as close as possible to it's load, the clock, otherwise the clock is seeing any noise on the earth between it and the battery connection.  

this is closer to a star ground IMO.  But to each is own.  We all have our ears to expirement with and decide whats best.

Quote:
@Regal,

Can you post the link that you got 2 LiFePO4 18650 batteries with a charger for 20$?  I"m tempted to try them. 

http://www.szwholesale.com/18650-32vrechargeable-battery1865032v-p-1139.html     - LiFePO4 Batteries

http://www.szwholesale.com/universal-charger-18650-16340-lion-nimh-nicd-battery-p-3241.html     -Charger

I think the total was around $20 shipped to the USA,  took about a week.  Again IMO a LiFePO4 battery is an LiFePO4 battery for our purposes.

Jun 17, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #1,327 of 1,958
Sure.  If you are interested, start grounding isn't used in digital electronics - ground planes are.  Each approach has its strengths and weaknesses, but in this application, I'd strongly recommend anyone wanting to try this to connect the battery as close as possible to the clock.  It may not make much difference when it comes to listening, but technically it's the correct method.

Quote:
this is closer to a star ground IMO.  But to each is own.  We all have our ears to expirement with and decide whats best.

Jun 17, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #1,328 of 1,958

When I case it up I'll move it but if it degrades the sounds I'm hunting you down :)  Appreciate any and all feedback commentary this is truly a unique device and the SQ improvement from the 1 hr I put into was just plain incredible. With a well mastered CD there is no need for vinyl with this baby.

One positive is you don't need a switch to keep the clocks from draining the battery when not in use,  just pull the USB cord,  the clocks no longer pull any juice.

You do need a male-femal USB cord to do this mod.   I made the mistake of ordering a 3M cord instead of 3ft!,  but the sound is still good.  Maybe keeping this thing as far from the PC as possible is good.   The case + Batteries will be light enough that a BNC femal-femal adapter will support the whole thing at the back of the DAC negating the need for an expensive digital cable!

Quote:
Sure.  If you are interested, start grounding isn't used in digital electronics - ground planes are.  Each approach has its strengths and weaknesses, but in this application, I'd strongly recommend anyone wanting to try this to connect the battery as close as possible to the clock.  It may not make much difference when it comes to listening, but technically it's the correct method.

Jun 17, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #1,329 of 1,958

Quote:
  The case + Batteries will be light enough that a BNC femal-femal adapter will support the whole thing at the back of the DAC negating the need for an expensive digital cable!

I think that's a very good idea to get rid of the S/PDIF cable. What kind of adapter will you be using? The only one I found that could fit the hiface was a Male BNC to Male BNC adapter on ebay. I don't think that a female one will fit.
I,d like to know if you find any SQ improvement with your adapter compared to a pricey S/PDIF cable like the Oyaide DB-510.

Jun 17, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #1,330 of 1,958
http://www.showmecables.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=1053

Quote:
I think that's a very good idea to get rid of the S/PDIF cable. What kind of adapter will you be using? The only one I found that could fit the hiface was a Male BNC to Male BNC adapter on ebay. I don't think that a female one will fit.
I,d like to know if you find any SQ improvement with your adapter compared to a pricey S/PDIF cable like the Oyaide DB-510.

Jun 17, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #1,331 of 1,958

Quote:

I won't be doing any mods other than my own hiface,  not here to make a buck. But I will share my experiences the best I can with my digital camera.  Any tips on taking closeup macro pic's would be appreciated.

You guys really pissed jkeny off,  understand that he is breaking every rule in the book posting in here without paying "member of the trade" dues.  But I'm sure his business isn't big enough to justify his dues.  He is merely providing a service to those who are soldering inept,  thats all he is doing. 

If he wants to play it up bigger than that this, you should see "member of the trade" by his avatar.  Understand?

The guy that said he invented the Hiface :  I really hope you were being sarcastic.

Do you have a tripod?  Works great for Macro shots.

I think he did his share of pissing people off also.  That is great that he is helping  out but that gives him no right to come across as he did.
I didn't actually mean that HE invented the hiface,....read it again. I meant, I wouldn't care IF he invented the unit, that still gives him no right to act rudely to others.  That is not to say he did....

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #1,332 of 1,958

Quote:

So your using a male to male BNC adapter and connecting the Hiface to the DAC itself?

I guess you are just using a USB extension cable then?

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #1,334 of 1,958

Quote:

Do you have a tripod?  Works great for Macro shots.

I think he did his share of pissing people off also.  That is great that he is helping  out but that gives him no right to come across as he did.
I didn't actually mean that HE invented the hiface,....read it again. I meant, I wouldn't care IF he invented the unit, that still gives him no right to act rudely to others.  That is not to say he did....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back