Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface
Oct 5, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #1,817 of 1,958

Quote:
I tried both and didn't see much of a difference. Real Cable one is gold plated (don't know to how much carat though), HQ one is 24K gold plated. Both seem to use Teflon as dielectric, the latter PTFE as far as I know, and I don't know if they're 75 ohms or not unfortunately. Nothing mentionned on the websites.
Each was sounding more or less as good as my Oyaide DR-510 cable for me, with less emphasized treble and smoother sound so I sold the Oyaide as these cost $5 while the Oyaide was $250. It helped to upgrade my DAC.

Just noticed this.....   good information Pacha.
dt880smile.png
    I didn't know a short RCA audio coupler would sound as good as an expensive digital cable.  Can you hear a difference between the two you have?

USG

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #1,818 of 1,958
Well, maybe the shorter the path, the better.
I didn't make long time comparisons but the adapter setup wasn't sounding obviously bad like differences I could have easily spotted between cables at slim.a's place when I tried some.
I just found less treble emphasis with no apparent detail loss, and for $5 vs $250 the choice to make some money selling the Oyaide to buy a better DAC made sense to me.

As I said before about the two adapters I tried both and didn't see much of a difference yet.

You can try these adapters (possibly not the cheap ones one could usually find) if you are interested to compare them to your digital cable and see how it performs.

Oct 5, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #1,822 of 1,958

Quote:
god forbid, the longer and the most expensive your coax the better it'll sound...I read it somewhere.

Yea I read that too...just so unfamiliar members don't understand your tongue-in-cheek comment, that statement is absolute baloney. The best cable is none at all, so it should be as short as possible.

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #1,824 of 1,958
So in the end, what wins between long path with less reflections but with more impurities on the path and any other crap that a long path could bring to negatively impact the sound, and inversely in a short path?

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #1,825 of 1,958

Quote:
So in the end, what wins between long path with less reflections but with more impurities on the path and any other crap that a long path could bring to negatively impact the sound, and inversely in a short path?

Its an empirical science,  in other words buy a scope and test what works best for your system.

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #1,826 of 1,958
I know how to use an oscilloscope but I'm not an electronic engineer so I won't know what to do exactly about this problem discussed nor how to interpret the results.
I do understand that the results will depend on the system and that there is probably no best average ratio to advise for everyone.

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #1,829 of 1,958

Quote:
Jocko also has an oscilloscope and sees that reflections are smaller with a longer cable, 

But has anyone done any empirical listening tests to show what magnitude of said reflections are (or are not) audible as distortion, since to date nobody has managed to provide any good *listening* data that digital cables make any audible differences I would be inclined to lose no sleep over cable length, jitter and so on until I had **much** better empirical evidence of audible differences...sure the jitter/reflections are measurable and different but so is distortion such as THD/IMD that is frequently far from humanly audible... this all looks a bit like angels on pinheads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back