Upgrading! Good, cheap (30 USD or lower), portable, and mid-centric headphones!
Sep 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

FCO2013

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all!

So I've been thinking of upgrading my current portable set of cans to something nicer, but still not too expensive, so I'm looking for some suggestions. I currently use my Sony MDR ZX-100 headphones for my on the go, throw 'em in a bag type headphones. I like them because they aren't huge, they're light and small, and they fold up nicely. But I've gotten dissatisfied with their sound as of late. So upgrade time!

Things of note:

-Closed Back is definitely a priority. Semi-open is okay (as I listen to my music at a pretty low volume most of the time), but not preferred.

-Relatively small/compact, and be able to fold up either DJ style (like the M50s for example) or completely.

-Comfort isn't a high priority but it doesn't hurt if it's really comfy. Over Ear is preferred but I can deal with On Ear as long as the clamping force isn't skull crushing.

-Genres I listen to are alternative rock, classical, hiphop, classic rock, jazz. Some artists I listen to are Gorrilaz, Radiohead (mainly what I listen to, alongside Classical and jazz), John Coltrane, The Killers, Pink Floyd, John Lennon. Mainly listen to Radiohead, Gorrilaz, classical and Jazz.

-I like a relatively clean sound signature you could say. I like bass that is there, but not overwhelming. I also like slightly emphasized mid range, that doesn't result in the treble and bass becoming recessed. I like my treble forward but not too bright like my HD668Bs.

-Has to be cheap! I don't want to spend a ton since these are my take around with me cans so I won't suffer a huge loss if they break or get stolen. Budget 30  USD and under.

-No earphones or IEMs please. Don't like them.

-I have an amp, but I'd like to not have to use it for these.

I did some browsing too and I found one that might work, but I'd like to get some input too:

Monoprice 8323: Attractive price, folds up nicely, and has pretty nice sound.

Thank you all in advance!

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Panasonic RP-HTX7 doesn't fold, but has a great retro look.

Koss PortaPros. Open back, but very portable with a lifetime no-questions warranty.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I can't go with either of those. The Panasonics look to big and bulky, and they don't fold. The folding  characteristic is really a must for me.

Can't go with the PortaPros either, over my budget and it's open, which is a not go. Very minimum is a semi-open can, These are going to be used in a pretty quite environment so I can't have music leaking. Semi-Open is okay for me since I don't listen to my music loudly, and I've noticed that it doesn't start to leak it until is pretty loud.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 6
For an on the cheap mod for the ZX100's. Carefully peel away the felt without as little damage as possible.Cut a hole in the center of the felt a tad smaller than how big the driver is visible through the plastic baffle. Now reglue the felt back on making sure to go all the way around the outside of the driver and edge of felt. This helped the clarity quite a bit. Some say remove the felt all together-don't. It slows down the air leaving the enclosure(there are slots on the baffle face) and will hurt the bass if it's not there at all. 

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #5 of 6
For an on the cheap mod for the ZX100's. Carefully peel away the felt without as little damage as possible.Cut a hole in the center of the felt a tad smaller than how big the driver is visible through the plastic baffle. Now reglue the felt back on making sure to go all the way around the outside of the driver and edge of felt. This helped the clarity quite a bit. Some say remove the felt all together-don't. It slows down the air leaving the enclosure(there are slots on the baffle face) and will hurt the bass if it's not there at all. 

Okay, cool, I will look into that. Thank you! I have slightly modded my ZX100s already but I have not tried this.

Anyone else have suggestions? Anyone with first hand experience with the Monoprices care to give their opinion on how it would fare with my preferred genres? Or any other suggestions I should look into?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back