Upgrading from HD600 to ...?
Dec 2, 2010 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mad Dude

500+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-fiers,

I managed to stay away from Head-Fi for almost 4 months! Unfortunately my upgraditis is getting worse and I feel the urgent need to waste spend more money on headphones... again.

For the time being I'm quite happy with the Sennheiser my HD600, which is plugged into an Audio-gd Roc SA. I really like the HD600's tonality, but I often wish I had a headphone with higher resolution and smoother/more extended highs. Clearer bass would be nice too.

Now since the Roc SA has been designed with Orthos in mind (ridiculous power output), I was considering the LCD-2 and the HE5-LE. Another option would be the Beyer T1.

Now, which headphone would you suggest I should try? Should I consider something completely different? Should I run away as fast I can and never come back to Head-Fi?
I'm open for suggestions.

I'm planning to upgrade my source as well by the way, and get a serious CD or SACD player, but first I have to want to get a new headphone.

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 13
Do you have to though. If you're happy with the hd600, what's the problem. Usually I only get new 'phones when they break or when serve a new purpose that I need, such as (travelling needs, 'phone X that work better with certain genres than 'phone Y, etc). I'm happy with what I have.

Sorry, but I'm just trying to save you I guess. But then again, this is Head fi....

How about HD800?

Dec 2, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
Do you have to though. If you're happy with the hd600, what's the problem. Usually I only get new 'phones when they break or when serve a new purpose that I need, such as (travelling needs, 'phone X that work better with certain genres than 'phone Y, etc). I'm happy with what I have.

Of course I have to! I mean, what purpose would there be in life if not to get better (and more expensive) audio gear?
...Just kidding.

But seriously - I like the HD600, sure, but I want more resolution, better highs, clearer bass et cetera. Additionally, I am hoping to find a headphone that works well with any kind of music, not just a few. The HD600 works with a rather vide variety of music, but not with fast-paced genres such as rock or metal... I have a RS1 for this purpose, but I'd love to have only one phone that can do everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzraider 
Sorry, but I'm just trying to save you I guess. But then again, this is Head fi....

Your effort is much appreciated. But I'm afraid its much too late for that, he he.

Quote:
blitzraider said:

How about HD800?

I have not yet had the chance to listen to the HD800, but from what I've been reading here on Head-Fi I highly doubt that it would fit my preferences. It is often described as a "better K701" with enormous detail, clarity and sounstage - and very unforgiving on poor recordings. Not what I am looking for.

Quote:
wuwhere said:
I have an HD600. My HE6 is an upgrade over it.

I didn't realise that the HE6 is already released, but I guess it would be another option then - it comes with a $250 higher price tag than the LCD2 though, and $500 more than the HE5LE.

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
isn't the HE6 currently $999 due to the intro pricing promotion? so basically the same as the LCD2

You are right, I must have overlooked this...

And there is free shipping. This makes the HE-6 even more "affordable" than the LCD2. So tempting!

One major concern I have with the LCD-2 is wearing comfort. That cable looks like something you could use to tow a ship across the atlantic...

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #9 of 13
... Dammit. Perhaps I will regret this, but I just placed an order for the HE-6
smily_headphones1.gif

Better wearing comfort, a more flexible cable and a 3-year-warranty are some serious advantages over the LCD-2 IMO.

No I'm going to wait and pray that my gear isn't completely inadequate to drive them...

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 13
I transitioned from mostly listening to the HD-600 to a HD-800. I found it an excellent upgrade. The LCD2 is an excellent headphone. I've thought about buying one, but I don't know if it'd get much headtime compared to the HD-800. I worry about liking it well enough, but having it in the box while I listen to the HD-800. I generally liked the T1, as well. The bass is slightly too much for me. I would not mind having one around, but that's an awful lot of money for something that would only get occasional use.

The HD-800 has nothing in common with the K-701. It has an entirely different sound signature.

Dec 4, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #12 of 13
If you're used to the HD-600s, you'd have probably found the LCD-2s a bit too dark (long story here, but I had a similar issue with Stax Omega IIs).  The HE-6s will likely be a good choice, however, DO upgrade your source indeed in a serious way. 
smile.gif

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
If you're used to the HD-600s, you'd have probably found the LCD-2s a bit too dark (long story here, but I had a similar issue with Stax Omega IIs).

Possible - Depending on the record, I find even the HD600 to be a bit too dark and too heavy on bass. I guess the HE-6 wasn't a completely wrong choice.

Quote:
Uncle Erik said:
I transitioned from mostly listening to the HD-600 to a HD-800. [...]
The HD-800 has nothing in common with the K-701. It has an entirely different sound signature.

Oh well! Looks like I have to try the HD800 as well some time
smile.gif

I was mostly worried about them being very unforgiving on poor recordings, of which I have quite a few. But this will likely be the case with the HE-6 as well, and so my RS1 will probably still get some headtime.

Anyway, thanks to you guys for the replies! Can't wait to hear the HE-6
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back