Upgrading from ATH-M50
Feb 10, 2011 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kroovy

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I once again come to you asking of your advice, oh wise community 'o HeadFi
o2smile.gif

I'm currently running Audio-Technica M50's with a FiiO E9 desktop amplifier. Before getting the M50's and the E9 I used Audio-Technica A700's (the lack of bass being the reason for my upgrade) with a FiiO E5 portable amp. In between this upgrade, I purchased a pair of BeyerDynamic DT880 600ohm to go with the new amplifier purchase; however, the 1W E9 barely had enough power to make the DT880s make sound, let alone go boom, so I had to return them :frowning2:

Anyways, a friend of mine is looking to get a pair of M50s. And while the bass in the M50s is good, I still desire more. I want something that will screwking THUMP. I want my head to shake when the lows hit and I want to feel like I'm getting punched with the mid and high bass. So I figured I'd take this opportunity to off the M50s, help a friend out by giving him a good deal, as well as give me some extra cash to upgrade.

My price range is basically anything around or under $250.
- Something closed back
- Gotta be comfortable and be able to be worn for indefinite amount of time (both the A700s and the M50s could do this)
- Rich, deep bass as well as a full sound stage
- Something that will show bass WITH MY CURRENT SETUP. At this stage I can't afford to buy a +$300 audiophile amp to power my cans, so please nothing high resistance or hard-to-drive (unless you already know it'll sound good with a FiiO E9)
 - Optional - Preferably something with portability. The A700s were the most comfortable of the bunch, but the large size of the cans and the awkward shape of the headband setup made them very anti-portable, even when carrying in my bag between classes (on top of looking like an astronaut). The M50s are the more preferable design but looks aren't everything, just a preference.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! 

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 4
Denon AH-D1100 will have more thump I believe.

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 4
seriously don't think you'll find something better than the m50 at that price range. i've spent the past few days critically listening to a list of cans ranging from $100~$1500.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/538301/closed-can-comparison-100-to-1500

the cans are going through a 50~60hr burn in process right now and i'll be giving them another listen, but the initial out-of-box impression i have so far ranks the m50 right behind the beyerdynamics t5p (and it actually sounds better for certain music genres than the t5p).  

anyways, feel free to check out my detailed update in a few days and see how i compare the M50 to other more expensive cans.  

that being said, if closed cans are not a requirement, i've absolutely fallen in love with the grado rs1.  i would definitely recommend you give the rs1's silblings a listen.

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 4
haha those are $700 headphones! but they sure do look nice and probably sound amazing... Im kind of in the same position as the op, i have the m50.... i dont know where to upgrade, even if to upgrade... they are not amped... 

dont know if i should just get an amp for em or get different headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back