Upgrading apartment into house - which country has the best sound?
Feb 10, 2010 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Patrick82

Banned
My girlfriend got an international job and said she will buy a house for us in the summer, I would get to decide the location, I would get my own cellar to "work" in. I will have random papers on a desk (with numbers to confuse her). Outside the room I will hang a "do not disturb" sign. Inside the room I will have a secret door into my audio rig cave, she will never know what I do all day.

She asked me if there is anything I want when she is rich, I told her, I want 1 Judge power cable per month. She said, "So little? Nothing else?" I said, yes I don't need much. I made her promise. I have not revealed the price of my cables. One time we were tweaking with ERS Paper and I asked her how much she thinks one sheet costs, she said 50 cents.

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #2 of 18
i recently read that sounds travels faster in warmer air, so perhaps you can thermally isolate your audio cave and make it so hot she dare not enter
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One time we were tweaking with ERS Paper and I asked her how much she thinks one sheet costs, she said 50 cents.

Ha! The fool.

Which country is best-equipped to grant your wish for sonic nirvana you ask? I say to you that you need look no further than...

GREENLAND!

Kuummiut,%20Greenland.jpg

The crisp arctic air will work wonders on your system in ways that you can't even begin to imagine! There's nothing better for resolution and dynamics. And I hear the fishing is wonderful.
icon10.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by St3ve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps you could consider moving to wherever the Judge cable is produced. Less money spent on postage is more spent on tweaking!!!

I want to move to Virtual Dynamics factory, or even better, let the factory move to me.

Feb 10, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Have you managed to get your GF into tweaking?

Yes. She quit school and moved permanently to my apartment. I can't tweak in secret anymore so I took my chances. One time I was cutting and taping the ERS Paper while she was sitting in the chair with her rabbits, then she gave me strange looks, I was worried a few times but I still kept taping. One time she came over and said "I use that technique to cut the tape too!" later she came back and said "do you want me to help you?" I said yes and handed over the scissors and tape to her. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face until she asked "WHY are you taping with grey paper?", I panicked and started sweating...I told her they are to protect the rabbits from chewing on the cables. I showed her pictures of cables that were chewed on, and she said she will buy me new cables. I even showed her a chewed on Judge power cable. I chewed on it myself so I would get another one. I didn't hear a reduction in audio quality, it still sounds amazing! As you can see, my new hobby is chewing on Judge power cables.

Feb 10, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As you can see, my new hobby is chewing on Judge power cables.

I am pretty sure you might be the only person in the world who chews on hyper-expensive powercables. That makes you one in about 6-7 billion Patrick. Anyway, I think it is good that you no longer have to tweak alone.

Feb 10, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 18
Greenland sounds good, very cryogenic.

Feb 10, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #10 of 18
How about New Ålesund on Spitsbergen (Norway)?
One of the world's northernmost settlements at 78° North. Running on its own totally isolated power supply, and with clean air and quiet surroundings it seems like pretty much the ideal spot for listening to music.

nyaa2_iln_.jpg

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #11 of 18
Ideal for headphone listening, I would recommend moving to Ottawa and setting up shop in the anechoic chamber at the National Research Council. It has a shell of concrete blocks and reinforced concrete, with an inner room made of steel panels on springs to absorb vibration, covered with anechoic wedges. Sound will not get in or out, the wife won't get in or out, and if armageddon happens outside while you have the cans on, you just might make it through. There is also a removable floor in case you need to be extra stealth about where all your power cables are going.

This facility has been used to further audio R&D by engineers from many of Canada's best audio and speaker companies for at least 40 years.

Acoustic Anechoic Chamber (INMS) - Facilities - NRC-CNRC

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valens7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GREENLAND!

Kuummiut,%20Greenland.jpg

The crisp arctic air will work wonders on your system in ways that you can't even begin to imagine! There's nothing better for resolution and dynamics. And I hear the fishing is wonderful.
icon10.gif

Wow, that is pretty!
beerchug.gif

Quote:

I am pretty sure you might be the only person in the world who chews on hyper-expensive powercables. That makes you one in about 6-7 billion Patrick. Anyway, I think it is good that you no longer have to tweak alone.

Yeah, chew hard and deep with that cable plugged in too.
popcorn.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #14 of 18
as close as possible from a nuclear plant sounds ideal? and possibly get your own power line directly from them? using ultra-pure mono-crystal copper and ERS paper wrapping of course.

the beauty is that many countries have their own littles plants = broader choice
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #15 of 18
I'd recommend picking up one of the decommissioned missile silos here in the US. Yes, you really can buy them.

They're underground, with mostly constant temperature and humidity. They are designed to withstand nuclear attack, so vibration control is good. They're also shielded against radiation, so cosmic background noise won't affect your system, either. Best of all, many of them have their own power generation systems so you don't have to take power off the grid. You could probably tweak and upgrade the generators, too. It would be ideal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back