upgraded b&w p5 cable
Sep 2, 2011 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

aimSNAPfail

New Head-Fier
Almost completed my cable upgrade for my B&W p5's and i figured i would just share my progress. DIY cable from double helix cables, as well as jacks.

a few touch up solder points and redoing some heat shrink to look pretty and im in business.

from what i listened there was a nice increase in clarity.

Sep 2, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 38
so far i dont believe so. i use it with an ibasso d2 boa, so it is somewhat hindered by the added bulk. but i think it looks great, sounds great and is easy enough to carry around.

it was a complete pain to get a working idea for the inside of the earphone since it uses a 2.5mm adapter, but it works for me!

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #5 of 38
Dear amSNAPfail,
The cable looks fantastic. I really want to make a cable upgrade for my owm pair, but I don't know how to start(never done this before and to quote you "it was a complete pain to get a working idea for the inside of the earphone since it uses a 2.5mm adapter"). Could you please point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

tinduy

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 38
id be glad to lend a hand, i was hoping others would be interested in doing this.

i started with 26 awg occ copper cable. i got my cable from double helix cable. ( http://www.doublehelixcables.com/ )
the only have 24 awg, but he had a small batch of 26 that he used for a different project. the 24 awg isn’t significantly bigger than the 26, but as you know the cavity is very narrow in the headphones.

the cable braid is a standard litz pattern, but what i did to make the cable fit in the earcup was once i had to last few inches unbraided i stripped the 2 grounds and wound them together so i could simply spin the uncovered grounds around the left and right wire, which fit pretty well. heat shrink over the cables and you’re good to go. i know its probably not the best for the ground, because of oxidation and what not, but it works for now. one thing to keep in mind, the left and right cables would ideally be stacked on top of each other to fit best.

as for the 2.5mm, they have a gold right angel 2.5mm stereo jack at radio shack, i simply took the jack out and discarded the plastic casing. i used head shrink to cover the jack as well, which works fine.

overall the project ran pretty smoothly and it sounds fantastic. i personally recommend double helix, the owner is super friendly and has no problem answering technical questions (very quickly)

any other questions feel free to ask!

Sep 13, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 38
The OP did a really great job with this rather difficult project.  I only wish that I had a pair of P5s so I could screw around with them too.

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #10 of 38
thank you very much. it wasnt as hard as imagined once i had the physical materials infront of me. i did spend days racking my brain as to how to approach the project though.
in the end the sonic results were very much worth it!

im glad people are showing interest in upgrading these cans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back