Upgrade questions - Denon to Audeze
Sep 12, 2012 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TGTBATQ

Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of Denon AHD-5000s plugged into an Audio-gd NFB15.1.
I've really been eyeing a pair of LCD-2s, and now that I finally have enough leisure money for them, I have a few questions.
1) For the kind of music I listen to, (hardcore "screamo", electro, house, dnb) would LCD's be a wise choice since I would consider myself a "Bass head"? If no, then what other headphones would be recommended within an 800$ price range
2) As stated above, I have an Audio-GD NFB15.1, would I need to completely trash this and get a new amp/dac?
3) I thought my Denon's were a huge purchase, so obviously i'm quite cautious about how my money is going to be spent on the LCD's, so overall, can anyone give any PERSONAL experience on how big a performance jump from the D5K's up to the LCDs?

Thank you for any advice or insight anyone is able to provide
TGT

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 8
I didn't have the D5K's but I had the D2K's and I took the jump to Audeze.  I don't consider myself a bass freak or anything but if there's one part of the frequency spectrum that really makes me stand up and take notice, it's the bass. 

Simply put, the LCD-2's made the D2K's sound clumsy and tubby in the bass department.  The Denons are great bass cans but the bass on the LCD-2's is literally otherworldly.  I've never heard bass as deep, accurate, or as perfectly balanced.  So that leaves it up to you.  If you like pumped up bass, they probably won't be enough for you and you should probably keep the Denons.  If you like the bass that's already there in your music to be reproduced to perfection, I highly recommend the Audezes.

After a quick check of the 15.1's specs, I think it should drive the Audezes just fine.  They need a LOT of power to sound their best...even 1W doesn't sound quite right.

Again, my experience was with the D2K's but in terms of sound quality improvement, the LCD-2's are well worth the extra money.  The D2K's always seemed mid-shy and sort of blah with anything mid-centric.  The LCD-2's are anything but...they have mids to die for.  The treble on the D2K's was borderline scratchy.  The LCD-2's do treble just as accurately as they do everything else.  When it comes to dynamics, there's no contest.  The ortho driver with a good amp is just too darn fast and perfect.

If there's one area where the LCD-2's are just okay, it's soundstage.  Honestly, the D2K's soundstage is about the same size as the LCD-2's...if not bigger from time to time.  That's not as much of a damning statement as it might sound because the Denons are known for very good soundstage but when you think of open vs. closed cans (and considering how the LCD-2's do everything else so well), you don't expect the closed ones to win out.

Hope this helps.

Sep 18, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
I currently have a pair of Denon AHD-5000s plugged into an Audio-gd NFB15.1.
I've really been eyeing a pair of LCD-2s, and now that I finally have enough leisure money for them, I have a few questions.
1) For the kind of music I listen to, (hardcore "screamo", electro, house, dnb) would LCD's be a wise choice since I would consider myself a "Bass head"? If no, then what other headphones would be recommended within an 800$ price range
2) As stated above, I have an Audio-GD NFB15.1, would I need to completely trash this and get a new amp/dac?
3) I thought my Denon's were a huge purchase, so obviously i'm quite cautious about how my money is going to be spent on the LCD's, so overall, can anyone give any PERSONAL experience on how big a performance jump from the D5K's up to the LCDs?

Thank you for any advice or insight anyone is able to provide
TGT

Firstly, I have limited experience with headphones and got into the hobby with a huge splash so even though I own a lot of gear, that is not an indication of great knowledge, hehe.

1) I listen to a lot of the same type of music, please check my profile for references on music preferences and owned gear too. Yes, I would. Not sure how it will perform with your amp, but I love the LCD-2 r.1s I currently own and want the LCD-3 too.

2) I have no clue.

3) I own D7000 and have often said that it's my favorite, but now that I've got HD 650, LCD-2, D7000 and WA6SE with a bunch of tubes, it's hard to pick an absolute favorite. I love all my babies!!! :D

Also, I have had D2k in the past, but never heard D5k. There is a significant jump from D7k to LCD-2 (deeper, cleaner, more controlled bass, more separation, wider soundstage, better highs - you name it) The umpfh of the D7ks are less present with the LCD-2s, but that is probably due to the open design of the latter.

It also has its downsides: For some it may be fatiguing for long listening sessions and it has a completely different comfort - in a negative way - while the Dxk's all feel like feathers on your head, you will definitely notice the LCD-2s. That's not a huge issue for me personally, but for some it is. If I'm reading a book I'd rather wear the D7ks than LCD-2s though. Partly due to comfort, and because all the details can be overwhelming when trying to concentrate on something else. The D7ks are nicer that way.

A suggestion is that you pick up a used pair here on head-fi. That way you can try them and sell them for the same amount or a small loss.

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 8
Get your D5K's worked on by Lawton Audio.

LCD-2 bass isn't going to please you the same way Denon bass will. Lawton mods further the existing sound signature you love so much.

I actually like the NFB15.1 for almost all headphones.

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 8
IMO I would very easily give up the D5000s for the LCD-2s. Heck, I'd happily upgrade from the D7000s (owned them twice) to the LCD-2s without a second thought.

The D5000s will slam more, but the qualify of the bass will be flabby and uncontrolled in comparison to the amazing quality of the LCD-2s.

The one area the D5000s are better is comfort. No question here.

Sound isolation...funny enough, they're about the same. 
tongue.gif

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 8
..hey some people are into flab 
basshead.gif
 lol

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 8
Pretty much in agreement with both posts below. 

I will say that the comfort of the LCD2 is not an issue after the first week or so,  the clamping force loosens (or the pads break in a bit) and the weight is not noticeable to me. However, the D5000's are the most comfortable phone I've owned.

The LCD2 is a worthwhile upgrade over the D5000's in my opinion.  I think it has a lot better separation and clarity compared to the D5000.  The D5000 is a very fun and very capable phone, but the LCD2 really does feel a step above in sound quality.  The previous posts are right about the bass though, the Denons do seams to have that pounding, hard hitting, out of control bass in comparison.

Quote:
IMO I would very easily give up the D5000s for the LCD-2s. Heck, I'd happily upgrade from the D7000s (owned them twice) to the LCD-2s without a second thought.

The D5000s will slam more, but the qualify of the bass will be flabby and uncontrolled in comparison to the amazing quality of the LCD-2s.

The one area the D5000s are better is comfort. No question here.

Sound isolation...funny enough, they're about the same. 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Get your D5K's worked on by Lawton Audio.

LCD-2 bass isn't going to please you the same way Denon bass will. Lawton mods further the existing sound signature you love so much.

I actually like the NFB15.1 for almost all headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back