Upgrade needed from Sennheiser HD 555's...
Sep 9, 2010 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

LiquidExtreme12

Head-Fier
Hi all. I bought a set of HD 555's about a year ago. When I first bought them, I enjoyed listening to them very much (I only use my headphones to listen to music). They were my first set of "proper" headphones and I thought they were perfect. The sound was clear, and that's about it. Not so long after, I needed to get some new headphones for my iPhone because my official ones kept breaking so I thought I'd go straight to the top end and bought myself a set of Sennheiser IE8's. I am always listening to music on the go so I thought I'd just go for it! For me, it was one of the best desicions I ever made. The 3 main things that I love about them are the fact that the sound is crystal clear, the bass is very strong, and the soundstage is just incredible. After using them everyday for the past year, I don't enjoy listening to my HD 555's anymore. For me, they sound like the complete opposite of the IE8's and I want to buy a new set of headphones for home use. I would appriciate it if you guys could help me decide which I should buy. I want headphones that sound just as good as, if not better than my IE8's (I want them to be full size cans). The 3 main things that the headphones must have is: 1. Fantastic mid-range. 2. Fantastic bass. 3. Fantastic soundstage. My budget is around £300. I keep pushing myself towards the HD 650's but I'm worried that if I buy them, they might not sound anything like what I was expecting. I'm worried that they may sound too similar to my HD 555's. Please, help me!

Sep 9, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 3
well, i haven't heard the hd555 but i have heard the hd595 because my friend used to own one, an a lot of people would say these sound the same or better than the stock 555. i also have the ie8. in my honest opinion, my hd650 with new drivers on an entry level tube amp (little dot mk2) beats both in bass (hd595 lacks it, ie8 has it in oodles but the quality is better in the hd650), and soundstage (ie8 with the average_joe mod has improved soundstage, but the stock ie8 will not compete with the hd650, and the hd595 has less than both), and the thing i love most about the hd650 is the way the vocals are presented. they are better than the dt880 and the dt990 as far as mids are concerned, and much more compared to a similarly amped ie8 and hd595 in my experience 
smile.gif

i'd say go for the hd650. they were flagship then for a good reason 
smile.gif

Sep 9, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 3
i'd say go for the hd650. they were flagship then for a good reason 
smile.gif

^^^you will be happy with them from the hd555.  i want them so bad but cant afford the 400 price tag, but those would be the next step for you, youd probably love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back