Upgrade-itis.
Nov 17, 2010 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jshnks

Head-Fier
I started my venture into headphones not to long ago, with a Alessandro MS-1 after a few months
of listening to the MS-1, i read up on the forums about the MS-1000 and modded them accordingly.
The soundstage definatly opened up alot, maybe its just my ears but i get alot of right/left channel
and a big blank of nothingness in the middle, and i would like to fix that. I would like to see the
music from my right ear all the way to left ear, including everything in the middle. I would love to go
to a store and sample different headphones, however i can not so i was hoping for some help /
recommendations. I listen to pretty much everything but mostly female jazz vocalists/pianists.
They will also be used for gaming, and i do plan on buying an amp. Have been looking at the
DV336i.

So i was wondering if the DT880 600ohm would be a good choice, for what i am looking for,
If not any recommendations? or would it be silly to upgrade to any of those from what i have?
Another reason for the upgrade is comfort, as i find the MS1000 way to uncomfortable and i
cannot leave them on too long.

Only looking to  spend around 300 on the headphones. and most likely 300 on the amp
However more or less can be spent, but not losely.

Thanks alot!

Joshua

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 9
I can't give any specific recommendations, but I would try to get headphones that sound "warm" for the music you're listening to.  Headphones with recessed midrange/low-midranges make pianos and vocals sound detached and less intimate.

I've tried the HD555 and I loved them for their warmth.  Considering they are pretty well received and are known to be identical to HD595s with a simple mod, I would recommend you try them out even though they might not go up to the price range you list?

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 9
The DT-880 600 is a good option. It does need a powerful amp though. Obviously a portable would not be enough.
I tried them and liked them, but the vocals were not as good as I had hoped. I didn't find the mids recessed though.

Somehow I've just never been a fan of Beyer headphones for vocal quality. The DT-880 600 was a bit too treble happy for my liking, but still not too bad.

When I had my DT-880 600 I compared it side by side to the AKG k601. The k601 was far better for what I needed. It has the absolute best vocal quality out of everything i've tried yet. It's perfect for all the music you've described. Out of the box it can sound a bit bass light, but after burn in, it defininitely is not. I also don't really find the highs rolled off like some people say.

I actually find them more comfortable than the DT-880 600. The DT-880 600 may be better for classical to some, but would probably lose out to the k601 for vocals. At least it did with me.

Another option is the DT-990. The only reason I mentioned them is that I believe amazon might still have that $190 sale on them. I'm not sure. Even i'm tempted to try them again.

Of course my favorite cheap option is the k240 Studio. That's a very good headphone for gaming and even music. Best deal ever. I imagine though you want to spend a bit more.

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 9
Well, the 990 and the 880 are both around the same price on amazon 880 $250 / 990 $230
I had thought about AKG but with all the people saying its bass shy never thought to hard
about it, as i do like a bit of bass.

Thanks for all the suggestions tho so far!

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 9
B&H has them for 250 as well, i spose i could order from them, and i think they dont have a restocking fee
so if i dont like them too much, i will try out the AKG's.

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 9
straight to qualias please.

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back