Upgrade HD555's?
Dec 14, 2010 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

iLol

New Head-Fier
So I got myself some HD555's a while back, as they were recommended for entry level cans. They are pretty neutral and lack in bass, but they are very detailed and soundstage is pretty good. These are cans that I would think are better suited for movies and games than music.

So, my question is, is it worth owning AD700's (and since I made a thread, Alessando MS-1's) alongside HD555's, or is the difference negligible, and I might as well be saving towards higher end headphones?

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 6
I would say not. I found them to be fairly similar, you'd probably be much better off saving for some cans that contrast the HD-555s nicely rather then getting another very similar pair.

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 6
No. Dont do redundany stuff.Save for bigger, better cans.

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 6
The AD700 doesn't have much bass either but it is does have better detail, clarity, separation, and soundstage.  Next step up would be the DT440 or AD900 in easy to drive phones. Most people prefer the AD700 or MS-1 to the HD555 though they aren't necessarily better sounding (just a different tonal balance.)

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 6
Alright, so in this case, what would be the best path of upgrade, considering that my primary source is my computer's Essence STX?

I think I might prefer closed headphones, I went to a LAN cafe and tried out G35's (yeah I know, lol Logtiech), and they were probably on too loud, but I did enjoy the "strength" they had, and I'm going to attribute that to it's closed nature.

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #6 of 6
  Why not do the "595 Mod" ? You open them, remove a piece of foam, and they're
practically a HD595: more bass.

After burn in (100 hours), they'll also sound better.

I'd try this, enjoy them for what they are, and save for a bigger step up!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back