Upgrade from Sennheiser CX300 II to Audio-Technica ATH-CKS70... good choice?
May 29, 2011 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

AlexanderMKD

New Head-Fier
Hi all, im new here and i really need some help.

I currently have the cx300ii, but i want to upgrade to something with more bass, a lot of bass, heavy, strong and punchy. I read lot of reviews for the CKS70, and when talking about bass all reviewers says that they are one of the best earphones for heavy-bass lovers.

Will CKS70 be a good upgrade from the cx300ii and did they have that much strong bass?

I found some good offer, a new, genuine CKS70 for 50$ and free shipping. I only get the earphones, without the original packaging and the other accessories.

I listen all sorts of music  from 60's till today... pop-rock, disco, electronic, rock, metal, RnB, techno, trance but most music from 80's, pop-rock, disco, electronic, rock, metal.....

I will use them on my Nokia N82.

Thanks, Bye

May 29, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 16
The ATH-CKS70 is nice upgrade over CX300 with more deep punchy bass, more clarity and wide soundstage.

May 29, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for the reply.

What about CKS90 and Klipsch Image S4 compared to CKS70, what about the bass, i really want to feel the bass punching even on softer songs, and what about other sound specs if u compare CKS70 > CKS90 > Klipsch S4

There is a great offer for CKS70 and CKS90, genuine products straight from factory unpackaged without accessories, just the earphones. CKS70 are 50$, CKS90 - 70$.

And Klipsch S4 in original package for 55$.

What's the best choice?

Thanks

May 30, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 16
The CKS90 is even better because overall it's more detailed and bass is still deep punchy as CKS70. BTW Ultimate Ears UE5EB are also very bass heavy IEMs i heard(include than JVC FX500, IE8).

May 30, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 16
I contacted the buyers (5) that buy the CKS90 that i want to buy. 2 of them give me a reply... here's what they say...

1. -The Bass is perfectly alright to me when listening my CD with normal cd mode. If I enhance the Bass mode, it will be too heavy for some of the songs I listened.

2. -These earphones are very good with clear sound and strong bass, but in order to do so they need to be deep on the ears. The bass is strong but only in music that are suposed to be like this. In other musics and tones are leveled and balanced.

What are you think of these?

I will only spend some money if they really give strong and punchy bass in most kinds of songs, not only in these that have more bass. If i get more bass only on more bassyer songs i will be pretty dissapointed for the money, i will be much happyer with the cx300 and money in my pocket, than having the earphones that as the 2nd opinion says "-These earphones are very good with clear sound and strong bass, but in order to do so they need to be deep on the ears. The bass is strong but only in music that are suposed to be like this. In other musics and tones are leveled and balanced."

May 30, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #6 of 16
Most people consider it a major flaw if headphones add bass to songs that don't actually have much bass.  I know I do.  Once you go up in price and start looking at more "audiophile" oriented headphones, you're not gonna find what you're looking for.

Still, maybe this will help you find what you're looking for:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-170-iems-compared-etymotic-resarch-hf5-acs-custom-eartips-added-05-26

May 31, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #8 of 16
The JVC are supposed to have great bass but may have to much treble or potential sibilance from what I have read.

I own a pair of the CKS70 still and while my wife uses them vs myself still find their novelty bass fun but do think they have overall sound issues but at $50 they would be fun to have around. If they are going to be your only IEM unless you truly live only for bass I do think you will get tired of their sound though.

Finally be very carefull about any seller who sells these outside of retail boxes and stuff as they are often as not counterfeits. Now in the case of the CKS70 since AT has discontinued them you may be seeing some factory over runs that are being sold underground by the factory to recover losses but in either case just be carefull.

May 31, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
The JVC are supposed to have great bass but may have to much treble or potential sibilance from what I have read.

I own a pair of the CKS70 still and while my wife uses them vs myself still find their novelty bass fun but do think they have overall sound issues but at $50 they would be fun to have around. If they are going to be your only IEM unless you truly live only for bass I do think you will get tired of their sound though.

Finally be very carefull about any seller who sells these outside of retail boxes and stuff as they are often as not counterfeits. Now in the case of the CKS70 since AT has discontinued them you may be seeing some factory over runs that are being sold underground by the factory to recover losses but in either case just be carefull.

Thanks for the reply, 

Well i'm not an expert, i don't really understand this things. What i want from earphones is to have nice clear sound, clear treble, sound not to be noisy, nice details in music, and most, bass, i like to feel it in almost all songs, i first have the Nokia 3500 classic, i listened with the earphones that comes with the phone... and woooooow, a tons of bass, strong, punchy and permanent, there was very nice bass in 95% of songs i've listened. The bass was blowing and it was very punchy and strong on songs like "Fatal Tragedy" from Dream Theater, "Cigaro" from SOAD, "Holy Diver" from Killswitch Engage, "Eagleheart", "Hunting High And Low" from Stratovarius, "Hearts on Fire" from Hammerfall "Enjoy The Silence" from Depeche Mode, "Sounds Like a Melody" from Alphaville, "Drive", from Cars, "Call Me" from Go West, "Sadeness" from Enigma, "Automatic" from The Pointer Sisters, "if i only knew" from Tom Jones, on Bob Marley's songs, and of course some elecrtonic music, techno, trance...i get a nice punchy and permanent bass even on songs like "Tragedy" from the Bee Gees, "Easy Lover" from Phil Collins, "True" from Spandau Ballet, "Still got the Blues" from Gary Moore, "Your Love" from The Outfield "Dancing in the Dark" from Bruce Springsteen, and i get some good bass even on songs like Del Shannon's "Runaway", "Please Please Me" from The Beatles, "Forever Young" from Alphaville, "The Boxer" and "The Sounds Of Silence" from Simon and Garfunkel, "Heroes", John Lennon's "Imanige", "You to Me Are Everything" from The Real Thing, "Kung Fu Fighting" from Carl Douglas....

Unfortunately the earphones got broken, and the phone accidentally fell into water. From then i bought the Sony Ericsson C510, but the earphones that comes with the phone was really bad, i bought the Sony's MDR-ED12LP Heavy Bass, but the bass was very low, and the treble and detalis in music was not good. I sold the C510 and get the Nokia N82 that im using it now, the sony earphones giver little better bass with the n82, but way lower than i expect. Same with CX300II, the bass is the same as on Sony earphones, but the details, and clarity are much better than MDR-ED12LP.

With every earphones i use equalizer and usually the first bar (for bass) and last (for clarity, treble) i got always up on maximum.

So which one will respond better to EQ, i won a [size=small][size=small]JVC Victor HP-FX500[/size] on ebay, and they will cost me 37$, i look the feedback of other buyers of these earphones and they all have positive comments on it, and other thing that i noticed is that all of them get the earphones for 35-40$. Here are the comments from buyers.....[/size]

[size=small]-Item received fast, good condition. AA++[/size]

[size=small]-Very nice headphones. Item is shipped from China. Pretty fast considering.[/size]

[size=small]-Another great transaction.[/size]

[size=small]-nice product and fast shippment[/size]

[size=small]-Best Earphone of World![/size]

[size=small]-all fine thank you[/size]

[size=x-small]-Top in-ear headphone,Email contact Perfect 100 % seller[/size]

[size=x-small]-Great seller. Thanks![/size]

[size=x-small]-Item was as described. Great seller![/size]

[size=x-small]-Great seller, great item, superb packing, fast shipping, cool price[/size]

[size=x-small]-Great communication from seller.Kept me informed on progress of great product.[/size]

[size=x-small]-Hope to deal with you again. Thank you.[/size]

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #10 of 16
BUMP

I can't decide which one to take, CKS70 or CKS90? Which one is best choice for good punchy bass and nice clear and detailed sound? 

Will the bass be better than on the CX300II?

And what about KOSS - THE PLUG earphones?

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #11 of 16
CX300's are a bit very low end actually compared to even Maximo's.
Maximo's are like $60 I think, and I got them with groupon discount to $25. They sound way better than the CX300's. The CX300's were $10 with mail in rebate when I bought them.

If you get the maximos you need a good eartip, none of them works for me, so I am using a Sony eartip. In honesty, when comparing the two, CX300s sound very cheap, and bad.

But

I will recommend you something else instead

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62_51&products_id=390

These are M2s by Brainwavz. I got them when they had a special sale a while back.

They are way and beyond the CX300 or the Maximos.

In my opinion
M2s are the best bang for the buck, and even beyond. They are a hidden gemstone in the earphone market.
The sound that is coming out of these is amazing, something you would expect at $150, but they are 1/3 price.
Soundstage is amazing
Bass is excellent
Mids are great
Etc

I used the Klipsch S4s as well, and in all honesty they don't come close to M2s. Just for the cable I would chose M2s in the heartbeat.

Jun 5, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:

Quote:
CX300's are a bit very low end actually compared to even Maximo's.
Maximo's are like $60 I think, and I got them with groupon discount to $25. They sound way better than the CX300's. The CX300's were $10 with mail in rebate when I bought them.

If you get the maximos you need a good eartip, none of them works for me, so I am using a Sony eartip. In honesty, when comparing the two, CX300s sound very cheap, and bad.

But

I will recommend you something else instead

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62_51&products_id=390

These are M2s by Brainwavz. I got them when they had a special sale a while back.

They are way and beyond the CX300 or the Maximos.

In my opinion
M2s are the best bang for the buck, and even beyond. They are a hidden gemstone in the earphone market.
The sound that is coming out of these is amazing, something you would expect at $150, but they are 1/3 price.
Soundstage is amazing
Bass is excellent
Mids are great
Etc

I used the Klipsch S4s as well, and in all honesty they don't come close to M2s. Just for the cable I would chose M2s in the heartbeat.

Thank you very much for your reply, i read really good things about the M2s, if i had to decide now i would buy the M2s by Brainwavz, but i have just one more question, what about M2 compared with CKS70 and CKS90, what about bass (i want the most) and details in sound and treble?

Jun 13, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 16
Actually im very interested in the cks70. The bass sounds very appealing BUT how are the vocals on it?

Im using the Xears N3i and the sound fantastic, just i want more bass. The detail and clarity is great and vocals are pretty much perfect for me, just not enough bass at times.

Thanks

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #14 of 16
I just happened to run across this post.  I know the EXACT seller you are referring to on Ebay as I purchased the CKS90's from him at the same price you are mentioning.  No box, accessories etc.  They are definitely fakes.  They have the sound quality of a $5 set of kids ear buds.  My pair are on the way back to Japan now.

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #15 of 16
Xears N3i or TD-111 with discount code (KLANGFUZZIS  ) they are a crazy steal and sound like what your after. Awesome bass and sounstage. Just use complys and your all set.
I've owned the fx-500 and the N3 definately is better IMHO.
The superfi 5 EB is ok - bass is too much, treble is harsh and very recessed mids. N3 way bettrer.
IE8's actually sound alot like the N3's but have the edge over the xears. (ie8's cost waaay more though). Both have great soundstage and deep, tight bass with a mid bass hump.
Haven't heard the cks70.
My advice is take advantge of the discount while it's there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back