Upgrade from Denon AH-D5000 to Audeze LCD2 (or what?)
Sep 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

umlawgrad

New Head-Fier
Hi,

First, before anyone here cringes, my audio system consists of an iPod Classic with a SR-71A headphone amp.  I spent a lot of time auditioning various headphones up to the HD-800.  For my tastes, I preferred the AH-D5000 to the HD-800 and even Denon's 7000s.  Due to distance from the nearest dealer, I have been unable to listen to Audeze, Hifiman, or even the latest Denon models (to the extent they are available).  I am especially interested in the LCD2, primarily because of the price and what I have read that they are a substantial improvement over everything I like about the D5000s. 

My question is, would the LCD2s give me a substantial increase in sound quality over the Denon model I have, while retaining the same signature sound.  Most of the reviews I have read say yes.  A related question, I guess, is whether the LCD2s can be driven by the SR-71A with an iPod Classic source.  This is the only option I have right now.  I have the ability to travel to listen to some of the newer headphone models.  Can anyone comment on the LCD2 or any headphone model that would be an improvement over the AH-D5000, keeping in mind the fact I preferred it to the more expensive Denon model and the significantly more expensive Sennheiser model.  My upgrade budget is about $1,500 for headphones.  The sound signature I preferred were also produced by the more expensive Grado models.  

So, all this considered will the LCD2 knock my socks off?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 5
I liked the less revealing nature of the 5000s (with my limited system) along with more emphasis on the bass (to the detriment of the midrange, I suppose -- again probably due to the iPod's sound "quality" and the type of music I tend to listen to -- pretty much anything except extensive classical and jazz).

I might be selling the 5000s if I find something I like better.  However, as far as headphones being personal, the D5000s did it for me.  I do not have a local dealer that sells any high end headphones.  As noted, I am willing to travel to audition some of these (or even purchase, possibly the LCD2) with the possibility of returning them.  However, I especially don't want to do that if the consensus is I am not going to get an improvement in sound over the Denons.  I am looking for opinions on whether the LCD2 would be such an improvement.   

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #5 of 5
I love my LCD2's (as well as the D5000's), and from what I read above you're better off just sticking with your D5000's. 

- If you preferred the less revealing nature of the D5000's, well the LCD2 is more revealing.
- If there's no desire to upgrade the amp/source equipment, you may not get the most from the LCD2's
- The Denon's and LCD2's are not the same sound.  The LCD's do have a nice low end, but its not bright on top like the D5000.

I found the LCD2's better than the D5000's, but your situation seams to indicate that the upgrade my not be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back