Upgrade from Beyers, EXPERTS get in.. yes YOU!!
Jul 8, 2010 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jabse

100+ Head-Fier
I have decided i'm willing to spend up to $400 max, sorry for creating lots of threads my priorities have changed and so has my budget.

Here are my priorities, the list IS in order from most to least important but they are all important :)  I don't mind if its open or closed, YOU CHOOSE as long as it matches the list

1. Similar or better, more spacious sound stage than my beyers for an amazing 3d effect with techno etc
2. Not too sibilant, better sounding mids/highs than my beyers
3. Similar comfort to my beyers(not too much worse)
4. Bass similar to dt770/80, can handle low low frequencies yet has decent punch. Don't get me wrong not quantity wise i don't mind if they have less quantity, I just want them to be EQ-bass-CAPABLE, this means when im listening to bassy music ill EQ them very well to reveal powerful bass.

Yes i do eq, yes i have an amp its not too good though, don't care if it leaks sound to other people as long as it doesn't suck at isolating sound 

It would be good if you've heard the dt770/80 or have a good idea on how it compares in the required fields with a headphone that you've heard, so your opinion would be much more accurate.

Jul 8, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 8
Sounds like something in the Ultrasone line would suit you. Pro 750 or 900 seem to be some solid choices. FWIR the bass on the Pro 900 is insane but of course you can always Kees mod them.

Jul 8, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Sounds like something in the Ultrasone line would suit you. Pro 750 or 900 seem to be some solid choices. FWIR the bass on the Pro 900 is insane but of course you can always Kees mod them.

So the pro 750 or 900 have a nice 3d spacious sound stage bigger than the dt770/80??

Jul 8, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 8
Hold on a second. I'll do a direct comparison and post it in a few minutes. I can't believe I never A/B'd these two. I'll be using a Pro 650 and IIRC the 750 had a bit larger soundstage so keep that in mind. I'm pretty sure the soundstage is a least equal to them if not greater.

edit: sorry I can only give some quick impressions. I completely forgot about going out to dinner with the family. From what I got to hear which wasn't much to be honest the soundstage is a little bigger on the 650 than the DT770. I found it was much better for gaming as it felt much more natural and had better imaging. Also it had more detail, clarity, and smoothness than the DT770 in addition to pretty much everything you listed. Sorry got to go. Good luck!

Jul 9, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #6 of 8
If you want a similar sound signature, but with better mids and high end, you should also consider the DT150.  The Ultrasone sound is pretty polarizing (I haven't listened to them yet, but I have one coming in over the next few days).

The Beyer DT150 offers up absolutely incredible bass, but supports it with nicely balanced sound through the rest of the spectrum.  It has a nice wide soundstage, and as long as you don't have an enormous noggin, they are pretty comfortable as well.

It might be a safer bet given your demands.

Jul 9, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #7 of 8
I'd suggest the Denon D2000.  It meets your criteria, IMO.

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 8
As joelpearce mentioned. Ultrasones do tend to be a love them or hate them can. If you can find a good deal for them on the FS forum you can likely make back most of your money if they don't work out for you.

I completely forgot about the Denons. They would probably suit your needs as well though I found they didn't isolate particularly well. They do better than the DT770s in all the areas you mentioned. The bass quantity is less than the DT770s but the Denons can be Eq'd to ridiculous levels without distorting. The mids on the on the D2000s are better than the DT770s though they are still recessed. For me it's more of a minor annoyance than anything. The highs are also better on the Denons though some have reported sibilance with them though I personally haven't unless the recording already had sibilance present. I also found them to be extremely comfortable more so than the Beyers which is really saying something. I feel it's really difficult to beat either the Ultrasone or Denon sound for trance and the like. Speaking as a fellow trance addict, I think the Ultrasones edge out the Denons for trance but both are very good choices. Though I feel the Denons almost require amping while with the Ultrasones it's only recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back