Upgrade for my M50s (Including amp if req.)
Jan 14, 2012 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Naphta

New Head-Fier
I currently own my M50s and am playing them through my Asus D2X soundcard. Overall I like them, but sometimes I feel the sound doesn't have enough presence. So I guess I want more sub bass?

I'm currently thinking my budget is £300 for everything, and ideally would like to buy from Amazon or another company which can be considered very good in regards to warranty and customer service.

I can't really find any headphones to suggest otherwise I would list them.

I'm not very good at listing the attributes etc, otherwise I would also do that.

I would however quite like them to be open back rather than closed, as on my old HD555s I loved the open feel of them. And I also listen to most sorts of electronic music, (Trance, House, DnB and so on.) but I do listen to alot of different sorts of music. Although they are my main goal but I dont want something which is only good at one sort of music.

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 12
Try the Pro2900, open, excellent bass quality and quantity, comfortable, good soundstage, fast and very detailled headphone. Fantastic all rounder for the price.

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
I'm not quite sure you'll get that amount of sub-bass from an open can at that low of a price-- or maybe any price.  Try a Beyer DT770-80 perhaps?

If I were to get a DT770, what would else would I get, as I feel like I would be severely under budget really. Unfortunately there is nowhere I can go and actually try some phones around my way.

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I just had a quick look, and they seem a little over my budget @ £320

Quote:
And I also listen to most sorts of electronic music, (Trance, House, DnB and so on.)

If you aren't bothered with recessed mids, why not try the pro900.

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
Try the Pro2900, open, excellent bass quality and quantity, comfortable, good soundstage, fast and very detailled headphone. Fantastic all rounder for the price.

Bingo. we have a winner 
smile.gif

Still the benchmark for me regarding the Zimmer/Daft Punk Tron Legacy soundtrack.

Now that's a good test album for the OP.

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
the Zimmer/Daft Punk Tron Legacy soundtrack.

Yes, even if its more a Zimmer soundtrack than a Daft Punk soudtrack,lol. (from a DP fan,lol).

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 12
So the Pro2900s are definitely what I want to be looking at? I don't mind stretching my budget a little if it makes the difference.

However, would these need to be amped to work as well as possible? As I was hoping to include an amp in budget if the phones required it.

Also, where should I buy from in the UK? Amazon don't sell those.

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
So the Pro2900s are definitely what I want to be looking at? I don't mind stretching my budget a little if it makes the difference.

However, would these need to be amped to work as well as possible? As I was hoping to include an amp in budget if the phones required it.

Also, where should I buy from in the UK? Amazon don't sell those.

http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/ultrasone-headphones.html

329 quid.

You won't need much for an amp. Ask iHeadphones if they can bundle in a small portable like a Fiio E11.

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #12 of 12
Just got them after buying them. They do not dissapoint. Bass is more than enough, probably about the same as my m50s which is interesting, I guess I had some bad m50s bass wise.

But the rest, is exactly what I wanted and better. I thought I might lose out on bass which was my only concern. The bass is snappy and I think I'm in love! And the rest is literally indescribable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back