Upgrade fever
Oct 17, 2010 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jozurr

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everyone.

I currently own 2 iems. The PL30 and the Brainwavz M1. I'm loving both of them. I can't listen to the KSC-75 because of the piercing treble. Now I'm looking to upgrade for them. The most important factor for me is comfort because I sleep in them and I have small ear canals. Sound should be similar to the PL30s and the M1s with smooth treble, no excessive bass and clear vocals where I can enjoy my pink floyd.

I looked into the MC5 but the comfort factor and how they stick out put me off. I also looked into the Re-zero but I don't I want to go with the adapter thing. HJE-900 has too much treble and bass. Custom-3 seemed pretty reasonable, but the wire put me off (specially because I don't live in the US and I can't claim warranty in my country). 

What do you guys think is a decent upgrade? Budget is around $100

Oct 17, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #2 of 11
the Re0 is without the adapter. I think this is a very neutral in ear with very good highs and not too much bass. And it´s cheaper than the Re-Zero. (90$ with shipping)

Oct 17, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
the Re0 is without the adapter. I think this is a very neutral in ear with very good highs and not too much bass. And it´s cheaper than the Re-Zero. (90$ with shipping)

The RE-0 needs an amp to sound good. My fuze can only drive the M1s which I listen at around 70-80 volume so I don't think the RE-0s can be driven with my fuze. Secondly I've read that they lack bass and sound thin. I really can't risk bass lesser than the M1s because I enjoy some trance music too sometimes and I need some bass quantity too.

Oct 18, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 11
Any other thoughts people?

Oct 18, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 11
You do realise that if you're discounting the re0 for a lack of bass then that also rules out etymotic's, also if you have ruled out the hje900 for too much bass and custom 3 and the re-zero for it's adapter then you have pretty much ruled out most of the options at $100. You've either indirectly or directly ruled out; ety mc5, ety hf5, re0, re-zero, hje900, sennheiser ie6/7 and custom 3 having not heard them. The only two I can think of that are left are the beyer dtx100 and the monster turbine. The beyer more or less sits in the middle sound wise and is good for the price, the monster i haven't heard.

Also don't believe everything written on here, 80% of what's written is 80% rubbish on any forum.

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 11
Well yeah that's the reason I needed a opinion. Having read up alot and not knowing what to go for because I don't want to end up with an iem which has the KSC-75 like treble or is uncomfortable like the first iems I got and so on. So far having made informed decisions I've ended up with two really good iems. I need an upgrade.

I can increase my budget upto $130 if that helps..

Oct 24, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
and the "phnoak audeo perfect bass"? (bassier, but neutral and under 130$, 89$ from amazon.com)

x2. It fits pretty much what the OP is looking for.

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 11
i heard so much about it at the german hifi-forum... The thing is: because of this I want to have these for myself!
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
x2. It fits pretty much what the OP is looking for.

[size=medium]
How is the sound of the phonak audeo perfect bass compared to the phonaks which cost $140? Also.. what about the build quality issues?
[/size]

Oct 24, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back