Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Sep 16, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #496 of 1,469
For those of you who are about to receive their players, please make sure to be proactive and buy a couple of 32 GB SD cards and pre-load them up.
It's going to feel horrible to have this Mona Lisa sitting in your living room, and not to have any nails to be able to hang it up in your favorite spot.

Get your reference tracks loaded and cued up and hit the ground running the minute that the guy in the uniform who smells like diesel comes a-knocking on your front door.
smile.gif

BTW- The HiFiMAN has no problems playing nice with 300 ohms. It seems to get along with all of the children in the playground, choosing no favorites.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #499 of 1,469
Seems like Japanese texts are ok. But not tried so many, since my FLAC library flies use almost Alpha-numeric characters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review,sasaki.

I have a question to sasaki.
Is Japanese ID tag garbled in HM-801?

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #500 of 1,469
This is a favorable update
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We have finished the 24bit FLAC support patch yesterday. In previous firmware we noticed that some 24bit FLAC can not be supported. (Sasaki reported same problem last week). The new patch will help Hifiman HM-801 player play most HDtracks. We will test the new firmware today and tomorrow, and ship several orders (some orders on early May) in this week.

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #501 of 1,469
What is the recommended method of copying / transferring music in Apple Lossless. With an Ipod - we just sync it using iTunes - how about 801.

Perhaps there will be higher capacity SDHC cards (more than 32 G) to be released soon, so I am going to wait in terms of buying the SDHC card until I get a shipping notice ...

Thanks
Sunil.

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #502 of 1,469
Hifiman 801 does not support ALAC at the moment and there will be no bigger storage SDHC card in the future--for that we need SXDC as informed in the threads.

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #504 of 1,469
My remastered Beatles (Mono) eagerly await the HiFiMan! (THEY ARE REMASTERED TOO LOUD, BUT THAT IS A DIFFERENT FORUM, LOL)

May I ask what music any of the lucky three who got their player are playing through their HiFiMan?

There may be somthing in my collection that can show the HiFiMan shine.

So what songs have impressed you with the virtures of the HiFiMAN?

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #506 of 1,469
I use Jazz, World, Classic and Rock as well. HiFiMan reveals every bit of details on the track, so popular musics can be a bit hard because of the poor recordings. As you suggested, remaster would work fine.
Anyway, not by Genre, HifiMan shines on good recordings.
As I wrote before, LINN downloads are great too. I think their recordings are of analogue like silky smooth sounding. 96/24 studio masters are remarkable.
http://www.linnrecords.com/index.aspx

For those of you do not have FLAC, I recommend you to download "Jazz & Blues experience" from HDTracks. This is free.

Hdtracks | HDtracks Jazz and Blues Experience download page

Download them and prepare for HiFiMan
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by rxxdoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My remastered Beatles (Mono) eagerly await the HiFiMan! (THEY ARE REMASTERED TOO LOUD, BUT THAT IS A DIFFERENT FORUM, LOL)

May I ask what music any of the lucky three who got their player are playing through their HiFiMan?

There may be somthing in my collection that can show the HiFiMan shine.

So what songs have impressed you with the virtures of the HiFiMAN?

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #508 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those of you who have the unit how about posting a few pictures. Thanks.

Here is some more.
Click picture to see larger.

The mid one is a comparison to iHP140&D10. The right one is a CG comparison to iHP140, the blue one is iHP140.

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #510 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by nnotis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My apologies if this has already been addressed, but have there been any SDHC recommendations? Regarding 32 gig cards specifically, will class 4 be sufficient for high res audio playback? Or will class 6 offer noticeable performance advantages?

I'm not an expert in this area but would share what I know. The more knowledge head-fiers here please correct me if needed.

A red book CD takes about 10MB per minute and the sampling rate is 16 bit/44.1k That translate to about 1MB per 6 seconds.

For a 24/96 file the factor we need is (24/16)*(96/44.1) ~ 3.26. Hence the data rate will be about 1MB/1.87 seconds. For a class 4 the data rate should be 4MB/second (=1MB/0.25 second). Hence it should be adequate.

There should be some overheads in reading the SDHC card, the circuits, etc.... As long as the overhead will not introduce a factor of 7 in the reading time, a class 4 SDHC card should be adequate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back