UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5
Jan 15, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #571 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by ekim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Larry - HeadphoneAddict,

Thank you for the excellent reviews on the portable DAC/Amp's. I have a HD-580, and recently purchased and am enjoying a V1 from Vivid Technology based on your your reviews.

In response to your "decide if I will start to include desktop DAC amps or not" in your Jan 4 posting, it would be great if could review desktop DAC Amps and share with us your experience and opinion.

Please, include CA DACMagic among your selections, and keep up the good work ... thanks/e

I don't believe the DACMagic is a amp, I thought it was a DAC only. Desktop DAC/Amps would be like the Octavert 01, Travagans White (which is not here right now), Travagans Green, Nuforce Icon desktop, Apogee Mini-DAC and Duet, Lavry DA10, Benchmark DAC1, Glow Audio Amp One. I am just not ready to travel that route right now. Some I have now, some I could borrow, and some I have no way to get a hold of them.

I did post my thoughts of the DACMagic in one of the two big DACMagic threads back in early November with occasional clarifications of what I heard later on in the thread (do a search). In a head to head comparison at the 11/1/087 Colorado head-fi meet, the DACMagic was a little below the Stello DA10 and Apogee mini-DAC in that is was a little softer on the attacks and a little more polite sounding (possibly an attempt to get it to sound more analog). There may be other comments about it that I can't remember. I did not get to compare it to the Pico as a DAC/pre-amp, but I feel the Pico is on the level of the Stello and Apogee as well. The DACMagic is no slouch, but it was just a little below the next step up in DACs. I would rank it higher than all the portable DAC's except for the Pico.

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #572 of 1,096
Brilliant review! It's been invaluable getting my thoughts straight trying to find the right amp for me.

The only one addition I would have liked to see would be a US$ amount at the time of testing to help those that have a certain 'dollar limit' choose theirs from the list.
Of course this is me being lazy
smily_headphones1.gif

I could of course just look up the prices online..

Again. Great review(s). Many many thanks.

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #573 of 1,096
Thank you HeadphoneAddict,

Because of your post of all the different amps, I was able to decide on the P-51 as one of the top performers and am more than happy with this amp! It's quality and sound is tuff to beat for the price it's in.

Thank you for having an obsession as it made it easy for me!

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #575 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would rank it (DACMagic) higher than all the portable DAC's except for the Pico.

Larry,

While keeping your comments in mind, I placed an order for a DACMagic with a local dealer. Apparently, demands for DACMagic is very high everywhere and hard to get. My unit should be available for pickup within next 1-2 weeks.

Your expert reviews and comments are very educational, and it is much appreciated ... cheers/e

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #576 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by ekim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I placed an order for a DACMagic with a local dealer.

Who'd you get it from in the T.?

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #577 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by oogabooga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who'd you get it from in the T.?

Lockridge Hi-Fi in Markham. Ask for Yan (905.475.6300) and tell him that Edward Kim sent you there. Hope, this helps.

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #580 of 1,096
Wow.. Ibasso D10.. Another temptation.. Great..
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Anyway, this is THE reference thread for those looking for portable (?) USB DAC.. I bought D2 Boa based on the reviews here, and I must say I'm not disappointed
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, HeadphoneAddict..
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #581 of 1,096
In this case, I am making an exception for the D10 and reviewing it with optical and USB DAC.

The iBasso D1 USB DAC was on the level or slightly above the Headstage USB DAC, but the optical DAC was well above the USB DAC. The D1 amp section could only match the Lyrix when the opamps were upgraded for almost $100.

To keep them on a level playing field I ignored the optical DAC since more people have USB than Optical on their PC's, and I had reviewed it as an optical DAC in Jamato8 big D1 thread already (and Skylab also reviewed the optical DAC and found it better than the original MOVE when MOVE was by USB and D1 was by optical).

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #583 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank goodness, it only got better for you (funny we never hear negative burn-in attributes always positive). anyway, color me a big time skeptic, but more power to you.

you heard of burn out?

@larry, amazing, amazing reviews, such great content and layout, brilliant!

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #584 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you heard of burn out?

@larry, amazing, amazing reviews, such great content and layout, brilliant!

Thanks!

D10 arrived today, but I can't start listening and burning in for a couple more hours...

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #585 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks!

D10 arrived today, but I can't start listening and burning in for a couple more hours...

WUSS!
wink.gif
get to work and have a 20 page report w/ graphs and pictures done by 10:00pm tonight!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

On a serious note I just took a quick listen (72 hour mark) and the D10 has a nice soundstage both in width and depth. I sure look forward to testing it at the 200 hour mark.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back