UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5
Dec 17, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #482 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by clownzee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
new case???? what new case??? omg.

I mean, "Amp Housing" not a case to put it in.

Some of the larger diameter 1/8" aftermarket Neutrik headphone plugs hit a thin lip around the headphone jack, and prevent full insertion. In my case these fatter plugs are only on my full size headphones that were re-cabled by APS. The smaller version of the plug from Neutrik (like those on several of my line out docks) fit fine. But the APS cable is thicker than normal headphone cables and needed a wider plug. Nuforce made some changes so wider headphone plugs will be less of an issue in the future. If a person has a problem, Nuforce will give them the newer case/shell for the amp.

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #484 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean, "Amp Housing" not a case to put it in.

Some of the larger diameter 1/8" aftermarket Neutrik headphone plugs hit a thin lip around the headphone jack, and prevent full insertion. In my case these fatter plugs are only on my full size headphones that were re-cabled by APS. The smaller version of the plug from Neutrik (like those on several of my line out docks) fit fine. But the APS cable is thicker than normal headphone cables and needed a wider plug. Nuforce made some changes so wider headphone plugs will be less of an issue in the future. If a person has a problem, Nuforce will give them the newer case/shell for the amp.

Oops, I didn't see this. I had a problem with my LOD. This was buried in this thread, and I had not seen anyone complain about the problem before. My hope is Jason will contact me ASAP since I really want to keep the amp. Does that black case/cover just pop off?

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #485 of 1,096
Quote:

The Nuforce and XM5 USB DAC seem to have a good level of detail as well, despite the lack of a high technology DAC circuit like a USB receiver > I2S > Wolfson WM8740, and are are at least as good as the 2MOVE and Predator DAC (i.e. better than Headstage DAC).

What kind of DAC does Nuforce use?

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #486 of 1,096
'(icon mobile ) not first choice for Grado but would not avoid the amp because one owns Grados,'

For synergy w/ Grados, how would you compare Nuforce icon mobile vs ibasso D2 boa?

It sounded like overall you thought they were equal but different; each had its strengths and weaknesses but ended up tied at #5. But it also sounded like there were pretty specific potential problems w/ each w/ respect to the Grados (sibilance, low midrange bump and suck out, female vocals). Does it still come down to equal but different depending on individual preference when it comes to using w/ Grado?

Is there a first choice in this price range for Grados?

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #487 of 1,096
Hats off to HeadphoneAddict for a great review.

In looking at his picks and cruising online, there is a great discrepancy between the prices for these amps. It seems that you get what you pay for.

Of the list, the Nuforce seems to be the best value for the dollar, other considerations set aside.

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #488 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by bostitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the battery life on the Nuforce icon mobile?

13 hours, I got anywhere between 10-15 hours depending on the volume used, and it takes about 2-3 hours to charge up.

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #489 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvlgato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of DAC does Nuforce use?

"C-Media USB Headphone Set" is all I know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Per Nuforce Website:

USB DAC:

USB 2.0 compatible
Supports 44.1kHz and 48kHz native sampling rates
Microphone input: 16-bit ADC 4-pin mini stereo compatible headsets

It seems to be on par with the DAC in the Predator, 2MOVE and XM5 and a little better than the USB DAC in the Headstage, or the USB portion of the iBasso D1 (optical was really much better). The DAC's using the Wolfson WM8740 Like Pico and iBasso are a little more detailed and spacious).

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #490 of 1,096
How many hours burn-in does the XM5 have at this point?
wink.gif

I'm really excited about that review coming up! Might be just what I'm looking for for my Ety er4p...

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #491 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oops, I didn't see this. I had a problem with my LOD. This was buried in this thread, and I had not seen anyone complain about the problem before. My hope is Jason will contact me ASAP since I really want to keep the amp. Does that black case/cover just pop off?

I think you separate the halves with a screw driver through the gain switch opening. But, I would PM or email Nuforce about it first - they have been very helpful.

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #492 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvlgato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'(icon mobile ) not first choice for Grado but would not avoid the amp because one owns Grados,'

For synergy w/ Grados, how would you compare Nuforce icon mobile vs ibasso D2 boa?

It sounded like overall you thought they were equal but different; each had its strengths and weaknesses but ended up tied at #5. But it also sounded like there were pretty specific potential problems w/ each w/ respect to the Grados (sibilance, low midrange bump and suck out, female vocals). Does it still come down to equal but different depending on individual preference when it comes to using w/ Grado?

Is there a first choice in this price range for Grados?

I would say equal but different, and both better than the V1 with Grados.

The D2 Boa could be used to add some distance between you and the instruments in jazz and classical, but the soundstage is more diffuse and less precise (like Stax SR-Lambda) while the Nuforce soundstage was more precise and focused (like Stax SR-5NB or SR-X). So with Rock music, the D2's middle-mids and upper-mids seem pulled back a little more in relation to the lower-mids and upper-bass. So, with vocals and rock I prefer the Nuforce, but jazz and classical are still good with the Nuforce because imaging is important with those.

It also depends on what Grados you are using. The MS-1 and RS-2 are a little more forward sounding, while the HF-1 and RS-1 have a little bigger soundstage. So, I can use flats on the HF-1 and RS-1 with the D2 Boa to not have a feeling of distant recessed mids, but in the end I decided that with bowls I prefer the Nuforce (esp with rock).

1st place in the price range with Grados is the Headstage Lyrix or rolled opamp iBasso D1, but the DAC is not quite as detailed.

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #493 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many hours burn-in does the XM5 have at this point?
wink.gif

I'm really excited about that review coming up! Might be just what I'm looking for for my Ety er4p...

About 110 hours, but PD said it only needs about 8 hours. For fairness sake with all the other amps having 200-1000 hours at time of review, I am doing 180-200 hours so if it doesn't beat another amp we wont all wonder how it would have ended if it had as many hours as the others I reviewed.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem to be changing much with more time, and sounded great out of the box. I expect to be done by the end of the weekend. Although I said the same with the Nuforce I only needed the one extra day than I promised to finish it.

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #494 of 1,096
Quote:

I think you separate the halves with a screw driver through the gain switch opening. But, I would PM or email Nuforce about it first - they have been very helpful.

Jason is going to send me a new amp to replace this one. Also, another Head-Fi'er just modded his by trimming away the excess around the jack. I am just going to wait for the new one.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #495 of 1,096
Quote:

13 hours, I got anywhere between 10-15 hours depending on the volume used, and it takes about 2-3 hours to charge up.

Thanks! That's not bad, considering its size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back